A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Female Star Trek Uniform  (Read 15441 times)
Tags for this thread: star_trek  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

~Better than Alexander the Great~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009 05:06:14 PM »

Hey,
So I'm putting on the Trouble with Tribbles as a one-act at my school. I really don't want it to be too campy and I've heard the pattern you can buy from roddenberry.com is ungodly difficult. Not to mention that it you try to just buy the costume straight out from a costume vendor, they cost around $60. My freshmen won't want to pay $60 for their costumes. Any chance of a detailed tutorial for a beginning seamstress like me?

And, I've got yo ask, where did you get the tribble? Smiley

Awesome job, I'm impressed!

-Carolyn

I would be glad to do a tutorial! I will get some fabric and make one asap!  Cheesy As far as sewing goes, I am relatively new to it all as well, having only been sewing for a year and a half. I still can't follow a pattern to save my life, but I can do pretty well winging things. Smiley

As for the fabric, honestly, I am not to sure what it is. I know it is a knit, of some sort. It is extremely thin material. I got it in the red tag section of Joanne Fabrics, though dammit, i didn't think to check what fabric it was. I just knew that the color was absolutely perfect!

As for the Tribble, I simply sewed it out of fake fur! It took only about five minutes to make, seriously. Just sew a circle of fake fur, leaving a small gap, turn it rightside out, and then stuff and sew the gap closed. Voila! Tribble! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hats Don't Kill People. People IN Hats Kill People!
http://alexandra-the-great.webs.com/
http://www.wists.com/Alexandra-the-Great
AnOrangeMouse
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009 11:54:19 AM »

Awesome job! I'm currently in the process of making my own original series dress for the Star Trek convention in New Jersey. YAY!

I'm trying to decide between red (a color that probably looks a bit better on me) and blue (mostly just because I <3 Spock).

I'm using a retro Butterick pattern (one of the ones they reissued) and making a muslin mock up first because I think if I took the badge and the sleeves off when I'm done, I'd totally wear this dress around, so I want it to look good. (I'm making it in cotton, not velour or anything. Technically inaccurate, but velour is hot and it's July!)

What do you think: better color, expendable character? Or worse color, better character? Haha, so difficult! If I were blonde I could just be Yeoman Rand. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009 02:02:30 PM »

Hmm, well, not all Red is expendable! Uhura wears a red uniform (except in one episode, where she oddly wears yellow, but that was one of the first episodes made...), and she is certainly not an expendable character! In fact, she can kick some ass.

Of course, were I actually in Star Fleet (if ever it happens and I am still alive, I am enlisting! And I told the Army recruiters such!), I would likely be in the science department, doing Psychology or something like that. And in that case, I would be wearing blue. However, I look best in yellow...

I do know what you mean about Mr. Spock ( Kiss Kiss), I have always been a die-hard fan of his, and always will be.

I say go with whatever you wish! Blue seems to be a fun color, since it has all the interesting jobs (Medical and Science), but if red looks best on you...

I wish I could go to the Star Trek convention.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnOrangeMouse
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009 03:07:29 PM »

You are right. Uhura is definitely not expendable. Maybe red IS the way to go! I'd get to make one of those ear things, too.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm finished with the thing. I can't wait until the convention: Nimoy will be there! Haha awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carolyn91
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009 08:43:40 PM »

Hooray! You all have reminded me (along with others) why I love Star Trek fans. All of them. Even non-hardcore people.

I just went to a brand new thing here in Portland called Trek in the Park where they performed Amok Time live (from TOS, the one where Spock is supposed to get married). K, so the guys doing it remembered me from the first week they performed, were SUPER excited and offered to help in any way possible/attend opening night.

You, the lovely Alexandra, were excited about helping me out with a tutorial (you'd be amazed at how many people are irritated by tutorial requests)

And everyone here is super supportive/excited. About EVERYTHING.

This makes me smile Smiley)))))))

BIG

-Carolyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginner knitter, decent embroiderer, kickass cross-stitcher. Need help with making of prom dress right now (I have NO idea what I'm doing)
Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009 12:13:24 AM »

Yeah, we Star Trek geeks are HUGE enthusiasts. Anything that involves our beloved Trek, we are SO down for. Tongue

I am extremely excited. I just got the Electronic Phaser and Communicator set for my birthday, which were the only parts of my costume that I was really missing. So I am going to do another photoshoot soon and include them!  Grin

And I am still going to do that tutorial! Life has gotten in the way recently. >__>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sychosydney
Humans Are Funny.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009 08:14:09 PM »

AHHHHH!!!! AMAZING!!! Hehe, I am also a Trekkie, so...!!!! I'm more of a Spock girl, though! Actually, I just finished watching the Doomsday Machine before I logged on, so...Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexandra-the-Great
~Chronic-Costumer~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009 01:32:10 AM »

AHHHHH!!!! AMAZING!!! Hehe, I am also a Trekkie, so...!!!! I'm more of a Spock girl, though! Actually, I just finished watching the Doomsday Machine before I logged on, so...Smiley
I know what you mean. Spock is one of my most favorite characters ever created. I adore him. I was watching Star Trek last night while drawing. Operation Annihilate and Devil in the Dark are always good for a watch!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_lost_laura
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009 08:28:55 AM »

love it . must now make one lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christinesangel100
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009 05:33:57 AM »

Thats so cool! Do you have a pattern for it, and if so, can I please use it? I'd love a costume like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stevie Rae Johnson, a Typical, completely normal, freakishly one of a kind Vampyre.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Selection Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Intersecting Shapes within a Single Layer
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Advanced Vector Drawing
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with the Eraser Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with the Ink Bottle Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...