A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross body Hipster Bags..Tute Added .. Very Very Image Heavy.  (Read 37262 times)
Tags for this thread: hipster , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gatchley
« on: March 29, 2009 10:30:28 PM »

I been making these hipster bags today and I love them.  Smiley They are my favorite style of bag. I wear them cross body so it leaves my hands free for shopping. One side has a zippered pocket and one side has a open pocket for my phone and keys and it also has a middle zippered main compartment. I took a lot of pics while I was making the brown one so I will try to add a tutorial tomorrow.

Now for the tute.. I like making these bags with outdoor furniture fabric. I think it looks like fabric that backpacks are made of and its stiff enough you don't need any interfacing.  Your going to need a sewing machine and some heavy needles that can sew through several layers of fabric. I'll do this in 3 parts, the zippered side , the open pocket side and the lining and top zipper.
  Lets start with the zippered pocket side first.
You will need a zipper that is 11" or longer. I prefer longer. It's easier to work with and can be cut off .
I like making these bags in 2 colors .
You will need 2 -8 1/2 x 11 pieces of the solid fabric which happens to be the exact size of your ordinary printing paper.
1-4x11 print fabric  and one 9 1/2 x 11 print fabric.
Lay your zipper upside down on the on the 11" side of the solid fabric with the right side of the fabric facing up and pin. 

then sew as shown in the pic below.

Now lay your other 8 1/2x 11 solid fabric with the right sides of the fabric together and sandwiching the zipper and pin.
Sew through these layers as shown in the pic below.

Lay your zipper right side up now and pin the 4x11 print fabric on the zipper with right side of the fabric facing down as shown in the pic and sew the zipper on as you did for the other side.

Sandwich the zipper now with your 9 1/2 x 11 print fabric as shown sew as you did the other side.

You need to press it as shown in the pic. The 9 1/2 x 11 print piece will be laying down toward the bottom. This is the back of your zippered pocket.

Top stitch on both sides of the zipper.

Pin these layers together and sew within the seam . Don't cut that zipper off yet. We will do that later. Now the zippered side is complete. Grin

Now for the open pocket side of the bag. This side is easier than the zippered side. Smiley
You will need 1- 8 1/2 x 11 solid fabric
                   1- 8 1/2x 11 print fabric
                   1 - 12 1/2x 11 print fabric
Lay your 8 1/2x 11 solid fabric and your 8 1/2 x 11 print fabric with right sides together and sew one 11" side. Turn over press and topstitch.

Lay this on your 12 1/2 x 11 print fabric and pin and sew within the seam to hold these layers together.

Now you have completed the pocket side.
Lay your pocket side and your zippered side with right sides together and match up the pockets and pin .

Sew a seam down both sides and the bottom. I always sew double seams to make the bag sturdy then trim your zipper even with seam and turn right side out.

We are ready for the final part of the bag. The lining and zippered top.
You will need - 1 6x50" solid for the strap
                     4 - 2 1/2 x 10 1/2 Print for the zippered top
                     2 - 10 1/2 x 12  for the lining for your center compartment.
Lay your zipper upside down on right side of the print fabric.

Pin another piece of the print fabric sadwiching the zipper as shown and sew.

Do the other side of the zipper the same way and press and top stitch both sides along the zipper and it will look like this.

Pin your finished zippered top to the right side of your lining fabric.

Now pin the other side of the lining the same way .

Sew both sides you have pinned and it will look like this.

Pin both your lining sides together and sew down both sides and the bottom, then trim of the zipper even with the seam.

Press down 1/2 inch of the top of the bag toward the inside. Press down 1/2 inch the top of the lining .

Put your zippered lining in the bag and pin both together around the top.

Make your strap by taking your 6x50" solid fabric . Fold and press in half then press both sides to the middle and top stitch along both sides .

Pin your finished strap in both sides and sew around the top. Sewing the straps is the thickest part to sew through.

Yay!!! Your done.  Now you have cute little hipster bag.
Sorry for such a long tute and so many pics but it was the only way I knew to explain how to make this bag clearly.  Gwen  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009 07:11:50 PM by gatchley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladyceltic
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009 06:52:00 AM »

Those look awesome! Can't wait to see the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009 06:59:44 AM »

These are so cute!  I love the pockets!  I will be watching for your tute!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewfumust
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009 07:50:09 AM »

Wonderful!  It's great to finally see this type of bag posted.  It'll be very interesting to see your tute.  I've been making them for the last little while.  I create the patterns as I go and do run into "unforeseen" problems but soldier through. I'm not sure if I love making them, but I do love wearing them.  I'll post some once I've done my obligatory ten posts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyVeganCMP
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009 07:51:56 AM »

Awesome bag!

Waiting patiently for the tute...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limemade
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009 11:10:46 AM »

How funny!  I have been thinking about making something very similar this week.  I'll have to wait for your tute, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am trying to turn all of my non crafty friends and relatives into crafters. It's like a cult. I want everyone to become addicted to my obsessions!
sewfumust
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009 05:37:36 PM »

Thanks a heap!  You've done a very thorough job which was obviously a lot of work.  It was super of you to share and so quickly at that.  I like the dropped zip in the centre, as it allows the strap to be sewn inside at the sides easily. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jatoha
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009 06:37:19 PM »

Thanks for the great tute!  I am so bookmarking this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

njfish
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009 09:20:54 PM »

Wonderful....thank you for taking the time to write up your tute.  I've been looking to make one of these!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009 07:11:02 AM »

Cute bags, thank you so much for the detailed tute! I love lots of pictures, it really helps me understand everything. Fabulous bags and tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hair Toner with Household Products
Meet Celebrity Hairstylist Serge Normant
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
How to Change a Bad Hair Day Into a Good Hair Day
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...