A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
338 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hair Clippies and Tutorial  (Read 2167 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2009 04:00:41 PM »

My cousin has two daughters, one is 2.5 and the other is 6 mo. old. I'm planning on making a bunch of these in different colors and ribbons to send them for Easter. i noticed that there wasn't a tutorial for these, and although they are easy i figured that some people might like to know :3

I got pretty small clippies since these are for younger girls, i got my clippies at sally beauty, they're made by "salon care" and you can buy them in packs of 12 or boxes of 80 or 100. They are in with the curling items and are called "Metal all purpose clips.

I use E6000 clear adhesive and 3/8 of an inch width ribbon, about 8 inches of ribbon with make a plain clippie of this size.

1--First take the end of your ribbon and on the wrong side of the ribbon coat it with some E6000. Then you insert that onto the topside of the bottom of the clippie. i held the end in place with a bobby pin

2--flip the clippie over, add some more E6000 and fold the ribbon over the backside of the bottom of the clippie. again i held the ribbon on there with a bobby pin. You can also just press your finger down on top of the clippie on any flat surface.

3--now you should have the bottom of the clippie done.

4--put a good dab of E6000 where that hole is and pull the ribbon around over the hole

5--now you should be able to measure and cut your ribbon off. then coat the remainder of the ribbon's wrong side with E6000 and fold it over the top and bottom of the clippie. Again i held the end of the ribbon in the clippie with a bobbypin.

6--tahdah! you now have a plain clippie.

you can embellish with rhinestones, buttons, etc or leave it as it is. You can also put bows on the top as seen in the first picture i posted.

If you make the bows you'll want to start on the opposite side that you'll be wearing up. You can wear clippies 'Top' side up, like this...

or 'Bottom" side up, like this...

either way you wear them you make the flat bows the same way, you just put them on the side you'll be wearing up. So you'll start making the clippie on the opposite side.

Lets say that you're going to wear them the first way. then you'll want to first cut off about an inch of ribbon. then follow through step 4. Do NOT cut your ribbon yet.

5--put a dab of E6000 down on about half the clippie and then You'll want to make the first arch of the bow by folding a S pattern

6--then you'll want to hold that first side down with a bobby pin and then dab E6000 on the rest of the clippie and fold a Z pattern this time for the other half of the bow.

7--you'll want to keep something between the clippie so your glue doesn't get on the other side of the clippie, i used a q-tip

8--now you'll want to put the band around the bow. take that inch of ribbon that you cut off before starting and put E6000 all over on the wrong side. center it on the bow area, E6000 side down, and press down, flip one end behind the back

9-- now flip the other side behind, at this point you can measure off and cut the ribbon off the spool

10--flip the entire clippie over and coat the rest of the loose ribbon on the wrong side with E6000

11--open up your clippie and flip the rest of the ribbon under, apply pressure as needed and you're done!

Hope this helps :3 let me see your clippies!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 06:52:36 PM by Ryoruki - Reason: changing picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
suganspyyce
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009 04:25:45 PM »

So cute!  Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 09:26:23 PM »

Hey, those are great!!
Thanks for the tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patti
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009 10:41:03 AM »

Those are very cute and your tutorial is excellent!  Thanks for posting them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snitker79
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 09:18:27 PM »

I haven't tried your type of glue yet, but I'm having trouble with my glues "staining" the ribbon like it's wet.  The first type of glue I tried was a super glue, but it says "craft" and doesn't adhere skin immediately like the other super glues do.  The second glue I tried (as recommended per another tut) was a clear craft glue, but it says not to use on fabric.  The second one doesn't adhere the ribbon to the clip very well and takes a long time to dry. My super glue holds much better and dries quicker.  They both make the ribbon itself unwearable without something over the top to hide the staining.

Any thoughts? What kind of glue are you using? Is it a craft glue or an all purpose/industrial type glue?  does it bleed through the ribbon?

Thanks for any input.
Miranda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009 08:20:35 PM »

hey there Miranda! sorry for not responding right away!

E6000 is a super strength bonding glue. You have to use it in a well ventilated area but it will pretty much bond anything to anything else. It's easy to clean up though if it gets on your hands. It's more of a gel that a liquid, and it hasn't been staining the grosgrain ribbon that i've been using. I haven't tried more satin-y type ribbons.

E6000 is my go-to glue for any project, it does have it's downside, as to the strong smell, it works with everything. it also sets up pretty fast too. let me know if this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Posie Graeme-Evans
Meet Author Anne Easter Smith
Rebel Angels Book Trailer
Unpretty Book Trailer
My Little Red Fire Truck Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...