A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat-Scratch Fever to Cool Bespangled Couch (pic-o-riffic)  (Read 21405 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , challenge_winner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

witwhitherwilt
« on: April 03, 2009 05:07:04 AM »

Meet our  kitty, Oreo:

She mostly enjoys life with her human servants, despite the fact that we are terribly cruel and hardly ever give her more than a bite or two of our sushi and sometimes deign to move when she is trying to sleep on us. But she especially likes the large green-velvet scratching-post in the living room. We like it, too--but we call it "the couch."  Attempts to train her not to scratch it have worked about as well as training a cat not to do something has ever worked for anyone in the history of feline-human relations.

Before:

So when this challenge was announced, I decided to use the buttons both to cover up the scratches and to make the arm of the couch less "scratchable" in the future. I poured myself a glass of wine, put the figure skating championships on tv, and just started sewing the buttons directly onto the couch. (Hint for anyone else crazy enough to try this: a curved upholstery needle makes a huge difference. I got one after the first frustrating, finger-sticking day and it made things so much easier.)

At first I just meant to cover the torn-up corner:

But then I started to get a bit carried away...

I soon used up most of my buttons. A friend was kind enough to donate a bagful from her stash, and I literally jumped for joy when, after a fruitless day scouring thrift stores, I found several packages of them in the aisle at the Dollar store. I filled in the gaps between the buttons with random loose beads and shells I had lying around. I also incorporated some jewelry that I liked but never really wore, like this large Star-of-David pendant I inherited from my grandmother.

And here's the entire couch from the front:

From the side, it looks a little like a frame without a picture. I thought about filling it in with something, but didn't have time before the challenge deadline. So for now it just frames poor dejected Oreo, who has lost her scratching post and must now contemplate the deep ennui of life:

ETA: Thanks everyone for your concern about Oreo's wellbeing! Rest assured, she has a cardboard scratcher now that she likes a lot, though she sometimes stands on it and meows at me until I sprinkle on more catnip!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009 04:53:15 PM by witwhitherwilt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009 05:23:14 AM »

Rocks! Totally rocks!  My cats scratch the hell out of my wooden furniture, and I have no idea how to doctor that up to make it as beautiful as this...  I would do that to my couch even without the scratch marks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
shyster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009 05:44:06 AM »

Absolutely, positively, fantastic!!! Your tale of feline-human relations was entertaining enough sans pictures, but the expressive face of poor Oreo and the gorgeous end result of your button-wrangling is just priceless.
Thank you so much for sharing...and inspiring!

(There is a massive box of buttons sitting in my studio that may be destined for a similar fate, now.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009 05:54:18 AM »

you totally rock!  the poor dejected  Oreo.... shame on you servants for neglecting him. LOL
I like that its a frame once completed. great idea.  are  you going to do the other side to match??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
GrammaBiskit
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009 06:00:22 AM »

Great concept!  Too bad my husband would never let me get away with that!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gramma Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009 06:04:54 AM »

Great idea!   I am impressed.  Love the way it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bad Kitty
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009 06:06:31 AM »

this rocks.....so much awesome is in this idea love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009 06:09:42 AM »

this is awesome..I bow down to your patience and the end result looks fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009 06:16:11 AM »

this is gorgeous!  I wanted to do something big like this, but time didn't permit.  I'm amazed that you sewed them on, and glad you thought of a curved needle.  Great job!  I'm hitting this Rocks for you.

Also, how did you get OREO to sit for the picture?  I don't do cats, but it seems like he was obeying orders, which I get just isn't so with cats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
drycleanonly
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009 06:21:17 AM »

Love it!
Great idea and it look amazing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Hand Puppet With Socks
How to Make Shadow Puppets With Your Hand
How to Create a Giraffe Sock Puppet
How to Create a Puppet Theater
How to Create a Monkey Puppet
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...