A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 04/01/09 - Macrame is Back-rame!  (Read 36377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2009 05:41:35 AM »

Update! April 2, 2009 - The Aftermath

OK. We admit it. We were only playing our annual April Fools joke and Craftster is not in fact becoming MacrameNet.net and focusing solely on macrame. So for all of you who went out yesterday traded every craft supply they owned in for twine and wooden beads, were sorry! Ha ha! Thank you all for playing along so hysterically with our joke yesterday. It reminds us why we love the Craftster community much. For those who missed out, heres what we did

We re-branded the site with a hideous 70s design complete with 9 different variations on the logo (in the upper left corner) for MacrameNet.net. You can click these thumbnails below to see em.

We also gave everyone random macrame-themed avatars. There were 39 of the altogether. Below are a few examples. Then we further amused ourselves by assigning new names to all of Craftster Moderators like "taloola" -> "macraloola" and "Batgirl" -> "Batcrame."

Here are just a few of my favorite reactions posted in the forums yesterday. Thank you all (well, the 98% who got the joke!) for playing along and making us all laugh out loud with your reactions!

"oh, knot me up and tie tassles to me, this is brilliant!" - lol-lol

"I call I get to rake the carpet!" - Knichole

"I love the guy with the orange cap and binoculars. I think I might have dated him." - A2K

"Im so glad you finally decided to take the site into a bold new direction of the 1970s, and all those macramed cards I made got through to you. I dont know why it ever went out of stylemaybe there was a shortage of twine?" - coralsaver

"Im so glad that Macrame.net is bringing sexy back. Its been gone for way too long." - kittykill

"The scariest thing of all. I have macrame yarn under my bed, just waiting for this revolution! Im going to have to get hopping, and then get shopping - for a new spider plant!" - smrfchic

"Totally diggin the hawt man-cram!" - amiemoo

"My husband has been bugging and bugging me for a new sexy vest. Thanks MacrameNet.net!" - ranchgirl

"Groovy baby! This site is so far out. Love hangin with all you groovy knotty people" - Gege

"Now I can finally stop being ashamed of all my beautiful macrame crafts. Ive been hiding them in the closet for my whole life!! Next time my boyfriend makes fun of me for my gorgeous knotted string lingerie Im going to bring him here. Its about time someone finally understands me as a person. THANK YOU SO MUCH!" - lafemmefatale

"This is awesome. Im going to start working on a man-vest for my sweetie right away. Everyone at work will be so jealous of him!" - JadedJenn

"wow i did not know there was a macrame stormtrooper. amazing, that 70s technology (i am not going to even mention that clown and just hope it goes away. tomorrow.)" - nataluna

"Groovy! Now I can finally use that Girl Scout knowledge that has been tucked away for sooo long!" - bevsbaubles

"Later today, I am going to sell ALL of my crafting gear that is not macrame-related (beads smaller than 1″ diameter, yarn that isnt heavy acrylic or hemp, anything that isnt avacado, beige, orange, or yellow in color, etc.)" - RachOfTheJungle

"HippieKender sprawls out on her rust colored shag carpet while making a large macrame plant holder." - HippieKender

April 1, 2009 - News! Macrame is back-rame!

Craftster is now focusing on macrame and becoming MacrameNet.net!

You may think macrame is an outdated 70's craft, but in fact, it is the hottest trend sweeping the craft world. With the recent popularity of owl motifs in other crafts, and the recent economic downturn sending people scrambling to find inexpensive hobbies, macrame was primed for a comeback.

This versatile craft can be used to decorate your home with large-scale wall hangings, cradle your spider plant in comfort and safety, or even make an attractive man-vest for your favorite guy.

We have conducted many surveys, and based on the results have decided to re-focus Craftster, making it the world's largest web community devoted to macrame. We do understand that this change may be a little difficult to adjust to, especially for some of our longtime members, but we assure you, once you tie the knot, you will never look back. For those of you who have stuck by us during the past few years' phenomenal growth, we love you, and hope you will give us time to prove that this change will be a huge improvement. For those of you who are new, welcome to this exciting new direction! Grab some twine and get ready to be knotty!

macrame pursesmacrame flowersmacrame vest

Starting next week we will debut "Macrame Monday", a weekly blog post featuring the best of the best macrame projects. Tute Tuesday will feature macrame tutorials to get you started, and Freaky Friday will feature other up-and-coming hot new craft trends, such as String Art, and Paint by Numbers.

macrame owlmacrame vestsmacrame planter

According to our focus groups, and survey results, this change should make Craftster more popular and user-friendly than ever before. We have complete faith in our research, and look forward to moving ahead as the new, improved, <b>MacrameNet.Net!</b>

Now, let's get knotty!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010 01:11:57 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 05:43:25 AM »

Soooo excited!

Swaps should be even more amazing now, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
TheSapphireMoon

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009 05:45:08 AM »

ACK!!!!  This background is SOOOOO distracting!  The REPLY, BOOKMARK, etc. links at the top and bottoms of the posts are SO hard to read!  Geez I was in the middle of cleaning up my inbox and suddenly the whole layout changed and I though Craftster got hacked or something (hacked by macrame LOL!).  Can we find something not so busy?Huh

On a positive note, I love macrame!  I have been doing hemp jewelry for years...nothing so complicated as making clothing yet though!

OMG!!!!  My avatar is some scary bunny.....what's going on Huh  Whoa I can't handle this....I don't love macrame THAT much...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 05:46:31 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
LeapFeetFirst

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009 05:46:10 AM »

I am so excited about the new focus of Craftster- oops I mean MacrameNet.net. The world definately needs more macrame in it!!

P.S. my new avatar is super sexy!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009 05:47:39 AM by UntouchableFace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009 05:46:29 AM »

ACK!!!!  This background is SOOOOO distracting!  The REPLY, BOOKMARK, etc. links at the top and bottoms of the posts are SO hard to read!  Geez I was in the middle of cleaning up my inbox and suddenly the whole layout changed and I though Craftster got hacked or something (hacked by macrame LOL!).  Can we find something not so busy?Huh

On a positive note, I love macrame!  I have been doing hemp jewelry for years...nothing so complicated as making clothing yet though!

OMG!!!!  My avatar is some scary bunny.....what's going on Huh

Aww, really? Sad  I think it takes some getting used to.  I've used it for a few weeks now and my eyes have totally adjusted to the new colors/background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009 05:47:28 AM »

I am so excited about the new focus of Craftster- oops I mean MacrameNet.net. The world definately needs more macrame in it!!

THAT is going to take some getting used to!  My brain is programmed to say "Craftster"!  We're going to have the URL redirect from Craftster.org to Macrame.net, so it shouldn't be bad for members trying to remember which address to access, at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009 05:49:26 AM »

OMG!!!!  My avatar is some scary bunny.....what's going on Huh  Whoa I can't handle this....I don't love macrame THAT much...

We implemented a whole BUNCH of macrame-related avatars for members to use.  We might allow FOC to use their own personal avatars, if we get bad feedback on this concept, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009 05:51:11 AM »

Those macrame handbags are kinda cool!
And I am diggin' my retro green teddy avatar!

I can't wait to post my new source for giant macrame beads!

Can the first challenge be a plant holder thingy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
endlessly_intricate
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009 05:51:27 AM »

Hehe.  I was on Craftster a bit ago wondering if there would be any super awesome changes today... then I came back and there were.  Awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009 05:51:37 AM »

I've been waiting for this change for a long time, it's great to finally see it happen Smiley

I think the new avatars will definitely help us all to remember this new focus.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
How to use Lighting Ratios in Photography
How to use Your Sekonic Light Meter
Portrait Photography Tips
How to use 2 Different Light Setups in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...