A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Google ads moved to new annoying location  (Read 3600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009 06:35:13 AM »

It's totally everyone's right to use ad blockers but just keep in mind that if you to this you're preventing us from making a certain amount of money that we need to run this site. Sad And you're missing out on some great crafty advertisers. Smiley

For those who are unhappy with the current kinds of ads and ad placements right now...

We are working our butts off to get more and more craft-related advertisers. Every day we get a little further with this but it's a tough nut to crack. I'm sure you've noticed that the internet is exploding with ads for cell phones and not so much with ads for sewing machines. Wink But we're working hard to change that here on Craftster! We've got an awesome sales dude who's on the phone all day long working on this.

In the mean time we've still got 4 full-time employees to pay and an expensive server cluster. So we need to do what we can to bring in money but at the same time we certainly want to hear everyone's feedback on how we are doing at this and if we need to improve or change how we're doing this.

So thank you for the feedback!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 06:35:58 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009 06:45:18 AM »

First of all I want to thank everyone at Craftster who works to have pertinent ads on the site. 

That said, I am more than happy to have some ads on my screen (and yes I've even checked out some of the crafty companies who advertise here) if it means that Craftster can keep running, and pay its employees a livable wage. 

Who am I to complain if a company wants to subsidize my favourite website, and if looking at their ads is the price to pay for this wonderful site, then so be it.

And just think, unlike the problems with other forms of media, the advertisers don't censor what goes on here, so there's really nothing to worry about  Smiley.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
antarcticraft

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009 08:43:52 AM »

BS. I used to be a FoC, there were several long threads in that forum discussing various other options. Why did I not renew my FoC? You Sweets. I don't know exactly what I did but even after long stretches of not posting I still get attitude from you and I never could figure out exactly what it was that I did to get such animosity from you. Of course everyone who hasn't got the "too bad, shut up" side of Sweets will pile on & tell me I'm the mean one, I expect that, such is the internet.
bye bye.

One gentle suggestion would be to start off by writing your posts and your comments with a positive and respectful tone, rather than using profanity and an disresepctful attitude. If you start off with that mentality, it becomes really difficult to interpret any response (typed, on the internet) as anything other than "attitude."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
IamSusie
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009 09:32:44 AM »

I'm just weighing in to say that the little google ads do not bother me.  I hardly notice them.  The ads that I don't like are the ones that move and flash excessively.  Thank goodness the amount of those ads is way down here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009 09:35:45 AM »

I'm just weighing in to say that the little google ads do not bother me.  I hardly notice them.  The ads that I don't like are the ones that move and flash excessively.  Thank goodness the amount of those ads is way down here.

My personal thoughts exactly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009 09:36:35 AM »

Thanks for the feedback IAmSusie and all! Smiley We're working hard to replace those ads with good-looking craft company ads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
wanderingskopos
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009 10:49:24 AM »

This is one of the few sites that I allow to show ads, even though I do have AdBlocker. I don't click them, since I don't normally do online shopping, but I've allowed them and frankly I hardly notice them anymore. The ads here are unobtrusive compared to most sites, and some of the craft-related ones are even fun!

(And the Google ad font is smaller than the post font, at least on Firefox.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AsphaltQueen
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009 11:13:26 AM »

Hunh. I didn't even notice the google ads after the second post until it was just pointed out to me. Yeah, I'm quick like that. Wink

As for the ads, yeah, I like it better the old way but this has been hashed and rehased over many a different discussion. I do think you guys have done a great job of getting rid of the really annoying ads and I've gotten used to the others. Plus, I'd say that close to 75% of the ads I see are crafting related. (Even if it's only a very loose link, like with that maghound thingie - they do have crafting mags, so I count that as a crafty link.)

I'm already a FOC and don't think I'd spend extra money to go add-free. Obviously it depends on the pricing, but I don't think you guys could make it cheap enough to where I'd say "Yeah, that's worth it."

That's my $0.02 and I just wanted wanted to throw it out there before this thread gets too snarky and I stop reading it. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009 11:26:55 AM »

Hunh. I didn't even notice the google ads after the second post until it was just pointed out to me. Yeah, I'm quick like that. Wink

As for the ads, yeah, I like it better the old way but this has been hashed and rehased over many a different discussion. I do think you guys have done a great job of getting rid of the really annoying ads and I've gotten used to the others. Plus, I'd say that close to 75% of the ads I see are crafting related. (Even if it's only a very loose link, like with that maghound thingie - they do have crafting mags, so I count that as a crafty link.)

I'm already a FOC and don't think I'd spend extra money to go add-free. Obviously it depends on the pricing, but I don't think you guys could make it cheap enough to where I'd say "Yeah, that's worth it."

That's my $0.02 and I just wanted wanted to throw it out there before this thread gets too snarky and I stop reading it. Wink

Thanks for your feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009 11:27:23 AM »

This is one of the few sites that I allow to show ads, even though I do have AdBlocker. I don't click them, since I don't normally do online shopping, but I've allowed them and frankly I hardly notice them anymore. The ads here are unobtrusive compared to most sites, and some of the craft-related ones are even fun!

(And the Google ad font is smaller than the post font, at least on Firefox.)

Good info.  Thanks for replying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Discovering Limburger Cheese
Watertown South Dakota County Fair
The Relish Cooking Show Watertown
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...