A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need a pattern for a pretty poncho  (Read 1866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2004 01:04:58 PM »

Hi...I've been looking for a nice knitting pattern for a poncho, but haven't really found one that strikes my fancy.  I want it to be more chic than shabby.  So far I have found a lot of patterns for ones with fringe and pom poms but that's not really for me.  

I want it to be sort of lacy looking with a wide neck opening so a little of my shoulders will show...if that makes sense.  I'm still too new to knitting to think up a pattern of my own...can anyone help?

Thanks

XOXO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
grrl13
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004 06:23:31 AM »

knitty has a nifty one. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTponcho.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bibe
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004 08:35:05 AM »

I had recently posted some links of poncho patterns to a friend, so I will just post the same here. They might not be what you were looking for, but here they are anyway:

http://www.lindascraftique.com/free/poncho.htm
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/proj_kn_1099.html

I had some more but they were for infants....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004 10:11:46 AM »

I don't knit, but I've been browsing about on the yarn brand websites, and almost all of them have free patterns.  There is one at the Lion Brand website that is a "fur trimmed" hooded poncho that is just awesome.  I'm not into ponchos, but this one, I'd wear!  You have to go to their website, which is www.lionbrand.com, click on "knitting" under "Free Patterns" on the menu to the left.  Scroll down the list, the pattern is under "Knitting Patterns for Adults," and is under "Fun Fur/Lion Boucle."  When you click on the link, it takes you to a page that shows pictures of the patterns available, and you have to enter your email address to see them.  (You don't have to sign up for any mailing list though, just unclick that box.)  Anyway, you don't have to do that at all if you don't like the picture of the poncho, but I think it is very cool.  Not lacy, but definitely more posh than some others I've seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knitcole
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004 12:51:31 PM »

I don't know if this will help you any, but you can actually make what you are looking by combining a pre-existing pattern or two with your ideas. You can start off by casting on the appropriate number of stitches for your size from Knitty's Very Cherry sweater pattern (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTcherries.html) to get the dropped shoulder look. As far as the body shaping goes, you can get basic ideas by reading patterns of simplified ponchos. Then, all you need to do is pick out a lacy stitch and make sure you have the correct multiple of stitches on your needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise."
P.Z. Pearce, M.D.
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004 06:54:46 PM »

Thanks!  I think that the knitty pattern that grll13 suggested is the cleses to the shape I'm looking for.  I think that pattern mixed with some of knitcole's ideas will produce my pretty poncho!  I'm going to make mine shorter though.  Thanks again ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
impossiblecalm
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004 06:01:23 AM »

just last night i finished making the villa poncho from the knitty pattern that was linked above. i can take pictures or offer any advice if you need it, although it is a pretty straightforward project. i used the same yarn as the model, but if you are going to change yarns there are a lot of things to take into consideration first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004 11:59:20 AM »

I'd love to see pictures!  

I want to make mine in one solid color...but I think to make things easy I'll use the same brand and type of yarn.

I'm also thinking of using bigger needles so I get a more airy look.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

impossiblecalm
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004 10:04:02 AM »

the picture is pretty big, so i'll just link it:

http://www.catharticspark.net/knitting/poncho.jpg

i used the size 15 needles it called for and it's pretty airy. i can take some closeups if you want. it's the same as the pattern (ggh esprit)
if you want to use that same yarn and can't find it around you, i got mine from http://www.jimmybeanswool.com. ordered on a tuesday and got it on a thursday i believe!
i'm kind of displeased with how it hangs down lower on one side than on the other but that might be an issue with how much of the seam i sewed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairdressing Essentials Hair Clips
Haidressing Essentials Brushes
How to Get Soft Curls
How to Finger Wave
How to Get Wavy Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...