A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make for a Charity Unswap 2 Through May 30  (Read 8939 times)
Tags for this thread: charity  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 01, 2009 12:50:10 PM »

Thanks to the kind nomination of kittykill and the support of everyone who commented, Portland Women's Crisis Line (PWCL)'s annual auction will be our Unswap project.

Vulvatron will post shortly about the organization, the auction, shipping, and everything else you could possibly hope to know, so keep your eyes peeled. 

Our crafting period is the next two months (through May 30) so that everything can get shipped before the auction's June 15 deadline.

Tell your friends, neighbors, and get your craftiness on for a great cause.  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
vulvatron

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" Ralph Wiggum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 06:21:32 PM »

Thanks for choosing the Portland Women's Crisis Line (PWCL) for the second Charity Unswap! All of us at PWCL are so excited to be benefiting from Craftster and can't thank you enough for the support. So, let's get down to it!

What is PWCL and what do they do?

At PWCL, we believe that everyone deserves a life free of domestic and sexual violence. Founded in 1972 by a group of young women, PWCL became one of the first five rape relief hotlines in the US. Over the past 37 years, PWCL has expanded its programs and now serves hundreds of individuals in our Sexual Assault Program and an average of 30,000 callers yearly on our Crisis Line. We serve as the central access point for information, resources and support for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their loved ones.

Our agency operates a 24-hour domestic and sexual violence Crisis Line Program that anyone may call to get peer support, information and referrals, safety planning tips and access to vital emergency housing and transportation services. We also operate a 24-hour in-person Sexual Assault Program in which we have advocates responding to survivors of sexual violence at the hospital, police station or courthouse. PWCL also serves as one of the only agencies providing support to those working in the sex industry with our Sex Industry Outreach Project. As part of our social change mission, we also provide outreach and education through our Community Organizing Program. Lastly, we also have a Cell Phone Program in which we turn used cell phones donated by community members into life-saving 9-1-1 phones for survivors. The phones we don't use get recycled for money which goes to fund our Long Distance Transportation Program through Greyhound.

What is Safety In Numbers?

The event that will be benefiting from this Charity Unswap is Safety In Numbers: PWCL's 7th Annual Gala and Auction. This yearly event serves as one of the major revenue streams for our agency, allowing us to create and sustain funding for our crucial programs and services. This year Safety In Numbers will be held on August 28, 2009 at the Gerding Theatre at the Armory in Portland, OR.

This year we plan to join 400 of our supporters in a night full of food, drinks, fun, music, awesome auction items and lots of celebration for the work we do and the people we serve. We are proud to have one of the most enjoyable silent auctions in the area, with items ranging from expensive travel packages to affordable handmade jewelry and accessories.

The Nitty Gritty: How to Send Unswap Items to PWCL

The deadline for unswap item shipping is May 30, 2009.

You may send any items from now up until May 30, 2009 to:

Attn: Auction Committee
PWCL
PO Box 42610
Portland, OR 97242

**For a shipping address (UPS, FedEx, etc.) please contact me by e-mail. We work at a confidential location so I will have to give you an alternate physical location to ship to.**

Please include your contact information and a description of your donated items with your shipping materials. Please let us know if you are comfortable with us sharing your name on the donor list or if you would like to remain an anonymous donor. Once I receive all of your information I will generate a tax receipt to be mailed to you. Please note: you will need to determine the value of your donated items for tax purposes.

QUESTIONS? Call or email me anytime. I am available at both the phone number or email below. Since I work on the Crisis Line half-time, e-mail is the easiest way to get a hold of me. Feel free to message me on Craftster, as well. I log in at least once per day.

We cannot guarantee that every item we receive will make it into our auction. Any items we do not use will be saved for the next event or used for volunteer/staff appreciation.

If you know of anyone outside of Craftster who might be interested in donating to PWCL please feel free to pass on my contact information - I would be happy to talk to them! Thanks again for all of the love and support. I am so excited to see what everyone makes!

Kelsey Pine
Development Assistant
Portland Women's Crisis Line
503.232.9751 < Business Line
503.234.3749 < Fax
kelsey@pwcl.org < E-mail
www.pwcl.org < Website

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elvissatx

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009 07:23:22 PM »

Thanks, Vulvatron!

Okay, everyone!  Let's get crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FunThreads
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009 10:30:20 AM »

Count me in again! Don't know what I'm making yet. But I love the idea of creative freedom Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danirene
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009 06:33:53 PM »

I love this....

Having a hard time figuring out what to make though. hmmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009 09:19:31 PM »

I am in also....... don't know what to make though, will have to think about it for a little bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoami7891
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009 10:11:18 AM »

In keeping with my Unswap quilt tradition, I think I have an idea for a quilt. I thought it up yesterday at work (the school's campus coffee shop), and the theme is Coffee. I think that would appeal to most anyone, plus it'd be useful too! I'm excited to continue with this great Charity Unswapping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009 04:35:21 PM »

In keeping with my Unswap quilt tradition, I think I have an idea for a quilt. I thought it up yesterday at work (the school's campus coffee shop), and the theme is Coffee. I think that would appeal to most anyone, plus it'd be useful too! I'm excited to continue with this great Charity Unswapping!

Ok - that sounds like my kind of quilt!

question - are the auction items posted online so anyone can bid on them or only in person? wouldn't that be great?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009 04:36:21 PM by pjherbert » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatzudoin
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009 10:15:09 PM »

Oh count me in. Smiley I think I'm going to do a set of assorted cards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do personal swaps if anyones interested. If your interested please write me!
elvissatx

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009 05:35:19 AM »

I think that it's an in person auction only.

Maybe an eBay charity auction (or something of that ilk) is something that PWCL would consider in the future.

But when you're done, post the things here so everyone can admire!  I can't wait to see the coffee quilt too, and the beautiful cards.

I'm still working on figuring out what I'm going to do.  Maybe some embroidered tea towels, or maybe I'll knit up a pair of socks or two.  I've got a lot of travel in the next couple of months, so portable projects are key!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alyssa Wallace: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
AJ Schulz: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 3
AJ Schulz: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Ivy Boyd: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Marianna Hewitt The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...