A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: VENT--looks like pajamas  (Read 1044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsmartin428
« on: April 04, 2009 03:45:42 PM »

I spent the day making my daughters' Easter outfits.  I used easy-fit pants and the portrait peasant top patterns from YCMT.  Don't get me wrong, I love the patterns and I do think they came out cute...just a little too much like pajamas.

I think if I had gone with a heavier-weight solid fabric for the pants it wouldn't be so bad. 

Oh well, at least they'll be comfy.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
CeraMom
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009 12:07:44 PM »

Lets see!

Actually... the very first things I did make were jammies. Mostly because I knew they'd look like crap and no one cares what my kids wear to bed!

I'm sure they look fabulous and un-pj like to the rest of us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsmartin428
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 12:11:43 PM »

I only have a pic of my older daughter wearing hers, the little one was in desperate need of a bath after dinner.  I think if I add a sash or something it might make them look less pajama-ish.

I'm open to suggestions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009 02:04:08 PM »

They're adorable!  I love those fabrics!!  I do think that sashes might help if you think they look too pajama-like.  Of course, all dolled up with cute shoes and such, I don't think anyone would mistake them for pj's.  Relax, you did a great job!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsmartin428
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009 05:42:53 PM »

They're adorable!  I love those fabrics!!  I do think that sashes might help if you think they look too pajama-like.  Of course, all dolled up with cute shoes and such, I don't think anyone would mistake them for pj's.  Relax, you did a great job!!   Smiley

They're Michael Miller fabrics (I think it's called Farmer's Market).  I love the colors/prints in them, but I will say that they wrinkle something awful when you wash them, and you have to really steam them pretty good with the iron...never had that much of a problem with Amy Butler fabrics and wrinkling.  That was part of the reason why I did a peasant-top instead of one of the cute twirly tops, I figured the elastic neckline and sleeves would help disguise some of the wrinkles (which it did).

I think I'm deffinately going to try a sash...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kymy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009 07:43:07 PM »

ETA:  They look great!!!  I thought that was the first thing I typed until after I hit post & re read it!

That's weird, I have never had problems with MM fabric being wrinkly... I love the fact that I can take it out of the dryer warm & go at it!  I have washed 6 or 7 yard cuts with out issue.  I did find if there is more then half a load of laundry in the dryer or they are left in the dryer after it turns off they do wrinkle.

Anyways I agree with the PP.  I can see how they look kinda PJ like, but at the same time a LOT of the boutique sets with printed pants kinda do!  I think that you are right about the busy fabric  I definitely think a sash in the pink or a solid pink would help, & maybe a headband in the cherries? 

I have noticed with that style of pants (not just their pattern) that fabric pattern choice & color can make a big difference between boutique & PJ.

They're Michael Miller fabrics (I think it's called Farmer's Market).  I love the colors/prints in them, but I will say that they wrinkle something awful when you wash them, and you have to really steam them pretty good with the iron...never had that much of a problem with Amy Butler fabrics and wrinkling.  That was part of the reason why I did a peasant-top instead of one of the cute twirly tops, I figured the elastic neckline and sleeves would help disguise some of the wrinkles (which it did).

I think I'm deffinately going to try a sash...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009 07:44:49 PM by Kymy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
mrsmartin428
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009 01:39:00 AM »

I know I can do headbands with what I have left over, but the only fabric that would coordinate would be a solid green that coordinates with the green in the cherry fabric.  Normally I'm not too into the boutique look but wanted to do something special for when we go down to my Mom's for Easter, she's having surgery on the 21st and starting her second round of chemo...because the kids are young she doesn't want them to see her when she's sick like that so it'll be the last time she sees them for a few months.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devotedabbler
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009 06:23:47 PM »

They are very cute but they do look like they could be pajamas. I think it is becuase of the fabric combination  and the bottom cuffs. You see lots of girls PJ s in cherries or pink floral. Next time Try a solid with a pattern and maybe ruffles at the bottom instead of a cuff?? If you want to look more outtfitish  I would add maybe 3 buttons to the top (maybe cherries) and add a grograin ribbon accent at the top of the cuff. I think they are very cute and you did a great job. It is so hard sometimes to get everything to coordinate the way we envision it. 

I hope this does not hurt your feelings, I would always rather get constructive feedback so I wanted to share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May our efforts reflect our values.
May the variety in life bring us joy.
May we seek to inspire not compete.
May we have happy hearts.
mrsmartin428
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009 06:06:57 AM »

They are very cute but they do look like they could be pajamas. I think it is becuase of the fabric combination  and the bottom cuffs. You see lots of girls PJ s in cherries or pink floral. Next time Try a solid with a pattern and maybe ruffles at the bottom instead of a cuff?? If you want to look more outtfitish  I would add maybe 3 buttons to the top (maybe cherries) and add a grograin ribbon accent at the top of the cuff. I think they are very cute and you did a great job. It is so hard sometimes to get everything to coordinate the way we envision it. 

I hope this does not hurt your feelings, I would always rather get constructive feedback so I wanted to share.

You didn't hurt my feelings, the reason I posted it here was to get advice on where I went wrong so that it doesn't happen again.   Grin  I was going to do grosgrain trim but was a little too pressed for time and couldn't make it out to the store...I hadn't thought about doing decorative buttons though, I'll have to try that next time.

I had talked to my older daughter about doing a ruffle but she didn't want that (she is so not a girlie-girl).  I think I'm probably going to opt for a ruffle the next time I make these pants though...I'm sure once she gets them on and gets loads of attention she'll come around.  It's taken 6 years but I've finally got her wearing hairbows, hopefully it doesn't take that long to get her into dresses.   Wink
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009 06:07:52 AM by mrsmartin428 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon CLS, Wireless Flash System
How to Use the Flash Umbrella Swivels
How to Shoot a Model Portfolio
The Importance of Test Shoots
Lighting Techniques for Beauty Shots
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...