A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my very first quilt  (Read 697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mnmcoffee
« on: March 27, 2009 10:24:48 AM »

a friend of mine from work is getting married in may, and i wanted to do something special for her and her soon to be hubby.. so i sat down and thought about making a quilt. i was really intimidated by the entire process.. but after thinking it through and talking to my mom, i decided to go with it. my mom helped me pick out a pattern, some fabric.. and helped me do a lot of the cutting.. which i'm very, very thankful for. i think thats my least favorite part. i wasn't sure how long it would take me, so i chose the 'easy' way out by not doing a real binding, but by putting the layers together, and sewing around the edges, and flipping it so the right sides were out. i think it turned out okay, but if i had to do it again i think i would go for the labor of love of doing the hand binding. also instead of quilting it, and instead of the traditional tieing, i sewed on buttons. lots and lots of buttons. 27 of them. haha. i got so excited that i finally finished it that i gave it to her last night. she loved it! on to the pictures.

her favorite color is teal. i tried to make it not so girly so the hubby can enjoy it too.

here's a closeup of the fabrics-

the pattern is called Fun in the Square from a book called Quilts for Kids to Love by Kathy Wesley. i made it a bit larger than the pattern though because... well, its not for a kid. i just liked the idea of it being a good beginners quilt. it's definitely big enough to cuddle with on the couch, i just forgot to measure the final size. i learned so much from the process, and i'm pretty sure i'll be making another one sometime im the future.
thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<333
susankg53
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009 10:51:19 AM »

Nice quilt, love the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenochka
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009 11:20:21 AM »

the colors go together really nicely! I like the idea of using a button instead of just having it tied. And I'm glad your friend liked it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
archerpren
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009 11:37:31 AM »

that came out fantastic! i love the way you used the buttons too. very pretty :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Twisted Bun: An Upgrade for Mid-Length Hair
How to Get a More Textured Curly Look
How to Use a Curling Iron
How to Make Beach Hair Look Chic
Beauty Test Lab: Is This Tool the Ticket to Healthy Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...