A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FINALLY! Super Mario Obsession  (Read 120803 times)
Tags for this thread: blanket , mario , nintendo , featured_project , video_game , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gege
« on: March 28, 2009 02:30:37 PM »

I haven't posted in a while due to this humongous project. But, I have finally finished crocheting each and every panel of my Mario Blanket. They are all crocheted together. All that is left is crocheting a border around it. However, I have been working my buns off on this thing and I don't know when I'll finish the border. I'm so freaking excited to have it "done" that I'm going to be unveiling it.........NOW!

Here it is, in all of its technicolor glory:

It's so huge, I had to lay it out in my foyer and go upstairs to get a photo. Here's a pic of my birthday boy stretched out on it for a size perspective. My honey is 6'2".

Ok- I ain't even going to lie....this is my hands-down all-time favorite of all the panels. I dreamed about making this panel since the very beginning. It came out just as I imagined! I am so incredibly proud of it! It's HUGE! It's 3 panels wide and 2 tall- roughly about 4' x 3'. It can be a wall hanging- something I've been debating about doing. I wanted to keep this one all by itself b/c it's so awesome. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!!

This blanket/bed spread has been a real obsession of mine for a very long time. I had just taught myself how to crochet and decided to make a Mario granny square blanket for my brother- this was over a year and a half ago. My husband saw it and wanted one of his own. However, I could not let my husband have the same blanket I made my brother....oh no, my friends. His had to be so much....MORE. I woke up in the middle of the night and had the beginnings of the blanket in my head. I scribbled out a rough draft of a map and was so giddy, I had a hard time falling asleep. I had never used Tunisian crochet before, so I had to practice.

Long story short, a little a year and a half later, but with crocheting in earnest for 2 months, I've finally completed my SMB obsession.  I LOVE it and am soooo proud of it!

Thanks for looking!

ETA:  I responded this in #84.

Thank you guys soooo much for the amazing positive feedback on my work!!!!

To answer a few questions:

There is no pattern that I followed. I searched the internet for screen shots of SMB and then used them for the map I had in my head. There is no "master graph" for any of the panels, much less for the entire project. I have absolutely no intention of creating a graph of my entire work; however, there may be a time when I decide to make a graph of a panel or two.....dunno when/if that will happen, though..... I seriously need a break from this.  Smiley

The reason the images came out so crisp and accurate is because I used Tunisian crochet- the stitches are more or less square and there is no turning of the work so there is only the "right side" when you are working.

The back is not even close to being finished.... Smiley  I'm definitely NOT weaving in all the ends....I'm going to tie them into square knots and trim them and then sew a king sized sheet (if it's large enough...) as a backing.  My hubby has offered to help me with all the tying....he knows how lucky he is!!!!  Especially after reading some of your hilarious responses!!  Men seem to really appreciate this work.  Wow- a crochet blanket a man actually wants made for him!  I think that's one of the things I'm most proud of- to show so many people that crochet isn't some old timer's way of passing time for just making doilies.  It can be, and is indeed, ART.

As for the yarn I used- it's mainly RHSS....some Vanna's Choice and the skin is a peach Caron Simply Soft....but mainly RHSS.  They had the best colors!!! And, considering the amount of yarn that went into this baby, it was the most economically prudent yarn to use. Smiley

I have the entire story, including individual shots of each and every panel and the story behind them, on my blog:

Part one: http://gegecrochet.blogspot.com/2009/03/mario-party-part-1.html
Part two: http://gegecrochet.blogspot.com/2009/03/mario-party-part-2-my-quest.html
Part three: http://gegecrochet.blogspot.com/2009/03/mario-party-part-3-my-quest-ends.html
FAQ: http://gegecrochet.blogspot.com/2009/04/mario-follow-up.html

I am so amazed at the response this has gotten- it was just an obsession of mine...I seriously felt like Isaac from "Heroes" (or any other "future painters") when he got an artistic impulse....my eyes glazed over and I worked and worked on it until it was done. There was no "patience" involved- just a lot of impatience until I finally finished it!!

Thank you all again!!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009 08:16:49 PM by Gege » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bexster
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009 02:37:18 PM »

wow! thats so amazing and I love the storey behind it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovesnails

Slugs are just homeless snails.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009 02:41:12 PM »

That looks great!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Automaton J.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009 02:41:57 PM »

THAT IS SO FREAKING COOL. And gigantic. And I love it so much. You should be so proud! Just to have the patience to finish all of it, oy vey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goofygoobers147
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009 02:43:07 PM »

OMFG! this is incredible ! Did you have a pattern or did you just do free hand crocheting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
randomheartsx
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009 02:43:49 PM »

that is absolutely incredible. you did an amazing job on it. you deserve to be super proud of it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009 02:58:08 PM »

Holy crap.  I thought this was a quilt at first but I can't believe it's crochet!!!! This rocks so hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009 03:04:36 PM »

Unbelievable....cra zy....amazing...wow !!!!
What a huge project and what an amazing job you did! I had no idea you could make such precise images with crochet. I'm totally inspired to go bigger than I ever have with crochet. Thanks for sharing this masterpiece!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009 03:12:34 PM »

mr. rira just grabbed the computer to show his friend and turned around to say "im admiring what real love looks like"

i should beat him  Wink

it is a BEYOND amazing blanket btw
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009 03:16:18 PM »

Holy cow!  This is amazing.  My brother would freak out if I could ever do anything like this for him, but I do not have the patience for big projects.  That's insane...in a good way.

This totally rocks.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint - Motion 3
How to Create a Burning Effect - Motion 3
How to Use The Color Corrector - Final Cut Pro
How to Use Supreme Tracking - Final Cut Pro
How to Get Smooth Cam Results - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...