A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Prayer for the Just Born (Lots of Super Pictures!)  (Read 2149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009 06:48:52 AM »

Please, please, please don't anyone get upset by this reply...

There were a few things that occurred to me when reading the reply by sabriner

We don't know what Mary looked like. For all we know she could have had a beard... or warts or a facial deformity. I'm fairly certain she certainly wasn't a blue eyed blond gal. Really, her appearance doesn't matter one bit, it's her faith and trust that makes her special.

The other thing that sort of got to me was "she is God's MOST beautiful creation". I kind of disagree with this because God made wo/man in his own image. This puts us all on equal footing. A priest or a harlot is no better or worse than I am. We are all human, we are all equal. It's our actions, our choices, that matter. If you believe that when we die we return to the Lord then you also believe that it is up to him to decide our value. It isn't up to us to pass judgement on each other.

I suppose when I see this work and see that it's cause a bit of a kerfuffle I think of the stories of Jesus and his forgiveness of prostitutes. Matthew 21:31 '... "I assure you, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do." Why? Because of their faith and inner goodness, not because of what they did for a living or how they appeared on the outside.

I was raised Catholic but I no longer follow that path. Although I identify as pagan now, I still hold a special place for Mary. I don't know. I guess it's just that I don't see changing the appearance of Mary as changing the meaning of her. Mary is a great icon for women... a strong mother figure with unmovable faith. What does it matter if she's wearing fishnets and has a beard? For me this piece sort of reiterates that. The fact that it is fun to look at is a bonus  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Multiple Exposures in Macro Photography
Using the Right Lens For a Close-Up
Using Artificial Light in Nighttime Photography
Indoors Light Painting
Giving Al Sharpton a Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...