A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Tin Can Drawstring Bag  (Read 16859 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 03, 2009 09:49:57 PM »

This is a bag I've had in my head for ages and only recently got around to making one.  I'm making these for my boys' school teachers this easter filled with easter eggs.  I couldn't find any easter themed fabric, so I just chose some fabric in the colours the teachers would like.

Please do not sell this tutorial - even if altered in some way.  Please respect this so that these tutorials can continue.  In saying this, though, you are welcome to sell what you make using this tutorial.

OK.  Onto the tutorial.  Firstly, you will need a tin - any sized tin will do.  In saying that, it will make your life easier if your tin fits over the end of your sewing machine (you will see why later in the tutorial).  Wash and dry your tin thoroughly.  If you choose a tin in which a smell lingers, wash it in a 20% bleach solution.  It will get rid of any nasty odours left behind!!

Now you need to measure the diametre of the tin.  You can see from the picture that mine is a little under 4 inches.  You need to give yourself about 1/8th inch 'give', so I took the 4 inch measurement.

Now you need to make a circle.  The radius of my circle is half the diametre of the tin - ie. 2 inches plus 1/4 inch seam allowance therefore measure 2 1/4 inches on your compass and draw a circle:

Cut 2 circles - one from the outer fabric and one from the lining fabric:

OK.  Here's the maths.  Next you will need to work out what size your sides will be.  On your calculator, type in this:

4 (tin diametre with no seam allowances) x 3.142 (pi) =

The answer in this case is 12.56 which I rounded to 12.5 inches.  Next add seam allowances which will be 1/2 inch (1/4 inch either end of the rectangle).  So the width of the side will be cut to 13 inches.

OK.  That's the hardest part!!  Now you need to work out what height you will make your bag.  This is really up to you but there needs to be a minimum - which is the tin height, plus half the diametre, plus two seam allowances.  My measurements were:

4 1/4 (height of tin) + 2 (half diametre) + 1/2 (two seam allowances) + 1 (I wanted the bag a little higher) = 7 3/4.  Then I just rounded it off to 8 for simplicity's sake.

Therefore I cut my sides 13 x 8.  Cut one of the outer fabric and one of lining fabric

If you want, you can embellish the sides with ribbon, lace, decorative trim or whatever you like.

Fold down and press 1/4 inch along the 13 inch (circumference measurement) length of both the outer and lining fabrics:

On the wrong side of the outer fabric, make a mark 1/2 inch down from the fold:

Fold the rectangle in half so that the 8 inch sides line up (the height measurement) and start sewing from the top and stop at the fold.  Restart sewing at the 1/2 inch mark you just made down to the bottom of the seam:

Repeat with the lining but simply sew the complete seam from top to bottom:

Press seam open and on the right side, sew a rectangle around the opening of the seam to strengthen it:

Clip into the seam allowance, about every 1/2 inch or so, along the bottom raw edge:

Pin the circle to the cylinder.  With the circle on the bottom, sew the cylinder to the circle. 

Repeat for the lining:

Place tin inside the outer bag:

Place the lining inside the tin, making sure to line up the seams:

Pin the layers together:

Now, this is where you need to make sure the bag can fit under the presser foot sufficiently.  If not, you will need to hand sew the layers together then sew another line of stitching to form a casing.

Sew two lines of stitching as shown below to form a casing (whether the stitching is by machine or hand will depend on whether the bag fits under your machine's presser foot):

Thread ribbon or cord through the casing and knot the ends to secure.  Fill with whatever and enjoy!!  You can also use the tin to hold 'stuff' if you push the top of the drawstring bag down into the tin, like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightOwl21

after all this time I finally show my true form

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009 10:11:08 PM »

wow! now that is a really cool idea!  thank you for sharing they are so beautiful! totally rocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have 2 shops! Scandalous! Take a visit and enjoy Smiley

Jewelry and Wedding Accessories: http://www.somewearintyme.etsy.com

Crafts and supplies: http://www.squidooink.etsy.com

Wists: http://www.wists.com/nightowl21

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/somesquid
muffinpants
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009 10:23:19 PM »

Wow, that was an awesome tutorial! So clear and detailed, especially with the measurements!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009 02:19:36 AM »

Thank you! I was just trying to figure out how to make a drawstring bag for a bottle, this helps a lot (I am sooo bad in making things up myself)!
I'm going to try it with a tin, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
Padester
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009 05:22:59 AM »

I really like this idea, AND the idea of using it for teacher gifts!  I'll have to start collecting cans for use with this - I'll have to bookmark this tute for the end of the year!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rauni
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009 05:44:39 PM »

Thank you so much for the tutorial.  I've taken your instructions and used them to make a wine bottle bag (an anniversary gift for sister-in-law and her husband) and to pretty up some DVD cases that I use to hold pens and stuff.  I only did the outside of these, since they contain things that would just mess up fabric, but it makes them look so much nicer!  Your "math" really helped make these easy projects.  I never sew circle stuff, because I can never get it to fit correctly and it got too frustrating.

Rauni

DVD cases covered:

Interior, left as is:

Action shot:

Wine bottle bag:

Interior of wine bottle bag:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
Pixsydust
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009 06:48:14 PM »

This is a great idea.  The tutorial is so clear and straight forward.  You did a great job.  I will definately be making some of these!!  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009 06:53:59 PM »

This is an awesome tutorial. I think I know what to do with my cd cases now! Hubby used cd's like crazy and always buys the spindles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009 09:29:53 PM »

Thank you so much for the tutorial.  I've taken your instructions and used them to make a wine bottle bag (an anniversary gift for sister-in-law and her husband) and to pretty up some DVD cases that I use to hold pens and stuff.  I only did the outside of these, since they contain things that would just mess up fabric, but it makes them look so much nicer!  Your "math" really helped make these easy projects.  I never sew circle stuff, because I can never get it to fit correctly and it got too frustrating.

Rauni

DVD cases covered:
[img width=499 height=333]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_19595.JPG

Interior, left as is:
[img width=499 height=333]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_19604.JPG

Action shot:
[img width=333 height=500]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_19613.JPG

Wine bottle bag:
[img width=333 height=500]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_19534.JPG

Interior of wine bottle bag:
[img width=499 height=333]http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_19564.JPG

I love the stuff you made. My favorites are the DVD holders turned pen/pencil holders. I will have to make some of those. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
ahhbee
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009 03:12:45 PM »

This is exactly what I was looking for yesterday (but missed it somehow?)!
I actually clicked on to your original (i think) post and got all excited. Thank you for posting the tutoral, I can't wait to make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Dashi
How to Prepare Thai Tomato and Green Bean Salad
How to Make the Perfect Long Grain Rice
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Piri-Piri
Is Sushi Good for You
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...