A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun Yarn and/or Fiber Swap Round 2  (Read 13604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragonflyducky
easily distracted

ooooooooh!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2009 09:43:39 PM »

Thanks SewMama for letting me know about this swap! I'm so happy there are so many fiber fanatics here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2009 04:50:10 PM »

I really appreciate the heads-up on this one.  I am hoping that time permits me to join in.  I've been slacking on my spinning recently (which also includes setting the twist on 5 or 6 hanks already spun!)  I definitely need something like this swap to put me back in the game.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2009 05:57:06 PM »

My goodness, I cannot believe all of these stories about fiber snobbery! It makes me mad. :[ Everyone I've encountered thus far on my journey of fiber-y learning has been very welcoming and helpful... I'm planning on attending a local fiber festival on the 18th (I was so excited to discover that there is one being held only 45 minutes from where I live! I was not expecting that) and HOPE I don't encounter such discouraging attitudes!

But yeah, about that fiber festival...I'm very, very excited!!! I'm going to try to be good and not spend much money between now and then because if I do end up going (IhopeIhopeIhope) I want to be able to stock up, fo sho. Tongue

My mom just got back from visiting my Aunt in Ohio and brought back for me some samples from a shop she visited... 1oz black llama, .4 oz fawn/grey blend of huacaya, and 1oz angora!!! So soft I can't even feel it when I touch it..mmmm! I'm too nervous to spin it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2009 07:23:17 PM »

I just got Intertwined today!  Yummy art yarns and techniques in there.  I'm not ready for that yet but it is fun to dream and inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2009 07:35:17 PM »

My girlfriends and I always do Maryland sheep and wool fest and we take in only 4 items. A backpack, not a shoulder bag they get in the way in the huge crowds and make it hard to sneak past stopping site seers. A set amount of cash in 20s and 10s and 5s to make chage easy. A cell phone to call each other when seperated and lastly a big bottle of water. Maybe that will help you out at your festival. Oh and go as early as you possibly can cause nothing is sadder than wanting something (Socks that Rock booth) and they are all out by the time you get there. It is also very fun talking with the folks who raised the animals that provided you with the fam fibers and makes it a little more special too. And lucky girl on that Huacaya/angora blend..I don't think I have ever felt any of that and I think it's pretty rare too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2009 11:25:09 PM »

Ohh festivals are fun!  I went to Stitches West .. figuring there would be lots of yarn, and little fiber, but there was a LOT of people with LOADS of fiber ... alpaca locks for $3 an ounce!!!   Ahh the choices!!!  I think Thenutmeg2000 has the right of it!  Don't take any credit .. just cash .. when you run out, you're done!  Personally, I like to make a fairly quick tour of the vendors with a notebook and jot down where the booths are that I want to re-visit .. then come back and spend. I find I spend less that way and look for the better bargins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2009 05:59:30 AM »

they're vintage and incredibly dirty.
Nesse - I've hand carded some of the dyed wool locks I sent you and they are coming up nep free!  When I need to clean my cards, I'll take clean wool and card it through.  Just how vintage are they?  Are the tines rusted or loose?  Do they have all the tines?  How far apart are the tines?

Nutmeg - I've not dealt with the woolery although I do get their catalog.  then I can show my DH what it is I need him to build for me!

fiber snobbery
I am a self-proclaimed fiber snob!  but then I just refuse to buy acrylic yarn from wally world!  In the world of fiber arts, there is no one way to do anything!  I am self-taught with only Carol Kroll's book on spinning (no videos, just that book).  I was really put off a few times when I had been told by 'advanced spinners' that every yarn had to be perfectly balanced and even else it wasn't usable yarn.  Or when someone said there was no way I could spin a certain way ... it just wouldn't work and I had been spinning that way for a while and it most certainly did work.  All handspun yarn is beautiful in my opinion!  Thanks for the kind words - i only do my part to spread fibery goodness!

I'm attending my first fibre fest of the season on the 18th also and taking a few new spinners with me.  4 or 5 years ago, I was able to purchase a mid-1970's Ashford Traditional for $100 in their silent auction.  It is so much fun seeing old fiber friends that I've met at previous year's festivals.

Great advice nutmeg and ariaya!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009 05:59:53 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2009 07:42:15 AM »

I cannot wait for the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It will be my first fiber fest and I'm so excited!!! Just 3 1/2 weeks to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2009 07:44:50 AM »

I cannot wait for the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It will be my first fiber fest and I'm so excited!!! Just 3 1/2 weeks to go!

Oooh! You're right!  I really want to go but I haven't yet decided whether or not to.  Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2009 07:49:01 AM »

I've yet to encounter fiber snobbery.  everyone has been so kind and helpful.   I'm self taught, with pretty much no help.  I put wool to the wheel and went to town.   I think I'm going to google fiber festival and see if there are any near me.... all this talk of fiber fests and guilds makes me wish there was more then just me spinning up here.  there must be, but I've yet to hear of anyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Black Roses by Jane Thynne Book Trailer
J.A. Jance Explains Her Writing Routine
Standing Still in Central Park
Love Anthony By Lisa Genova
The Death Sculptor by Chris Carter
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...