A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun Yarn and/or Fiber Swap Round 2  (Read 15822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2009 07:31:45 PM »

I like cake/frosting dyes. I DO NOT like easter egg dyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2009 07:33:47 PM »

Ginamonster - Uh oh, I just bought ten boxes of Easter dye on sale for .30 each. lol Hope I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2009 07:54:18 PM »

I bought RIT dyes.  It was all could get where I am.  I'm not sure how they hold up colorfastness wise, but they seem to take okay.    Next payday I plan on buying  Jacquard dyes along with my fiber for this swap.  Birkland Bros. has a set of .5 oz in a great selection for 75$  I think its 11 pots?  From looking around, that seems reasonable.   So much for paying off student loans.... >.>  LOL 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2009 07:58:16 AM »

What do you guys think about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/wool-picker-spinning-wheel-roving-fiber-weaving-carder_W0QQitemZ140318482162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20aba21ef2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's cheaper than all the other pickers but looks quite a bit smaller.  Is it worth it?  My girlfriend was saying we should try to make our own, but I wouldn't even know where to start.   

I have four garbage bags full of icelandic wool that I am almost done washing, and without any tools, I am not sure how to get the vm out of it time-effectively.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2009 08:31:13 AM »

GOT MY WHEEL TODAY!!! An Ashford Traveler. :]

You will absolutely love your Traveller.

Don't forget to get on the Ashford site & register your wheel.  Did you get a single drive or double drive?  This is important to know when you start buying other flyers.  Traveller bobbins are pretty inexpensive, the 4 you got with the wheel won't be enough!!  Check out the Jumbo Flyer kit.  It was the first upgrade I got.  You can spin up 2 full bobbins and ply them all on the Jumbo.

When you get the Jumbo flyer, you'll be replacing the front maiden.  There will be a grommet so you can still use the regular flyer with the jumbo front maiden in place.

I got my Traveller in 2002 and it served me very well.  I did get a Kromski Sonata last year because I needed a folding wheel.  I still use my Traveller for all my plying.

Congrats!!

Wow!  I'm impressed with that wool picker!  I have a cradle picker my husband made me, but that one looks like it picks the wool better/faster than my cradle picker
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009 08:36:16 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2009 09:14:53 AM »

I am going to my first Fiber Festival this weekend- the Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival in Lake Elmo, MN!!

http://www.shepherdsharvestfestival.org/index.shtml

I am super excited. I convinced my husband to come along by telling him there would be live animals and food Grin I hope to pick up a bunch of wool and fiber for this swap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #316 on: May 04, 2009 09:24:28 AM »

I am going to my first Fiber Festival this weekend- the Shepherd's Harvest Sheep and Wool Festival in Lake Elmo, MN!!

I am super excited. I convinced my husband to come along by telling him there would be live animals and food Grin I hope to pick up a bunch of wool and fiber for this swap.

Hmm.... I'm very tempted to make the drive.  This looks like something I would spend a lot of money on, and I have a trip coming up to be saving for....   Crap.  What to do, what to do...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #317 on: May 04, 2009 10:51:01 AM »

Hmm.... I'm very tempted to make the drive.  This looks like something I would spend a lot of money on, and I have a trip coming up to be saving for....   Crap.  What to do, what to do...

Come on, you know you want to go  Grin  Give in to the fiber side ( which is much like the dark side but warmer and smells like sheep)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freestyle
aka ModernSpin

« Reply #318 on: May 04, 2009 11:33:20 AM »

Thanks for the dye ideas everyone! I'll definitely give food coloring a try, and invest in Jacquard if I like the process.  Smiley

GOT MY WHEEL TODAY!!! An Ashford Traveler. :]

Congratulations!!! Let us know how you like it! Going to the festival really made me want a wheel. They had a bunch available for sale, but weren't set up to try out. When I got home I started poking around websites comparing different wheels and learning about them a bit. There are several that look like they would fit in my space and let me spin a variety of thicknesses- the Kromski Prelude, Kromski Minstrel, and the Ashford Traveller are available at great prices on eBay right now. I'm going to see if I can find a place around here to try a few out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: May 04, 2009 12:12:41 PM »

I'm going to chime in with my love of my Ashford Traveler.  I bought it from a local woman who bought it and barely spun on it.  Single drive with a brake band.  I LOVE my Jumbo flyer unit.  I can spin stupidly thin(think 2 ply lace yay!) on that wheel(with the normal flyer unit) or stupidly thick(with the Jumbo flyer).  Its wonderful!  The best not thought out purchase ever LOL  Only thing I need now is a few  more jumbo bobbins.... maybe a few more regular ones too... LOL 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Pocketwizard Plus II Wireless Flash Trigger
Shooting For Super Resolution
Lighting Shooting and Retouching
Photographing Autumn Leaves
How to Photograph a Scarecrow
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...