A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is mill end yarn?  (Read 979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« on: April 01, 2009 03:08:02 PM »

I see deals on Ebay where mill end yarns for brand name yarns (e.g., mill ends for Simply Soft) are offered at great prices.

I'm working on a large afghan project, and am also cheap by nature, so buying this instead of at retail prices appeals to me.

What are mill ends?  Are they comparably different than yarn that isn't a mill end?  How do they stack up against each other in quality, color (aside from normal dye lot issues), texture, durability?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 04:49:05 PM »

Mill end yarn is the yarn toward the end of the roll.  There can be variations found from what's sold in the stores vs mill end, like thinning or thickening of the yarn, burn marks, changes of color etc.......But heck I think we've all seen these things in what they consider store worthy too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009 05:26:20 PM »

I made an entire afghan from mill ends for my nephew and his new wife and had no problems at all.  I had been cautioned against mill end yarn because it can be varying lengths and other problems but I purchased 15 balls, all the same, and had no problems with the 11 I actually used.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 05:27:09 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009 06:38:37 PM »

Thanks!  So it sounds like mill ends are pretty viable.  If there's a thickness problem or burnt portion, I'll just cut that portion off.  The project I'm working on consists of a bunch of squares, so if there's a color difference, I could arrange the squares where variations are less noticeable.

There can be variations found from what's sold in the stores vs mill end, like thinning or thickening of the yarn, burn marks, changes of color etc.......But heck I think we've all seen these things in what they consider store worthy too. 

Ain't that the truth.  I am working on a different project using Lion Brand Homespun and multiple times I have seen odd thickening, thinning, or noticeable dye lot changes in the middle of the actual skein. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommycrochets
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009 06:55:31 PM »

I have a ton of mill ends that I bought awhile ago and have found no problems with them. I have made several blankets with it and have enough to make quit a few more. I got this yarn really cheap and would have never gotten the same amount of yarn for the price I paid.
The only problem I have had is not being able to remember the colors names.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mille-Feuille
Cornbread Ice Cream With Bacon Whipped Cream in NYC
How to Make a Chocolate Yule Log Tree Stump
Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches at Camicakes Creamery
A Cup of Coffee in a Donut at Sublime Doughnuts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...