A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AIO Cloth Diaper- Trial Attempt, Advice Please?  (Read 1359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elizabethsmommy
« on: March 29, 2009 03:28:04 PM »

So,  I had my almost three year old test fit the trial pair of AIO cloth diapers I made. I used the tutorial at http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/images/Wee%20Weka%20SML%20Fitted%20SM%20Pocket.pdf.

It definately appears that this pattern can be used from infant up until 2 years old. Fortunately my daughter who weighs about 33lbs in potty trained for the most part and doesn't use diapers anymore, but her sister who is due in June will and I'm ready to try cloth diapers. (We used training pants with my 3yr old and I liked that).

I want to make both the AIO and the Pocket Diaper (which you can do with this one pattern). However, I have a few questions for those who use or who have made cloth diapers.

1. Should I top stitch around the entire diaper?

In this test diaper I used nylon ripstop fabric for what will be the PUL layer and then I used fleece for the soaker pad and the inner lining.

2. What is the best type of fabric to use for the soaker fabric and the inner lining? Should they be different?

3. Would it be better to make a fold-out soaker than a sew-in soaker pad?

4. Should the back of the pattern, where it meets around the back, have elastic as well so that on the smaller size I get a better fit?

5. Also, on the leg elastic should I sew it directly onto the fabric or should I make a pocket and attach it at each end?

Thanks for all your help in advance. I will be making the real thing soon, and I plan on using snaps instead of elastic.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009 03:54:50 PM by elizabethsmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009 03:52:41 PM »

lloks nice.

keep back elastic.  will hold in poop explosions.

rip stop will actually work as waterproof barrier but is likely to have compression leaks.  a small spray of waterproofing spray will help - find that in camping aisle.

hth.

nice job!

bettyann
mommy to 3 in dipes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
BossyLibraryLady
Resident Gorgon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009 05:11:56 PM »

Looking good! Grin I wish my first home-made nappy had turned out that well...

1. Should I top stitch around the entire diaper?

Nah. It's not really necessary and can cause leakage.

2. What is the best type of fabric to use for the soaker fabric and the inner lining? Should they be different?

For the soaker, I recommend hemp or bamboo; they're much more absorbent than cotton and have natural anti-bacterial properties; if you want a bit of extra absorbency without too much bulk, add a layer of microfibre; on its own it's prone to compression leaks, but paired with a natural fibre it's fantastic. The lining needs to be made out of something non-absorbent like microfleece or suedecloth; this allows the moisture to pass through to the absorbent layers whilst keeping bub reasonably dry.

3. Would it be better to make a fold-out soaker than a sew-in soaker pad?

If drying time is an issue, then yes. I have always preferred pockets to AIOs because you can pull the stuffing out and the outer will dry in an insanely short period of time (at least if you're in Australia and it's the middle of Summer, lol!)

4. Should the back of the pattern, where it meets around the back, have elastic as well so that on the smaller size I get a better fit?

Elastic at the back is very, very good at reducing blow-outs. Ever used cheap disposables that aren't gathered at the back? It isn't pretty. 

5. Also, on the leg elastic should I sew it directly onto the fabric or should I make a pocket and attach it at each end?

I sewed the elastic directly to the seam allowance rather than the body of the nappy (if that makes sense). It gives a good fit while being gentle on bub's skin. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is like the herpes of craft supplies. Once it's on you, prepare to have it on you FOREVER." -Demetri Martin
AbbyRose
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009 08:05:41 PM »

/\
|
|
Ya, what she said Smiley

Just a couple tips from experience: It is very important to use 100% polyester thread on all aio's or pocket diapers. And I've heard that putting the diapers in the dryer before first use help to tighten up the holes caused by stitching.

Very good job for your first diaper Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreatio ns.ca
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009 12:06:25 PM »

Hi,

I am brand new to Crafster.  (First post -- I actually registered just so I could respond to your question!)

I wanted to let you know the very very best resource for all diaper sewing questions is Diaper Sewing Divas.  Here's a link: http://diaperdivas.proboards.com/index.cgi?  You have to register as a user to access the boards, but it is well worth it.  I was quite active over there for a long time, but now that DS is nearing potty training, I haven't really been going there much.  Any question you can imagine, the divas can help you with.

With cloth diapers, everyone has different preferences, so it can get confusing.  10 people will give you 10 different answers, so it takes trial and error to find your preferences.

For me, I probably wouldn't use rip-stop as an outer.  I think you'll get a lock of moisture wicking out with that, even with the waterproof spray.  Nylon isn't really meant to go in the dryer, and most folks like the option of machine drying their dipes as opposed to always hanging them out.  A lot of folks use PUL for all-in-one pockets.  I use polar fleece as an outer lot, and you can still get compression wicking with that, but it's really breathable and nice for summer.  We tend to use PUL covers (proraps) with separate cloth diapers underneath.  You also might want to make some with a stay-dry inner, such as suedecloth or crushed panne velour, but others with a natural inner, like cotton or bamboo, since some babes are sensitive to one or the other.  My absolute favorite material to use for the absorbant soaker is cotton birdseye -- SUPER trim and absorbant.

Anyway, long-winded response, but my main point was to put you in touch with the Diaper Sewing Divas board -- I found it to be a HUGE help when I first started sewing dipes.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009 12:09:29 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizabethsmommy
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009 08:20:27 AM »

WOW! Thank you to all who responded. Your input was very much appreciatd and needed I hope that the hemp and bamboo is something I can buy at the local fabric store. I had to buy the PUL online, but I got a gift card I want to use! Smiley I'm so excited to sew my first pair, my first REAL pair and start using them. I am so grateful to this site and to you fellow craftsters- without you this wouldn't be possible! Smiley Best wishes, Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009 12:40:05 PM »

Just wanted to add, you'll want to use the link I provided to Diaper Sewing Divas.  If you try to Google "diaper sewing divas" you might wind up finding some very disturbing adult diaper fetish sites.  Ask me how I know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dcsharpe
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009 05:32:21 PM »

I second DSD! It is an invaluable resource of mommas who love to help. I learned soooo much there that I was able to teach others about all I had learned. It is a forum just like craftster only it is all about diapers Smiley Have fun!
Donna S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fall Trends For 2009
Swimsuit Confidence With the Curvy Girls
Choosing the Perfect Dress For Your Body
How to Liven Up Outfits With Jewelry
Creating a Unique Look by Mixing Skirts and Tops
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...