A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Meet April's Featured Member: Rheatheylia!  (Read 3001 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 03, 2009 02:57:52 PM »

For April's featured hooker, we have a Craftster whose crochet philosophy is one after my own heart. Rheatheylia's wonderful creations often recreate textures and patterns common in knitting, but seen less often in crochet. She's especially known for her hats (which I've seen on many wists, including , including the classy Flapper, the adorable Lattice, the classic Cable, and the ever-popular Divine. And did I mention that she makes wonderful patterns?

Meet Rheatheylia!

Crafty Bio: My real name is Sarah Arnold. Most people assume my name is Rhea because of the whole Rheatheylia thing, but Rheatheylia is really an mix of my two favorite names, Rhea and Ophelia. I live in Ohio with my wonderful husband and our extremely silly, adorable catchild Rogue. Right now I cook, clean, play videogames, and of course craft (I could do without the cleaning, but the rest is great). My mom is an amazing crafter, and the most talented crocheter I know (I keep trying to get her to post on Craftster, maybe she'll read this and finally join!) so I grew up crafting and was always encouraged to make stuff myself.

Q: When did you first start crocheting? Why? Do you remember your first project?

I tried to learn a few times when I was younger, but failed miserably. Then one day about four years ago I learned about amigurumi and was bound and determined to get it right. My mom is left handed so she couldn't really teach me, but she helped a lot by telling me I was slip stitching instead of single crocheting, ha! The first "real" thing I made was this tiny day-glo orange bear, it was horrible, half the limbs were inside out, but I was so proud of it.

Q: What do you usually make? Do you have any favorite kinds of projects, or projects you don't like to do?

I like to make amigurumi the most, I have a soft spot for adorable things, but it seems to work out that I make more hats than anything else, probably because they're fast, easy, and I like the challenge of trying to work a flat stitch pattern so it increases circularly. I'm all about instant gratification, which is why I don't like tedious long projects that are all one stitch. I wish I had the patience to make some of the gorgeous afghans I've seen, but I'd have no hope of ever finishing the project.

Q: What is your "crochet philosophy?"

Hmm, I really like at looking knit hats and figuring out how to do it crochet, so I guess it would be "whatever knitting can do crochet can too" there are so many gorgeous knit hat patterns out there while it seems like most crochet hats are, well, really granny looking, as in my granny actually made hats like that, lol. (shh, don't tell anyone it's actually because I'm totally unable to master double pointed needles so I have to figure out how to do the hat in crochet)

Q: Do you have any crochet favorites (stitches, accessories, yarn, designers, etc.)?

I love my Clover soft touch hooks, they've spoiled me for any other hook. I got a yarn ball winder for Christmas, I can't believe how fast it winds balls! It's like I was living in the dark ages before. As far as yarn goes I've been given loads of old acrylic by relatives so I usually just use it for my amigurumi, for hats and stuff I prefer Simply Soft, cheap, easy to care for, and gorgeous colors (I am so not a yarn snob). While I don't have any favorite designers specifically I love looking at all the crochet projects here on Craftster, some are just so creative and well done I find myself wondering how they managed to do that with yarn!

Q: Do you do any other crafts besides crocheting?

I love to make stuff, no matter what it is, chances are I'm up to trying it out. I love to cook, sew, fix stuff, I enjoy painting and drawing though I'm not very good at it. I recently tried freezer paper stenciling a shirt for Justin, so I'll probably do more of that in the future. One thing I've always wanted to do but never have is soap making, one of these days  Wink

Q: Is there anything you'd like to try crocheting in the future that you haven't done before?

Clothes, real clothes, I've made a few shrugs before, lots of hats, but I'd really love to make a nice sweater or skirt. Something delicate with a tiny gauge, and then actually stick with it to completion. I'd also love to make an afghan, I'm pretty sure that's like a crocheter's right of passage, and I've never even made a baby one  Shocked

Q: Do you have any advice for new crocheters, or hookers who want to start designing their own projects? You make really wonderful patterns - any advice on pattern-writing?

There's two ways I go about making patterns, the first is what I use for amigurumi. I usually do a little doodle of what I want, then make the basic shapes. It's really pretty simple once you get the hang of how to make certain shapes, how to increase for a circle, cone, etc. The next is what I use for hats, I find a stitch I really like, then try to work out how to work increases into it so the pattern is seamless throughout the hat (I really can't stand hats where the crown is just straight double crochet until it's increased enough and then the pattern starts) This involves lots and lots of drawing and both involve lots and lots of pulling things out, maybe other people can design patterns without frogging tons, but not me  Smiley

Q:What is your favorite crochet project that someone else has posted on Craftster?

Oh man, there are so many amazingly talented crocheters on Craftster, I'm absolutely in awe of the amazing tunisian stitch afghans I see on here, such as the ones by pesky pixie and the recent one by Gege (which appeals to my gamer's heart since it's Mario) I can't imagine the time and patience that goes into making one of them!

Q:What are some sources of inspiration for you as a crocheter (television shows, designers, nature, etc.)?

Knitting, cause I can't knit as fast as I can crochet so I just try to convert everything to crochet, heh. A lot of my inspiration comes from people asking for something, whether it's an e-mail about a certain type of amigurumi that strikes my fancy to make or my sister showing me a picture of a designer hat she wants, I'm not the best self motivator, so if I feel like I'm doing something for someone else I'm more likely to finish it.

Q: Where do you usually crochet (coffee shops, the couch, craft room)?

My couch, usually, sometimes I'll sit at my computer and either look at stuff online or type up my pattern while I'm working , but usually I'm sitting on my couch trying to keep my cat from pulling my yarn halfway across the house (which she does whenever I leave a project sitting out  Tongue ).

Thanks for the interview, Rheatheylia! We look forward to seeing more of your fantastic creations and patterns (and maybe I can convince you to host some on Craftster someday!  Wink ). I'm especially interested to see what you can come with for an afghan!

If you've got a question that wasn't answered here, or would like to pay our featured hooker a special compliment, feel free to do so in the compliments! If you have any suggestions for future Featured Members, feel free to PM me! Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009 03:10:45 PM by antarcticraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009 05:17:00 PM »

I love Rheatheylia's patterns! I've made three of her Divine hats so far! Thanks girl!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
curiousfae

meccaleccahi- meccahineyho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009 07:07:22 PM »

great interview!! i am in awe of your crocheting fabulous-ness!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngelSan
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009 06:23:44 AM »

Love the interview. I can so relate on some points:
- my mom used to crochet when I was a kid, and despite my many tries, I never managed to do it. Then I learned to make amigurumies !
- I find crochet so much more versatile and easy than knitting. You can do things in many shapes in crochet, while you are more restricted with knitting.

I just discovered your lovely hat patterns, now I want to make "Divine" so much ! I would have to wait a few months before wearing it though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009 05:30:22 PM »

Great interview. I've made some of your patterns, and it's nice to have a face to go with the name! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigwdy27
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009 09:04:15 AM »

Thanx for the great interview. It was good to finally put a face to that cool name. I love your work. Your patterns rock!! Everytime I make the Divine hat someone begs for it. Again,thanks and keep inspiring!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"mama can u help me find my green army man? last place i saw him was on the light bulb"  what!!!
sue3105
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009 08:52:16 PM »

great interview! i made 2 jackson bear from her pattern and treasure them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Shimmery Trend for Daytime
Celebrity Street Style Recap Jessica Alba, Gwen Stefani and Selma Blair
Ugly Christmas Sweaters Are a Hot Commodity
How to Care for Leather and Suede
Chris Brown Adds A Shirt With Him And Rihanna To Clothing Line
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...