A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Child's woven Easter basket  (Read 1129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

devotedplanet
« on: April 06, 2009 06:40:38 AM »

So this wasn't actually made by me, but by my 5 year old daughter. We were both bored yesterday, so I googled "easter crafts for kids". I wasn't very hopeful since we've just moved and I have no idea where all her art supplies are. Fortunately, I found this tutorial, which was perfect.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11094

We didn't have poster board, but I had a whole box full of cardboard to be recycled, and we didn't have egg dye or a white shirt, but I knew my husband and I both needed to clean our closets out. We found 3 pastel t-shirts and I found some thin cardboard that was the perfect size, so my daughter and I got started. After about half an hour, she had finished this:

I'm so happy that I found the link - we moved to Norway last year, and Easter is celebrated differently. Instead of a basket, children receive a cardboard egg that's filled with candy. That's just fine with my daughter, but she wanted to know what she was going to use to put her eggs in during the Easter egg hunt, which also isn't done here. My husband and I looked everywhere for an Easter basket last Saturday with no luck, so I was going to cave and buy an expensive decorative basket so she'd have something to use.
Instead, she had a lot of fun making this herself and is very, very proud. She told me that she thought the Easter bunny was going to be very impressed and wonder where she managed to buy such a nice basket.  Wink

To make the handle, I braided the hems of the three shirts we used and then tucked them down into the woven inside before hot gluing them. The strips cover the sides of the cardboard really well, but the bottom is exposed, so I cut a circle of pink fabric and glued it inside.  I also glued a yellow strip of fabric around the top to finish it after we were done weaving. I went through a lot of hot glue but it seems really stable. We'll certainly be doing this next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009 06:49:52 AM »

Great job by your daughter- and you. Very good thinking. And I know the Easter bunny will be so impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 07:30:37 AM »

Awesome!
I love it................
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Henna
The Art of Brown Tape
Learn about Sufi Art
Learn about Abstract Transcendental Art
The Art of Chinese Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...