A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's strip! the swap with a twist  (Read 11671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2009 03:26:59 AM »

GALLERY IS HERE

Name of swap : Let's strip! the swap with a twist

Craftster member who is organizing this swap: GothChics
Sign-up date range: 03/28/09 to 11:59pm on 04/05/09
Date to send item by: 05/01/09

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional):
5 groups of 5 (total of 25)

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No

Age requirement? 13+ per craftster guidelines

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 13 years old: YES
- Participant lives in the United States: YES
   - If yes, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
   - If no, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

Details of the swap
Link to original discussion thread for this swap:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=297147.0

We all have our own idea of how fabrics should go together, the purpose of this swap is to get us to experiment with fabrics that other people love and to coordinate them together with the others we receive to make a quilt that we can love and enjoy.  Shipping should be able to be handled in padded mailers. You can do the same fabric for each set of strips or different ones, the arrangement and fabric choices are up to you!

We are not making quilt blocks but stripped sections of fabrics that the recipient will use to make their own quilt from.

You will be making 5 sets of strips (at least 4 different fabrics in the sections)  Fabrics are of your choice.  Stripped sections should be 12.5" wide and approximately 44/45" wide when completed.  Fabrics must be prewashed and 100% quilting weight cotton!  We all need to follow this so that we get sets that are usable for everyone. You are highly encouraged (but not required) to search out locally owned fabric shops and to support local businesses for this swap.

You will be sending 1 set of strips to 5 different people and in return will receive 5 sets of strips back from 5 different people.  If you have successfully completed at least 10 swaps in the past and would like to be signed up to be in 2 groups you can, all other swappers are limited to 1 entry into the swap.

You can be a pleaser (if you're wanting to meet someone else's tastes) or a teaser and send whatever your heart desires (I think that's part of the fun of the challenge making things work together that you'd not necessarily pick out yourself)

Feedback
feedback will be left when all the strips you've sent out arrive to their destinations

The Twist
Participation in finishing a piece with your strips is OPTIONAL, but asking all participants to send a FQ to the winner as that is part of the fun for those that are diving in full head on. 

To encourage completion of a top from the strips you receive, we will have a mini contest, starting after the last set of strips is received, we will have 4 weeks to post a photo of a finished top then we will vote amongst ourselves and the winner will receive a fat quarter from each participant in the swap.  It will be awesome to see how we can use our creativity to use the pieces provided by someone else to make a quilt top. 

You will be allowed to use 1 other fabric in your quilt for sashes.   and one for the bindings

each participant will send 1 fat quarter of fabric to the winner of the contest  (can be sent in a plain legal size envelope quite cheaply) (if you've signed up for 2 spots you will send 2 fat quarters)

Info you might find helpful:
The info below is from my own personal experience it may vary but it is something to keep in consideration Smiley
Essentially you will be using 2 yards of fabric to complete this swap. 

From personal experience it is approximately 2 hours of time commitment to complete 5 sets of strips in a 12.5" width.

Shipping should be able to be handled in padded mailers, and from prior experience if you ship via first class in a padded mailer, even to international shipping shouldn't be more than $3 or $4, in the US shipping would be around $2-$3, in all shipping for this swap shouldn't be more than $18 for any one person.  (I've weighed a number of different stripped sections I have here and avg for 12.5" section is 3 ounces, a padded 6x9 inch mailer weighs around 1 ounce) 

You will also be sending 1 fat quarter to me these will be collected and used as a prize for making a completed quilt top from the strips that we each receive. A fat quarter can be mailed inside the US for the price of a stamp and a 2nd ounce stamp (like 87c total if I remember right the rates change to frequently for me to know if my scale chart is spot on lol)

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap Let's Strip! The Swap with a twist
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country (formatted as it should be for shipment!)
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Confirm that are at least 13 years old (yes/no)
Confirm that you have read the swap idea:
Confirm that you know you will be shipping to 5 different people?
Are you signing up for 1 spot or 2?
if signing up for 2 spots please check and ensure you've done 10 swaps successfully in the past?
Any Allergies?

Any Allergens?

Anything you would like your partners to know? (eg prints you absolutely hate, colors you despise etc..)

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO gothchics VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 12:54:41 AM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009 03:29:58 AM »

Approved Participants
* denotes in for two
1. GothChics *
2. MareMare *
3. RhymeswOrange
4. CraftyMcCrafterson
5. Linnybelle * (huge thank you!)
6. Mamaphunk
7. mlookyloo1* (huge thank you!)
8. klum78
9.*
10.*
11. TracyInNH
12.rectangel
13. Homerof2
14. SandyBradley
15. Mlheran* huge thank you!)

You are all so awesome, thank you for being so patient while I put together the lists (email to follow real shortly!)

GROUP 1

gothchics
maremare
mlookyloo1
linnybelle
sandybradley
klum78
GROUP 2

gothchics
mlhean
mlookyloo1
homerof2
rhymesworange
tracyinNH
GROUP 3

maremare
mlheran
linnybelle
rectangel
mamaphunk
craftsyMccrafterson
[/b]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009 11:34:18 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009 03:02:44 PM »

I just sent my questionnaire! I think this swap would be just too fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
mlookyloo1
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009 03:24:30 PM »

I think this will be fun to do  Smiley I'am a little confused do we sent 5 strips to each person  Huh I know that they are to be 12.5  and are they to be 44/45 long Huh I'am new at doing quilt so I would love to do this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barbara Jean<br /><br />My Flickr<br />My Wist
RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009 03:38:20 PM »

mlookyloo1- cut strips across the width of the 44/45" quilt fabric. any widths.  Stitch any number different strips together to total 12.5"

Do this 5 times, keep one then ship the other 4 to your partners.

GothChics has photos in the original discussion. here:
Details of the swap
Link to original discussion thread for this swap:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=297147.0

You should totally join.  You don't have to be an expert quilter to have fun with this swap.

I sent in my questionnaire!  I'm off to check my stash and compile my quilt shopping list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
mlookyloo1
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009 03:46:59 PM »

I'am soooooooooo confused  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlookyloo1
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009 04:03:50 PM »

I would love to see what one strip looks like Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009 04:08:44 PM »

maybe I can help Smiley

if you did 4 strips each (before you sew them together) would need to be 3.5" wide to equal 12.5",

if you did 6 strips each would be 2.5" wide before sewing them together to equal 12.5"

you wouldn't have to do all strips the same width like you could do the following with 5 different fabrics and it'd equal 12.5" wide too:

1.5" of fabric one, 2.5" of fabric two, 2.5" of fabric three, 3.5" of fabric four, 4.5"  of fabric five

fabrics come in 44/45" width (which becomes the length after sewn)

The 12.5" width factors in 1/4" seam allowances on each side to make a finished section (after sewn into a quilt top) of 12 inches.

You could use any number of fabrics for this project but 4 is the minimum.  Here is a simple math equation that explains how to divide strips out evenly by the fabrics you're using and an explination of the equation follows (I am a huge math nerd lol)

We start with the finished measurements

12 divided by X number of fabrics = width of finished each strip to equal 12

we'll pretend that we're using 8 fabrics here so in the equation above X=8

12 divided by 8 fabrics = 1.5" each

We then add 1/2" to each strip section for the seam allowances

1.5" + .5" = 2"  

so to use 8 fabrics and have it equal 12.5" in the stripped section you would cut 8 - 2" strips

if I'm too confusing (which I have been known to be Sad ) maybe someone else can put it simpler lol

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009 04:18:43 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlookyloo1
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009 05:48:54 PM »

thank you  Smiley I think I will gave this a try Shocked going to sent my questionnaire in  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009 08:11:08 AM »

I said I wasn't going to do any more swaps, but then this one came up and I just couldn't resist.  What a fun idea!  I sent in my questionnaire.  Hope I get in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hiding Under Eye Circles
Make Your Short Nails Look Longer
Product Round Up: The Best Picks For Hairspray
The Right Way to Wash Your Face For Clear, Glowing Skin
How To Do Feline Flicks With Binky
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...