A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding hair styles?  (Read 52527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Farnsworth
« on: March 29, 2009 03:36:40 PM »

Well my wedding is in a little over three months and I only just started trying out different hair styles. School has kept me a bit busy, one could say.
Anyways, normally I have straight hair but I want to curl it and put it up for the wedding. I don't plan on wearing a veil for a couple practical reasons, but I would like to have flowers in my hair.

I tried putting it up:

front!

back. (If I did go with this style, I would probably have someone else pinning my hair, thus it wouldn't look so messy)

Side view, making strange faces at the lamp.

My mom suggested that I try my hair half-down, so I did.

I don't have a front picture of this.

I liked the look, but my concern would be that this is an outdoor wedding in July, and I would be worried that maybe loose hair would lose its curl and perhaps get sweaty. Also it seems like flowers would be more difficult to pin in hair that is half down.
I will doubtlessly try more styles, but does anyone have opinions on the up verses half-down? I know I don't want all of my hair to be loose because that will be really warm and might look a bit odd.
Thanks for your opinions Smiley

Edit: tried a couple more, with fake flowers!

back of hair

side view. I will not be wearing my glasses, hopefully the optometrist will have received my contacts in 3 months!

updo version of the same thing. Wouldn't be a hard switch to do this one for the reception.

I am not normally a redhead by the way. The lighting in my bathroom is not the best.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009 01:25:31 AM by Farnsworth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
sunnydays914
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009 04:03:36 PM »

A few thoughts for you:

I wore my hair half down for my wedding and it worked really well but I got married in May, which is much cooler in most places. We curled my whole head and pinned the curls on the sides up. I wore a veil but you could also pin in flowers where the side curls are pinned. The flowers, especially if they are larger, heavier flowers, will just need someplace to anchor that isn't straight hair, unless they were held in with really strong clips (stronger than bobby pins).

I really love the front though and hope you keep that the same!

Basically, if you are going to be uncomfortable with hot hair on your neck all day, then you should put it up. Both styles suit your face shape so you really can't go wrong!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009 04:18:55 PM »

I love the look of the half-down, but I agree that you need to be comfortable.  Also; let's face it, you want to wear it that day for your man.  You never have to do that again, but that day, you want him to think you look perfect according to his definition of perfect (just my opinion).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Farnsworth
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009 06:00:53 PM »

I love the look of the half-down, but I agree that you need to be comfortable.  Also; let's face it, you want to wear it that day for your man.  You never have to do that again, but that day, you want him to think you look perfect according to his definition of perfect (just my opinion).

Hmm, that is a good way to think about the hair conundrum. My man likes long hair a lot, so I think he'd probably like the half-down look. And I don't think it will get too hot if it is only half of my hair.
Thanks for the opinion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
Farnsworth
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009 06:29:17 PM »

I really love the front though and hope you keep that the same!

Basically, if you are going to be uncomfortable with hot hair on your neck all day, then you should put it up. Both styles suit your face shape so you really can't go wrong!

Well, that gives me a lot of things to experiment with, so thanks for your input Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009 10:01:48 PM »

I agree with the PP that you have a face shape that would be suited to a variety of styles.

In general, I think hair up looks more festive, although I think half up, half down has a lovely flowing look that suits many women.

Do you have a photo of your dress?  Is your wedding casual, semi-formal, formal?  What is your venue?

Regarding heat and your comfort, yes, weather is a factor.  But remember that even many lighter, casual wedding dresses are heavier and longer than street clothes, you'll be dancing, and probably stressed.  Take that into account.

Check out tutorials on YouTube for different hairstyles.

Also, if you're going to be pinning your hair up, use one of these as a base.  Use bobby pins to secure the donut to your head.  Pin curls to the donut, covering it completely.  Hair donuts are used pretty frequently to add volume.

GL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heyitzme37
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009 07:52:04 AM »

Congrats on your wedding!  I'm getting married in July also but I have the opposite problem with a hair style.  My hair is short and straight.  I've been growing out all the layers for several months now but I have no idea what to do with it past tucking it behind my ears and maybe adding some fancy clips or a flower. 

For a summer wedding I like your hair up.  You would be much cooler and it looks really pretty that way especially adding in flowers.  My daughter has hair like yours and it's natuarlly curly.  She is going to go to her hairstylist to get hers done because I have no clue how to put her hair up past a ponytail.  She is going to be my maid of honor.

Good luck with your sytle.  It will be beautiful any way you do it.

Because I like to share below is a picture of my daughter and I in our dresses.  Minus all the finishing touches like shoes, jewelry, make up etc.  Please excuse the dark picture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Farnsworth
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009 05:33:30 PM »

Do you have a photo of your dress?  Is your wedding casual, semi-formal, formal?  What is your venue?

Check out tutorials on YouTube for different hairstyles.

Also, if you're going to be pinning your hair up, use one of these as a base.  Use bobby pins to secure the donut to your head.  Pin curls to the donut, covering it completely.  Hair donuts are used pretty frequently to add volume.

GL!

I always wondered how people with shorter hair than me managed to have voluminous updos and mine usually aren't. lol, there's a lot about doing hair I don't know, I admit.
I will also have to check out some youtube tutorials.

This is my dress...

I no longer have the orange in my hair alas, but you get the idea.

We'll be changing into these Moroccan clothes for the reception, which is going to definitely be warm, but fun. My fiance lived in Morocco for several years, and my soon-to-be in-laws still live there, so I thought it would be a fun way to incorporate something that is important to him into our wedding.
This fact may mean two different hair styles, now that I am thinking about it. :/

and we're getting married on his grandparents' farm, because you can't argue with free Smiley

Congrats on your wedding!  I'm getting married in July also but I have the opposite problem with a hair style.  My hair is short and straight.  I've been growing out all the layers for several months now but I have no idea what to do with it past tucking it behind my ears and maybe adding some fancy clips or a flower. 

For a summer wedding I like your hair up.  You would be much cooler and it looks really pretty that way especially adding in flowers. 

Your hair looks really cute with the style of dress you've chosen though Smiley I think small flowers might look really nice in your hair.

I think what will help me make a more final decision would be if I actually try both hairstyles with the flwoers and with the actual dress.

Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009 08:30:07 PM »

I got married in August and I had hair half up. I loved it and dont remember being that hot. Biggest thing is know your hair if you loose curl easily then wear it up. You could also wear it half up for the ceramony and then pin the bottom up for the reception. A slightly diff look for the party. And I would have someone else pin the curls they can see things you cant. I had a friend do my hair and I had to wash it twice to get out the hairspray and curls but totally worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Melazdee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009 10:06:24 PM »

for me, I would wear my hair up. However, sounds like your FH likes your long hair and I think maybe half up would be a good compromise. as for the flowers thing, I like it..here's what i found:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you love it, its perfect"

http://www.etsy.com/shop/melazdee
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Studio Portrait
How to Set up a File Structure for your Images
How to Use Lighting in a Studio
How to Create an Equipment Check List
How to Photograph a Landscape Architecture Image
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...