A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross stitched Tetris magnets! *Now with Tutorial* - image heavy!  (Read 46230 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , video_game , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JennaDickes

Oh so tragically hip

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 31, 2009 06:02:53 PM »

I have a feeling something like these have probably been done here before considering the huge amount of video game inspired cross stitches I see on Craftster. I actually got the idea for these from some mini Mario stitches I saw a long time ago. It's been forever since I've posted in this section so I thought I would stop by and show my own retro video game creations!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now by popular demand (and by popular I mean like 3 people and me being bored  Tongue), here is a tutorial on how to make these. They are very easy so hopefully I don't screw up the directions, this is my first online tutorial. I tend to be wordy so I'm sorry in advance if any of this is confusing!

Materials needed: Standard size Yarn (black plus all the colors you want to use for each piece), Large upholstery needle, Magnetic strips or recycled magnets, sharpie, scissors, hot glue gun, and of course the plastic canvas.

Step 1:   So start off drawing out the shapes of the various pieces with a Sharpie, directly onto the canvas. I make each square section measure 4 x 4 little plastic squares. Separate each outline by just one grid row. That way, you'll get the most out of the canvas but still use enough to keep every edge good and sturdy.
Step 2:   Cut the shapes out using petite scissors which will allow you to get a smooth edge. Otherwise, if you leave too much of the perpendicular plastic on the edge, your yarn will snag on it and get messy. But don't cut *into* the edge or else the grid will be weakened. Haha, I hope that makes sense. If you're not familiar with plastic canvas, you will figure out these things soon enough on your own anyhow  Cheesy

Step 3:    Start off with the black yarn for the outlines. Cut about 2.5 feet of the yarn and pull it through any hole on the edge. For a clean, un-bulky back, don't do any knotting at the end of the yarn piece. Just leave about 2 inches of it sticking out. Then as you continue, you can wrap the main yarn around the canvas AND the leftover thread that was on the end. Once you have a good inch of the ending wrapped into the main line, you can trim the excess as shown in the fourth pic below.
So for the outline all you do is keep wrapping the yarn around the edge. I make 2 rotations per square and 3 on the corners so that the plastic doesn't show through.
When done with the edges, move on to fill in the inner lines. Just do a diagonal slash through the crosses (two rotations again so the plastic doesn't show). I don't make X's with mine because I just prefer it that way but you can do it the traditional way if that's your fancy.

Step 4:   Now that the outline is done as shown in the the first pic below, you can do the filler color. Do the diagonal slashes just as with the black lines. I also do two rotations for each line. Continue to fill in the sections, and add in a full "X" in the spots where there is a gap between the black lining and the filler.

Step 5:   The back of your finished piece will look like the first pic below. Now it's time for magnets and glue!
If you have a roll of magnet as shown, just cut a small length of it. You can get these rolls from any craft store for pretty cheap. But if you have leftover magnets from whatever recycled material, those will work great too. Just hot glue the magnet securely to the back and you're done!

See, easy!  Wink Feel free to PM me for any other info. Godspeed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009 08:02:46 PM by JennaDickes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009 06:05:04 PM »

These are awesome! I've only even seen them as perler beads. But these are so much more fun!! WISTED Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JLMS
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009 06:07:43 PM »

Really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby42
Ruby42

I could stitch nice words, but why?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009 06:10:21 PM »

Oh, I could get stoned and play with these for hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009 06:12:23 PM »

Oh my gosh I'd love to have a set of those on my fridge! I'd arrange them all the time. lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachelKristin
rude crude & tattooed

Vulgarity is my specialty

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009 06:38:54 PM »

Oh WHOA! That is so very awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Tumblr page
http://rachelkristin.tumblr.com/

Check out my Etsy store to purchase some of my work!
http://rachelmckay.etsy.com

Do you Twitter? Follow me!
http://twitter.com/JigsawYouth

My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelmckay/
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009 07:59:57 PM »

Tee hee hee....those are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009 08:18:41 PM »

These are really neat. I too have only seen the perler bead magnets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009 08:52:14 PM »

What a cute idea! Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
karizmatic
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009 09:35:57 PM »

I LOVE EVERYTHING TETRIS, so this, to me, is AWESOME! the fact that they actually have function is even better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.karizmatic.com
nerd. serial hobbyist. militant friendly.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Red Carpet Waves Like Naomi Watts
How To: Create Classic Waves With Pin Curls
How to Get Big Hair With Serge Normant
The Tricks to Growing Long, Beautiful Hair
Zac Posen Proves That Crimped Hair Can Be Glamorous at NYFW Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...