A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amigurumi help -- curling under  (Read 664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Malica
« on: April 01, 2009 08:31:50 AM »

I'm making a toy for my daughter of one of her favourite cartoon characters. The character wears a tunic top. Its supposed to lie flat or even stick out a bit, but since Im just doing single crochet around and around its curling under towards his body a bit. Is there something I can do to fix this? My daughter is only 18 months so Im sure shes not going to notice, but I will.  Wink There is no boarder on the character's top in the cartoon, so it would have to be something that hopefully blends fairly decently with the previous rows of sc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 01:58:48 PM »

Are you working even? If it's supposed to stick out just a bit, you may want to use subtle increases towards the bottom instead. For instance, you could do one increase per round or even one every few rounds if you really want it to be subtle. It's a bit hard to understand what the problem really is though. A picture of what you have so far and also a reference image of the character itself would help a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009 01:04:27 PM »

You can always block it when you are done - it is the best way to go.  I never used to block but after seeing a demonstration on it blocking - even blankets, scarves, hats, whatever isn't stuffed is really the best way to go.  It will hold its shape even after washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Malica
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009 04:10:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Are you working even? If it's supposed to stick out just a bit, you may want to use subtle increases towards the bottom instead. For instance, you could do one increase per round or even one every few rounds if you really want it to be subtle. It's a bit hard to understand what the problem really is though. A picture of what you have so far and also a reference image of the character itself would help a lot.
Yes, I increased and the base (body) under decreased, so it should have worked but the last row just wanted to curl under like this:

I think part of the problem was the top was a little snug on the body which compounded the curling problem. I made a second attempt with more give to the top over the body though and that last row still curled under more than I liked. What I ended up doing was doing one row backwards at the bottom so a little curl in plus a little curl out made it all work out in the end:

You can always block it when you are done - it is the best way to go.  I never used to block but after seeing a demonstration on it blocking - even blankets, scarves, hats, whatever isn't stuffed is really the best way to go.  It will hold its shape even after washing.
I've never blocked either. Even with 100% acrylic? I thought blocking was for the natural fibres.

Hopefully I have the right colour thread in my very very sparse stash to sew the eyes on tonight. My daughter came down with the stomach flu last night and could use some serious cheering up. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009 04:55:23 PM »

Yes, you can block acrylic yarn as well.  You just can not iron it directly.  The nice thing about blocking acrylic yarn is that it softens it up A LOT too.  Having said that blocking that would take a bit of work or patience since it is stuffed and all but it can be done I'm sure.

You can also use a slightly larger hook for that last row or so to keep it from doing the curl a bit.  That might help.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 04:56:28 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Honey-Nut Cereal Bars
How to Serve Honey Spice Cake
How to Make Black Walnut Pumpkin Pie
How to Grill Peaches
How to Make Peach Cobbler
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...