A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding give-aways?  (Read 8411 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scully153
« on: February 21, 2004 11:38:20 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm getting married in 3 months (exactly! eek!  Shocked)
and looking for ideas on what to give our guests at the wedding..

Before you start thinking about heart shaped boxes and wedding bells - we are having a young-people-only party, with alternative music (think grunge and electronica), and the main idea is that everyone can come and do their own thing - there will be room to dance, and to eat, and to sit and talk and even to sleep.

So, obviously, none of the cutey-pie ideas work.
We want something that people will actually be able to use later on - I thought of marble magnets (but I have no idea what to put in them), but still looking for inspiration..

any ideas would be more then welcome.. I love the stuff you guys come up with!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004 11:55:29 AM »

how about mixed cd's of music from the reception?

time consuming, but a fun souvenir-and you could get creative with the covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004 07:32:27 PM »

Marble magnets would be cute.  You could use little pics of the happy couple.  (Whether that's you or someone else is up to you...   Wink )  Buy a bit sheet of metal and put it in a frame, then put the magnets all over it and stand it up at the door to the party, with little notes under the magnets that say "Couple's names and date"

A CD is always fun.  For something different, buy those mini-CDs.  Usually they play in regular CD players.  They can be decorated with sharpie pens if you don't feel like buying and printing labels.

Buttons.  Not hold-your-shirt-closed buttons, but saying buttons.  All sorts of sayings, like the buttons in Empire Records.

Duct tape roses, if you can stand to make that many.

Small candles or soaps in fun shapes.

Oooh, here's an idea.  Molded paper hearts with seeds in them.  When you plant them, the paper degrades and the seeds grow.  Here's a link to instructions on how to make molded paper:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_paper_crafts_make_paper/article/0,1789,HGTV_3292_1381658,00.html
Get some wild-flower seeds and add them to the slurry, after the blending but before the pouring.  Instead of getting a deckle and all that hassel, you can use candy or soap molds.  Just fill them to the desired depth and wait till dry.  (This takes longer than the deckle method, because the deckle has a screen, and the water evaporates faster, but it provides you with a thicker end result.)
For a May wedding, I think this would be enchanting.  It's simple and unique, and adds a little beauty to the world rather than one more knicknack to clutter up your friends' homes.  (Not that I don't love knicknacks, mind you.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
aryn
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004 08:40:34 PM »

Buttons.  Not hold-your-shirt-closed buttons, but saying buttons.  All sorts of sayings, like the buttons in Empire Records.

Oh my god. I love this. I am SO doing this now.

I'm getting married in July, and we managed for find champagne flutes at IKEA for 25 cents each, so we bought enough for all the guests and we'll fill them up with fun stuff. So far I'm thinking those puffy paper stars, but I haven't thought of much else yet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004 08:43:04 PM by aryn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004 08:48:47 PM »

Lothruin....fantastic ideas!  Where were you when i needed ideas for wedding giveaways? Ok well this site wasn't up yet...well home computers were not really the norm. OK so i got married a very long time ago ! lol.

But great ideas...i'm using the seeded paper one for small gifts in our Mayday baskets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004 08:50:43 PM »

Okay, first of all, I LOVE the seed idea!  You could even see if you could score some seeds at a wholesaler of the flowers that you're using in the wedding...  

Second of all, I think the button idea is absolutely fabulous!  But where do you buy/rent one of those tiny button makers for cheap?  I'd love to make my own buttons, but I can never find those button makers/supplies for the smaller buttons.

I promise I will try to think of some cute ideas, I'm just all out of them.  I hate dry spells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004 09:08:33 PM »

Well, the industrial ones cost a pretty penny.  You can buy cheaper models on Ebay, but they can still run up a pretty good price.  And of course there are the childrens' kits type makers, which I can't even begin to imagine the quality on.  I know our schools have button makers, and you could call around to your local schools and see if they have some, and if they'd let you use them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Scully153
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004 01:33:37 AM »

Thank you ALL for the great ideas!!

I never even thought of seeds.. now I'm thinking of buying those small terra-cotta pots, making the molded paper, and sticking the paper on wooden skewers inside the flowerpot..

I love the ideas - keep 'em coming!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004 11:05:45 PM »

Maybe you could make the paper castings with the seeds, but them on the stick& have a vase ion the middle of the table with flowers & the sticks in them... Put a small frame on each table  with a note expalining what they are.

There was a theread on here talking about making the mable magnets & using them as table scatters...

Decorated candle pillars. You cna get simple pillars at teh $ store & decoragte them

little decorated "stash" boxes or pill boxes.

All I can think of right now....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
melman

i'm a crafty aggie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004 08:19:13 AM »

I'm getting married in July, and we managed for find champagne flutes at IKEA for 25 cents each

It's not fair that I don't live near an IKEA but I'd make a trip for 25 cent flutes.  Does anyone know if these are still available that cheap?  I'm getting married in 8 weeks - yikes - and these would be great gifts.  But I'm also liking the seed paper idea since the reception is a garden theme.

Anything edible is always a hit..can't be used later, but at least it won't go to waste.  Chocolate/candy molds come in all shapes or even personalized fortune cookies would be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------------------------------------
there are three kinds of aggies
those of us who can count and
those of us who cannot

http://claybar.org | http://texasreddirtphotos.com | http://oldorangecafe.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
How To Tease Your Hair Properly
9 Lies About Your Hair You Probably Believe
How to Get the Sock Bun Look
13 Celebrities Who Transformed Their Faces By Changing Their Hair
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...