A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to try to make a purse....need advice!  (Read 460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2009 02:09:50 PM »

I'm a pretty newbie to crochet, but I am kinda tired of scarves.  I thought about what I'd like to make, and I'd love to try and make a purse.  I like the shape/size of the Louis Vuitton Speedys. 

http://ethicalstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/louis-vuitton-speedy.jpg

As I'm sure many of you know, they use one piece of material for the front, bottom and back, which I thought would make it easier to crochet.  Make one front/bottom/back piece and two side pieces, and stitch them together.  But then I need to know the following:

1. How do I keep the thing from being all floppy?  I'm thinking maybe crochet two layers of this front/bottom/back piece and put some cardboard or interfacing in the middle?

2.  How do I attach the handles in such a way that I can fill up and carry the purse without stretching out all the stitches?

3.  How in the heck do you attach a zipper to a crochet row??

4.  What else don't I know? 

Thanks for the advice!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009 07:16:10 PM by antarcticraft - Reason: Removed hotlinked image. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009 05:27:55 AM »

I've been making my own purse for a while now, though I've made the mistake of not being too picky about stretching and things like that.  Until recently anyway. ^_-

In my last purse I put a lining of sorts made out of plastic canvas.  I didn't attach it in any way because I had plans to make more purses in the same shape, but different colours and thought it would be easier to shift the contents from purse to purse that way.

Things I learned from that: even plastic canvas isn't stiff enough to stay flat if you put too much in your purse.  Mine tends to bow out if I have too much change in my wallet. ^_-

From the looks of the picture you posted, I think you'll need something stiff inside on the bottom and all of the sides if you want it to keep that shape.  Perhaps some folks on the purses board can give you some advice on what is best to use.

As far as the construction of the crochet is concerned, it looks like it'd be fairly simple.  Two rounded-end rectangles for the sides and one long rectangle for the rest.

Attaching the handles will probably be easier and make more sense once you figure out what you're going to use to keep the sides stiff.

As for the zipper, I think the easiest way is probably to do a fabric lining and attach it to that.  I have no experience attaching a zipper to crochet, so I'm not sure about this.

Good luck! (and don't over-fill your purse when it's done ^_-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shareel

Yis! I am Jemaine-iac!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009 02:47:35 PM »

Hi there,

I would suggest that if you want it to have a stiffer look to your purse and keep it from going floppy, to use a thick yarn and a smaller hook (chunky yarn - at least 4 ply with a 3.5mm/4.0mm) Its a bit tricky to get going but you won't have to line it afterwards.
If you do 2 pannels of this thick crochet together and sew it very tightly together so it doesn't shift that it should be good enough for the sides.
For the bottom I would use a thick piece of cardboard or hard plastic sewn up between 2 layers.

As for handles, I have used margarine lids and cut out a hole in the center with an exacto knife (it doesnt have to be perfectly round)then do dc's (double crochets) or trc's (triple/treble crochets) around the handle until you can't see the plastic any longer. Do around of single crochet to keep them tight and you can then slip stitch them onto your piece where you need them. I usually over-do the slip stitches cause I am paranoid that the piece will fall apart on me  Tongue

As for attaching a zipper to a crochet row, it can be done but it is sometimes hard to keep it straight (I find) get some good strong thread and I would sew it like you would 2 piece of crochet together - through the stitches for the first round then you can go back over it and re-sew(through the fibres and previous stitches) to make sure it doesn't fall apart (but that's my paranoid side talking lol)

I recommend that once its all put together not to over fill the bag!  Crochet purses are nice but they can't handle much abuse  Sad

Hope that helps! Grin If I'm not clear on the sewing part let me know and I'll try to make up a diagram.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh so you do something everytime and suddenly you have a reputation?" - Jemaine Clement
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009 02:50:17 PM »

Holy cow!  In all of my brainstorming over how to get stiffer sides to my purses it never once occurred to me to use a smaller hook and crochet tighter.

*shakes her head* Sometimes I wonder about myself!

Thank you, Shareel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009 07:34:58 PM »

Thanks to both of you!!  I just started on it last night.  So far I'm using the red heart yarn and an H hook.  I'm doing rather tight single crochet.  I'm working on the front/bottom/back piece so far, I'm not very fast.  Thanks for the ideas.  I'll keep you updated, and probably ask for more help too!  I wanted to get the advice before I got started wrong and had to begin again. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Burn Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Dodge Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Color Replacement Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Recolor with the Brush Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Red Eye Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...