A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attractive/clever/cool way to patch boy's pants?  (Read 9323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: March 31, 2009 02:00:15 PM »

My son has busted through the knees of EVERY pair of long pants he owns, and with summer (surely!) right around the corner and a growth spurt destined to hit before he needs long pants again ... I'm looking for an interesting way to patch 'em up.

Were it for my daughter, I could applique flowers or hearts or something like that. But for an almost 7 YO boy? I'm fresh out of ideas that would not look babyish or, well, like his mom just slapped some crappy patches on the knees of his pants.

Also, I find that by the time the knees rip, the surrounding fabric is often pretty fragile, so I'm open to suggestions for dealing with that, too.

I'm thinking I should just cut them off into shorts and sew the boy a few pair of pants, but thought maybe some of you craftsters might have some brilliant suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009 02:54:39 PM »

No help for now but something to try for next years long pants. Put a patch on the inside of the pants leg when they are new. My first grandson almost never tore through his pants but boy oh boy the second one can barely make it a couple on wearings and the knees are about shot. I remembered when my brother was young my mom copied the idea from some "more expensive" jeans onto the "cheap" jeans she bought. It works great. We by the iron on patches from WalMart or JoAnn's and put them in the inside with a very hot iron. It is hardly noticable on the outside and the pants last so much longer. Of course it doesn't let us show our creative side but then I think that is easier to save for the princess, oops I mean granddaughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatergrrl

Seeking, seeking, always seeking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009 08:13:59 PM »

My son has busted through the knees of EVERY pair of long pants he owns, and with summer (surely!) right around the corner and a growth spurt destined to hit before he needs long pants again ... I'm looking for an interesting way to patch 'em up.

My friend Elle patches her two little boys pants with fun fabrics such as pirates and flags and race cars. She'll do them as big squares that reach from seam to seam. They look like fun, and really dress up the uniform!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009 07:42:07 AM »

My friend Elle patches her two little boys pants with fun fabrics such as pirates and flags and race cars. She'll do them as big squares that reach from seam to seam. They look like fun, and really dress up the uniform!
I tried to do this to my son's pants (he's Cool and he ripped through them in 1 day!  I didn't interface the fabric patch though, so I would suggest doing that.  I am going to try the patch on the inside of new jeans next time I buy him pants though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimmie_dewitt
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009 08:31:38 AM »

My 7 year old is in the same boat! I have 1 pair out of 5 jeans he has right now that don't have holey knees!I left a couple pair, simply because they look trendy right now, with the worn out look. Then I took the other two, and I sewed fabric onto the inside. It made the pattern peek through the hole. It is from seam to seam. So far it is holding up good, but I like the interfacing idea mentioned above! I will have to remember that for next year! The neat thing is, he can pick whatever patterns he wants, and if you check the remnants, they can be really cheap as well.

My 4 year old has a pair of toughskins, which are awesome jeans, they have the patches on the insides of the knees. They can be expensive, so I am going to have to try that though, ironing the patches on the inside. Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnarlyis3
Jessica R

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009 06:30:38 PM »

My brother used to go thru jeans like that too. My mother used to iron yellow canvas patches on the inside of his jeans when they were spankin' new, from seam to seam and from well above and to well below the knees. It was the only way for them to barely last out almost until he outgrew them. My dad used to have to take his shoes into the repair shop and get them capped across the top/front of the toes too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoops & Scissors, Needles & Thread.
Don't loose pins while on the bed!
momma2many
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009 11:55:58 PM »

I am about to do this with my 6 yearolds jeans.  I am going to patch under the hole with camo fabric and the applique a skull just above the rip ( leaving the rip exposed but the hole covered from underneath and just let the frayed fabric show,  then I will applique Rock n roll on the other leg (covering the small hole on that leg)  then I am making a raglan t shirt with camo sleeves and a black center  and I will reverse applique a skull in the camo fabric.  it looks good in my head like it was meant to be that way, lol.  I just hope it will look as good as I think it will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CurlyCass
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009 12:19:32 PM »

I think the patching underneath leaving the rip exposed is your best bet. My 6 year old son agrees he says it will make him look tough LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
When Your Shadow Breaks, This Trick Will Put the Pieces Back Together Again
Make It Easy: DIY Foot Scrub
DIY Foot Scrub
Winter Skin Beauty Boost
Theodore Leaf Shares Some Quick Makeover Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...