A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,590
Currently Running With Scissors:
822 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Return of the Button Sweater! (pic heavy)  (Read 4296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2009 12:01:23 PM »

When I was in elementary school, my absolute favorite item of clothing was my Button Sweater. What the button sweater was was a white sweatshirt, onto the chest of which my mother had sewn all sorts of purple plastic novelty buttons. I loved it to death, and I remember wearing it, staring down at it, and picking which buttons were my favorite. The button that always won was a big stopwatch with a purple rim.

I don't remember when or why the button sweater went away, but I always remembered it, and I had been thinking more and more about making an updated, adult version of the button sweater. And then this challenge was posted. A message from the crafty powers that be, I felt.  Grin

And now, to stop teasing you, I present:

The Return of the Button Sweater!

(Yes, I know, it's not really technically a sweater, it's kind of a poncho/capelet thing, but the original wasn't a sweater either. I just like the way it sounds better.)

The process of creating the sweater-that's-not-a-sweater was interesting. It's led me to develop a new philosophy: There is no such thing as mistakes - only Unexpected Design Elements.
I started out by using this poncho pattern: http://www.modadea.com/patterns/LM0117.htm And changing the size. And deciding that the ribbing should be at the top and not the bottom (forgetting that stockinette likes to roll...UDE#1). And deciding that I want it to be 9 inches instead of 18. I... don't play well with patterns. Roll Eyes

I also discovered, as this was my first time knitting in the round, that if your cast-on row is twisted, when you join it, your piece will be - surprise! Twisted! UDE#2. By the time I realized it was never going to be able to untwist, I had knit 3 inches. Another thing I'm not good at? Frogging and starting over. "Fine," I thought, "I'll work with it."

And off I went to find my buttons. Another gift from the crafty powers that be there. The thrift store and the fabric store are next door to each other, so I decided, might as well stop in there first and see if they've got buttons. They never have before, but who knows? Sure enough, they had FOUR BAGS. Four sandwich bags full of buttons, $1.99 each, two of which had some nice looking purple buttons. No novelty buttons, though, so I knew I still needed to go to the fabric store. I walked in, and at the counter I noticed a little basket: clearance buttons. Never seen a basket of clearance buttons there before! Most of them were - you guessed it - novelty buttons, which had either been discontinued, or had lost one or more of their mates. Perfect! So I scooped up a bunch of those, and a handful of full-price buttons that were just too good to pass up, and paid probably about $10 for the whole lot! (SCORE!)

And then:

Knitting complete!

And before I started adding the buttons, I decided to do some cleaning in my room. Now, this is the same room I've had since age 3. And it shows - I'm a packrat. I keep a lot of stuff for no discernible reason. But I didn't remember until I found it that I had kept...

The stopwatch.
This, of course, was the final proof. The crafty powers that be wanted this sweater to happen. And the stopwatch was destined to once again have it's place of honor next to my heart.

I worked out how to deal with the UDEs. The twist was place in the center of my back, and given a few stitches to hold it there, and a button to make it fit in with the front.

I learned via YouTube how to pick up stitches, picked up all the stitches along the front at the cast-on row, and added an inch of ribbing - then added some purple blanket-stitched ribbon to keep it from looking bare. I'm really proud of how it came out - and it's comfy!

Here are some up-close button shots:

The right-most group of buttons. A star, one that's spotted with what looks a bit like silver leaf, a purple plaid lady bug (!), a crystal-like one, an oil-spill-rainbow heart, and two "plain" buttons.

The middle group. A trio of purple hippos, who would have been my favorites, had I not found the stopwatch. (I've got a thing for purple hippos.) Two purple stars covered with gold stars, two clear buttons with light purple flowers and green leaves, a pinkish-purple tiny shiny one, another purple plaid ladybug, an oil-spill-rainbow fish, a purple-and-silver sun, a big pale purple button, and other crystal-like one.

And finally, the left-hand buttons. The famed stopwatch, another spotty one, another sun, and another oil-spill heart,and three "plain" buttons. The one on the bottom is really cool up-close. It looks like purple storm clouds inside the button.

Thanks so much for looking! I'd love to hear your feedback!

(If these pictures are too big, lemme know and I'll resize 'em!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Hellsbelle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009 12:17:53 PM »

Absolutely magical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009 12:47:55 PM »

Great story, and clearly mean to be made! Excellent remake. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crendon
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009 01:19:19 PM »

Love this! Someone was talking to you, so congrats on the make...it's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VLo
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009 02:53:03 PM »

I love this project. I always had a thing for my mom's novelty buttons. In fact, we HAVE several of those purple stopwatch buttons (what are the odds?!). They were my favorite too. We've got about 3 left from lord knows when.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strawberrycherry
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009 03:14:53 PM »

very pretty! i love the purple hippo buttons!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danirene
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009 08:20:58 PM »

Completely meant to be... congrats!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009 04:06:02 PM »

This is my favorite, ever! Especially since you found the Stopwatch Button. it makes it that much more perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doubleplusgood

put your hand inside the puppet head

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009 07:53:55 PM »

i love the way you worked the twist into it.  well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect?  There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.
ryana
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009 05:14:46 PM »

Super cute! When I read the beginning I didn't think a grown-up version of a button sweater was possible, but you did it and it looks very cool and funky, yet classy.  And I love the story of the stopwatch button! Clearly this was crafting fate.  Great work! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a California Sushi Roll
How to Make Tikka Masala Cream
How to Make Pooris Doe
Chicken in Tikka Masala Sauce Recipe
How to Make Pooris Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...