A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,333
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [RESOLVED 04/20/10] Can't type long replies with Internet Explorer 8  (Read 9943 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2009 08:03:59 PM »

[Edited to add:  This should be resolved as of 04/20/10.  Please read more here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=345053.0 -- sweets4ever]

Hi everyone!

Since yesterday, I have had problems on craftster while trying to post.
When typing (on longer posts), it jumps to the middle of the post text, and I am unable to view the bottom and see what I am typing.  It "bounces" from the bottom to middle making it so difficult to post new topics, replies, and modifications.

Further, I have noticed that when glow is used, it doesn't appear glowing but rather like highlighting (a solid block of color around the text).

FYI: I am using internet explorer8 (8.0.6001.18702IC).  My flash is up to date.  No viruses or spyware.  Cache cleared.  Let me know what else might be useful.  

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Undecided

HELP!!! Cry
Thank you for any help.

Solution insert:
Hey guys,

I just looked into this and it looks like there's a "fix" you can do for now to make Craftster be compatible with IE8. Basically there's a button you can press in IE8 that makes it act like it's still IE7 when you want it to. It's called "Compatibility Mode" and you can read about how to use it here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/21/more-about-2400-websites-and-ie-8-compatibility-list

Looks pretty easy. I guess you just tell the browser which websites you want to see in IE7 mode.

Sorry about this!! Sad We'll definitely try to get to the bottom of this but at least this should be a workaround in the mean time! Smiley

Leah
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010 05:44:05 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009 08:29:19 PM »

Hi there!  Did you just upgrade to IE 8 yesterday?  The last time I tried to install it (maybe a month ago?) it was still in the beta stage and quite a few sites (Craftster included) were not compatible with it at the time.  Trying to rule that out as a possibility.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009 08:36:04 PM »

No...I installed it on Monday.  I've been on craftster everyday, but my problems just started yesterday (I was hoping it would disappear with the April Fool's macrame fun).  And sadly this is the only site that is causing me probs.  My yahoo suggested the upgrade and no mention of it being beta.....But I would definitely downgrade if it is causing my probs; it is just not worth messing with craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009 08:22:11 PM »

I actually just upgraded to see if I could reproduce the same issues you're having.  No luck yet, but I've only been browsing for a few moments.  Don't give up just yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009 08:41:31 PM »

Luckily, no other problems have arisen for me.  It really is the long posts (ones where the scroll bar appears)...it happens in typing them or modifying....the text box jumps to the middle not allowing me to see what I'm typing....thank goodness I know the code pretty well Wink....and the only other thing is that the glow turns out more a highlight...as mentioned above.

Tongue too bad I can't just send you my laptop or have you link to mine...for I have no clue what is causing it......I haven't downloaded anything else in months...and I have re-cleared, defraged, scanned, etc.....to no avail

Thank you so much for helping me!!! Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009 08:51:09 PM »

Do you use Quick Reply or the standard reply box?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009 06:51:02 AM »

Okay I'm a dork Undecided....Where/what is quick reply?
I use the reply button/tab/whatever that is technically.
I did discover when I modified using the paper&pencil icon on my post the jumpy thing didn't occur.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009 06:56:55 AM »

No problem at all!

If you were using Quick Reply, you would see it at the very bottom of the screen.  If you want to check it out, My Craftster > My Profile > Look and Layout Preferences -- Use quick reply on topic display: "show, on by default"

Once you enable it, it will turn on a Quick Reply box at the bottom of each thread page.  It's pretty neat and VERY fast, if you reply a lot like I do.  You can just type your reply there and click post (press Alt+S) and your post is done.

PS -- still testing for you!  So sorry for the long process on this.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 06:57:26 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009 07:01:51 AM »

ooooooo...I am off to test that right now. Cool

And don't fret about the "long process". 
As long as I can get on craftster, I am all sorts of good. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 04:07:07 AM »

I'm having the same problem as pinkleo:  typing longer posts is impossible because the screen is all squirley and seems to be stuck on the last line of the text box (the one before the scroll bar shows up).  Trying to respond to swap questionnaires is very aggravating.  I can scroll down and see the "overflow" text, but I can't see what I'm typing as I'm typing it. 

I'm using IE 8.0.6001.18783, and I think I understand that Craftster is not compatible with IE 8.0.  Is that still the case? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009 05:40:48 PM »

Oh I want to note I still have the same issues with long posts and PMs Undecided Tongue....at least using quick reply and modify symbol (sorry don't know official term for that icon) seems to help me not go insane. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009 07:32:24 PM »

Sorry about the issues with IE 8.  I'll bump this to Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009 06:27:18 AM »

Hey guys,

I just looked into this and it looks like there's a "fix" you can do for now to make Craftster be compatible with IE8. Basically there's a button you can press in IE8 that makes it act like it's still IE7 when you want it to. It's called "Compatibility Mode" and you can read about how to use it here:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/21/more-about-2400-websites-and-ie-8-compatibility-list

Looks pretty easy. I guess you just tell the browser which websites you want to see in IE7 mode.

Sorry about this!! Sad We'll definitely try to get to the bottom of this but at least this should be a workaround in the mean time! Smiley

Leah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009 02:28:52 PM »

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post, I thought my computer was just wacky.  My fix - well workaround - is just to use Firefox when I want to create a new post. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plucky1_08

Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009 04:49:34 PM »

I thought I was the only one having problems.  I've been trying to keep my posts to only a sentence or two because it is nearly impossible to deal with.  I'm going to go read the link and see if it will help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009 05:06:21 PM »

It works great for me if I use Compatibility Mode.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010 04:39:02 AM »

I have been having trouble for some time with posts and replies that are over a certain length (about two text window lengths). It's hard to describe, but as I type, the window flashes back and forth between the line I'm typing and the top of the topic/reply. And I can't scroll down to the end to type or edit. Is this a built-in feature to make us keep our posts short, or is it an actual glitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010 07:00:47 AM »

This was addressed in another thread awhile back.  I was having this issue, also.  I went into my profile and opened up the quick reply option to try to work around it.

I think it has something to do with IE8.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010 07:34:33 AM »

So sorry about that!  Craftster is not compatible with IE 8 yet, but they do provide a work around for sites such as ours.  It's called Compatibility Mode.

To learn how to enable it, read here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299447.msg3592014#msg3592014

I'll also merge this thread with that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010 08:35:50 AM »

Okay so if I type anything longer then the body message window, usually it will just continue on, the little bar on the side gets smaller and there is no harm and you can scroll down to edit your work or what have you but for the last two days when I try to edit a LONG post... say the first post in a swap.. it will try to jump to the top of the body of the post as soon as you start to type at the bottom of the post and it will not let me see what I an editing, typeing etc. it does however let you scroll back down so you can see what's there.

Hmm i'm trying to figure out how to explain this, does that make sence at all... It's really annoying that I cannot write long posts or edit long posts because of it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010 09:24:19 AM »

There was another post about this awhile back.  If you're using IE8 it's a problem.  There's a button at the top of your screen, to the left of your refresh button.  It's a compatibility button.  If you click on it, it's supposed to stop the screen from messing with you.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a shot, especially for long posts.

The only other option that you have it to type your entire post into notepad or wordpad, and then copy and paste it into Craftster.  As far as I know, this is the only place on the planet where it's a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 62 done
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010 09:52:55 AM »

Hiya, irish_chicky!  Definitely click the Compatibility Button that pinokeeo just mentioned.  It should solve the issue for you. Smiley

I'm going to merge this thread with the other full thread about it.  Basically, some websites are not compatible with IE8.  IE is aware of this and included a built-in fix for affected websites (such as ours).

We're definitely not the only website with this issue, though.  I'm sure this list has been greatly reduced since 2009, but originally there were 2400+ major websites with IE8 rendering issues.  If you're into the techy side of things, here is an article that is fairly interesting to us geeks Cheesy http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/02/21/more-about-2400-websites-and-ie-8-compatibility-list  I think many people first notice it here because it's common for us to type ridiculously long posts due to tutorials, swaps, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010 03:55:47 PM »

oh perfect! Thank you guys!! That did he trick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010 02:03:23 PM »

Hi, guys!  Just wanted to update you that a possible fix for this (on our end) is currently in production.

Thanks for your continued support around such issues as this. Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010 05:42:52 PM »

This IE 8 issue should be resolved with today's release! Smiley http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=345053.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010 05:44:08 PM »

This IE 8 issue should be resolved with today's release! Smiley http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=345053.0
YAY! Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010 02:39:15 AM »

Luckily, no other problems have arisen for me.  It really is the long posts (ones where the scroll bar appears)...it happens in typing them or modifying....the text box jumps to the middle not allowing me to see what I'm typing....thank goodness I know the code pretty well Wink....and the only other thing is that the glow turns out more a highlight...as mentioned above.

Tongue too bad I can't just send you my laptop or have you link to mine...for I have no clue what is causing it......I haven't downloaded anything else in months...and I have re-cleared, defraged, scanned, etc.....to no avail

Thank you so much for helping me!!! Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

I had that problem too. It drove me insane. I first noticed it at school last term when I got on here during free time. My school doesn't have IE8 though-they have Windows XP and IE7.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 2/2
How to Keep Your Images Simple
How to Use a Lensbaby
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...