A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's Be Real  (Read 1844 times)
Tags for this thread: one_pattern_many_stitches_needlework_challenge  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redcleo
« on: April 02, 2009 06:26:03 AM »

Here's my entry for the One Pattern, Many Stitches Challenge.

When we got married in 2007, we had a really hard time picking out dinnerware. We'd both lived on our own for a while, and had strong opinions. He had these horrendous black matte dishes (that scratched like a chalkboard!), and I had some terribly ugly (but beautiful to me) retro oatmeal and brown floral print plates from the 70s. We finally found something we could agree on at Pottery Barn (though we're not really PB people), and ended up with a set of green and white dishes.

We did not register for China. Can't even imagine how that might have gone. Plus, my mom owns two sets of China, which my sister and I will get at some point, decades from now. We're just not China people.

So, I decided that the wording needed to reflect that, and hence, the China-Free Home. It was a little difficult for me to find the right color combination to accurately represent my hair color (which is red and curly), but I'm pretty satisfied with what I ended up with. I also love her hot pants and high heels (though, had I thought hard about it beforehand, she'd be wearing jeans and Birkenstock sandals).

Unfortunately, the only chance I had to take a picture of the completed object was at about 10 pm last night, so the photo quality is not that great.

This is stitched onto a lovely organic cotton towel I bought at Target (which has a lovely small weave and is delightfully huge, though they were on clearance last I saw and may no longer be available). I'm thinking about adding some fabric backing to cover up the stitches (which are messier than I wish), and a border, but that'll have to wait until after we move.

Here's my work-in-progress shot:

I had a lot of fun with this (and am so glad for the deadline extension)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spidernails
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009 08:40:48 AM »

This is awesome. And believe it or not, but my hubby brought the matte black dishes and I brought the oatmeal w/ black swirlies too! Glad ya got a compromise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009 08:45:18 AM »

i love this. We are a china free home too. I am just so damned accident-prone that we're slowly transferring over to melamine plates and bowls. they have some really snazzy ones in Asda (Wal-Mart, uk style) at the mo.
i love this teatowel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009 10:06:43 AM »

I <3 this so much!  the background story on your stitching is great as we are a china free home too!

your lettering of 'china free home' is fantastic!  is that your own handwriting or a computer font?

you mentioned this was on a tea towel, but i think you should frame it in a hoop and hang it in your new kitchen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009 02:28:19 PM »

Hoorah for china free homes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
chicmawma
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009 08:35:00 PM »

Good for you!!  China-free here, too!  Thought it would also be a waste of $$.  Looking forward to inheriting his or my mom's set someday and we'll look forward then! Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ideas abound as well as intentions; not enough hours for completion - me
Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009 05:26:02 PM »

I love the story behind this! Its great because my sister was recently given a set of dishes that she will never use from my mom, beceuse we were never allowed to eat off them as kids!

Your stitching is fantastic as well, the hair looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Modify a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use an Alpha Channel as a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create Alpha Channel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use CMYK Color Channels in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Lab Color Mode in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...