A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1960's homemade beauty ideas?  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009 10:41:33 AM »

Anyone have beauty recipes from the 1960's?Like lip balm,face masks,lotions.etc?Any help would be appreciated,Thanks  Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009 04:34:32 PM »

Not that I was around then or anything, but from period movies and stuff, I'd think the 60's was the heyday of the Avon lady . . . unless you're looking for something that's more "flower child" inspired . . . in which case, it was pretty much, no or low make up, longish hair on everyone, etc.  Maybe mud masks and anything that smells like pachouli?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009 06:08:25 AM »

According to my stepmother, who was a teenager in the '50's, the rage back then was rinsing your hair with things from the kitchen...lemon juice if you were blonde, and apple cider vinegar if you had darker hair.  Beer if you were "daring" enough.   Shocked

She and her sisters also took Cleopatra-style milk baths when they could sneak the milk.

There were a few other things she used to talk about which I don't recall too clearly, but I will say this (as I remember the vague horror at times), check whatever recipes you find against contemporary knowledge about chemicals, and long-term reactions.  There was a time when it was fashionable to buff arsenic into your face--not that that was the '60's, but we certainly learn by leaps and bounds, when it comes to beauty treatments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009 12:34:30 PM »

There was a time when it was fashionable to buff arsenic into your face--not that that was the '60's, but we certainly learn by leaps and bounds, when it comes to beauty treatments.

Actually, funnily enough, the 60's was about the time that was the done thing. I'm talking about the 1660's, of course, but it's all much of a muchness :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
anti-emily
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009 06:31:47 PM »

ok, something that i, my mom and all my grandmothers swear by is mayo as a hair mask. (real mayo, not miracle whip) it sounds icky and it smells icky but for dry hair, there really isn't anything better. it's got the protein and the fat and it's cheap!

if you have never tried it, i totally recomend it! just coat ur warm, wet, clean hair with it thinly and wrap in a towel to keep it warm. leave in for however long (5-30min, i'd guess) and wash out. may take 2 washes. but it's sooo great!

again, this is really for dry dry dry hair. chemically treated, dyed, etc. or just for the ends of really long hair that has damage issues at the tips.

toothpaste on a zit is a pretty old remedy.

my mom told me that when she was a teenager (in the 60's) her mom wouldn't allow her and my aunt to bathe during their period. they would take sponge baths, but apparently nana held the belief that bathing during ur period was BAD for you.

anyone else ever heard of this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy.com
Alatarial
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009 08:32:36 PM »

I've totally heard about bathing on your period being bad!

I spent about 2 years in Honduras, and lived with a 98 year-old woman for about six months. She firmly believed that if you bathed while on your period, the water would somehow get into your pores and thin your blood, and ultimately lead to anemia. There was also a strict no dairy, no rice, no eggs, no mango diet.

As for a remedy, she would use rice water (the water left over from when you wash rice) to rinse her face off. Said it kept it oil-free and smooth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
nmcmillen2006
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009 09:38:46 AM »

When I was younger I did use mayo in my hair. My mom made my sister and I do this once a week and our hair was nice and shiney. She did this when she was young also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009 10:09:26 AM »

dont do mayo if your hair is oily by nature.....bad results Sad

my mom (ugh) used to use beer, but her hair always looked awful, so i dont know if it actually helped

i think its better to find out they different things that apply to YOUR hair or skin, and then figure out how to make it for yourself (the 60s had lots of beauty ideas, but so did the 80's and so did the 90s and we learn things every year about what actually turns out to be bad for you/inneffective)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
nmcmillen2006
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009 06:38:47 AM »

Ur right on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 3/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 14/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 2/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 15/15
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...