A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stretch Bracelets  (Read 590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowhite
« on: April 03, 2009 05:48:08 AM »

I make jewelry but have never gotten into stretch bracelets.  I was wondering if there is a particular brand of elastic/ stretch cord that is best?  There are so many to choose from.

Also.. how do you elimate the huge knot?  I have tried making a bracelet with some elastic from my sewing bin and I had to tie the knot multiple times.. in attempt to make it last.  Now that I am typing this... I wonder if I can slip a bead over it.. or even a crimping bead?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patti
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 09:42:25 AM »

I haven't used it myself but I have a friend who prefers "Stretch Magic" elastic for her bracelets.  I quickly googled and found a site from another jewelry maker who also prefers "Stretch Magic."  She offers some great finishing tips to hide your knots, too.

http://bypatrice.com/instructions/stretch.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009 08:44:10 PM »

This may be just me but every time I've used stretch magic, the beads end up flying everywhere because the knot comes apart on me while I'm trying to finish it, even when I tie it exactly as recommended. Just be very careful when tying it if you decide to go with it and finish it well (maybe with a tiny dot of super glue on the knot... that's helped).
I usually use sewing elastic and also place a bit of glue (or nail polish) on the knot. I think the fiber on the surface of sewing elastic makes it easier to tie but that's just my preference. Usually I tuck the knot into a bead. depending on the type of bead (wood or clay for instance) you can enlarge the hole on the one that goes over the knot so it fits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 05:51:01 AM »

Thank you.  As soon as I read your post, I thought of finding a nice wide drilled bead that I can use as my cap for all the bracelets... I can make it my signature bead Smiley  Thanks for the super glue idea!

I am writing down Stretch Magic for future reference.  I am currently building a FMG order, and they do not seem to carry that, but will like to keep improving he quality of my materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009 04:33:50 PM »

I went to A.C.Moore earlier (need beads until my order comes in  Wink and found the Stretch Magic for $2.99.  I have already made 5 bracelets.  No problem with the nots... I really pulled on them too.  Thanks so much for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009 05:03:13 PM »

Glad you're having luck with stretch magic! it must just not like me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009 08:26:12 AM »

You might also find some good info on this page at my site (there are sections there on making bracelets including stretch ones, and various kinds of "elastic" cording):
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/jewelry.htm
...under Cords click on Plastic/Stretchy (solid and tube),
and click on on Bracelets since many of the ones there are made with elastic cording

HTH,

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Snowhite
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009 05:41:53 AM »

Hmm.. for some reason the plastic/stretchy link is dead when I bring up the Glass Attic page.  I am going to bookmark it and try again later.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009 10:59:32 AM »

Hmm.. for some reason the plastic/stretchy link is dead when I bring up the Glass Attic page.  I am going to bookmark it and try again later.

Every so often I find a category link ("anchor") on one of my pages that didn't get programmed right, so that must be one of them. 

When you find those at my site though, you can just click on the link  in the list that's just below the one you want, then scroll up a little way to the right category (...or click on the above link and do the reverse... or just scroll down the whole page till you find it, which on some pages could be a loooong scroll  Roll Eyes ). 
 If I don't ever know about a link problem to fix it though the link will never work, so waiting won't help (my site gets a huge amount of traffic but traffic is almost never why something doesn't work there since we have plenty of bandwidth to cover even heavy days).

I'll go check out that category now and fix it. Grin

*Note though that there are many hyperlinks to other sites that no longer work at my site because of things beyond my control, and sometimes the bandwidth at the linked site will be too small for that day's traffic at that site, but all the navigational links inside my site should always work unless I've just missed one like this.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009 11:13:37 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Snowhite
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009 04:53:06 AM »

Thank you so much Diane.  I actually looked at most of the neat stuff on your link, but did not even realize it was all one page!  I kept using the back page to get to the original page (hehe.. the top)!  Lol, maybe it is way too early!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
How to Prepare a Thai Breakfast
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
How to Prepare Unagi Nigiri
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...