A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ami face question!  (Read 746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ahhbee
« on: March 19, 2009 05:11:32 AM »

I have made an Elphba for my sister, she is fully constructed except for her face, I'm not really sure how to do it, my last doll looked fine until I stuck some eyes on her and she went from cute to creepy in two swift seconds!

Does anyone have any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009 05:22:23 AM »

what kind of eyes did you add that made her creepy looking?  Did you try some button eyes?  Most buttons make critters look cute - for the most part - granted if you use a big red button and a smaller black button stacked on top of each other and some bright yellow thread to sew them on to her - then yeah, I can see her looking mighty creepy all of a sudden..  Cheesy

Some people use felt although I'm personally not a fan of any felt trims at all - never liked the look so I don't do them.

You can also crochet some small circles for eyes (it's too late for safety eyes but you know that already I'm sure)   

Also if you add embroidered features that is a great way to go too - it is really going to have to be a personal preference to be honest with you.
Play around with it and see what you like the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
starchild_dreams
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009 07:55:49 AM »

I may be way off on this, but does she need a face?

I know what you mean, any time I tried to put a face on something like that it was creepy.

Years ago I made Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls (from a pattern) and ended up using liquid embroidery for the faces.  putting it on with pencil first.

If you use anything, I think the button idea is best.

Even if it's just eyes.  Like the idea of a face (eyes) and leave the rest subtle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009 08:50:58 AM »

I personally would avoid sew on wiggle eyes in my opinion they are old school and creepy at the same time. Scary stuff.
You can't really do safety eyes as stated above as you've all ready assembled the head and stuffed.
I agree with above buttons seem to be the way to go. I'd ignore the mouth if possible and just add eyes and a nose if you were planning to make her a nose.
I personally like layering buttons and felt to give a slightly more real look but that's jsut me.
You can use felt and make it look nice it's all about cutting it nice and even and making sure they are the same. Not easy but it can be done!

You can also embroider but if you've never done it before I HIGHLY recomend making a little crochet swatch and practicing till you've got it down. Embroidery is easy to mess up if you've never done it and it does stretch crochet stitches so practice on something other than the doll first.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009 09:09:49 AM »

A) she's a witch... would creepy be a bad thing?
B) maybe try embroidery because it is slow.  if you didn't like where it was going, you could change things.

ETA:  oops just read the above.  well, probably so did you, so no problem.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009 09:11:51 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
missyjo
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009 06:47:34 PM »

eek, i'm no good at faces myself! but i second the person above that suggested you embroider something. simple would be best i think. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mel
add me on ravelry! http://www.ravelry.com/people/missyjo
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009 04:30:33 AM »

I do the eyes only bit a lot.  Sometimes simple is best. 
I hope you post what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Wayuki
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009 03:12:32 PM »

You could try embroidering some simple black dot eyes, with a small white stitch in each of them to create highlights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingerberrycc
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009 09:08:37 AM »

As far as eyes, try putting them closer together than you would think. It tends to instantly "cutesy up" the look of the face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mooncatcrochet
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009 12:33:53 PM »

I made a bunny recently and embroidered eyes on it and it also went instantly from cute to creepy. (But i liked it Lol!!)

Anyway, small round, black eyes usually work for ami and do look cute. Since you've already sewed it up, have you tried making Yarn knot eyes? Here's a tutorial which shows you how to add eyes to an already finished toy:

http://esunbeams.com/knittycat/patterns/knittycatsYarnKnotEyesforPeepsTutorial.pdf

Hope it works out!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009 12:45:06 PM by Mooncat71 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Reads of the Summer
Dear Virgin America by Annie Choi
Inspiring Quotes from Nelson Mandela
Between the Pages of The Murmurings With Carly Anne West
Atria Authors Love Book Bloggers
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...