A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pregnant? Shirts too short?? SHIRT EXTENDER **TUTORIAL**  (Read 7065 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmysIntoWishin
Live the Life you Love

Loving New Mommyhood

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 27, 2009 07:44:48 AM »

Hi.  I'm in about my 6 1/2 month of pregnancy.  I have officially surpassed most of my 'cute' t-shirts.  My belly hangs out of the bottom and it just doesn't quite work to pull my pants up further.  LOL  So, here is my solution:

I've taken an old tank top and altered it into a 'shirt extender.'

First, if you have a large embroidery hoop, or something with about a 14-15" radius we'll use that on the BACK of the TANK TOP.  Place it as high up as you can get it.  Eventually we'll cut just under the arm hole seam, so connect there.  Then draw a straight line to connect under the arm hole seam across the FRONT of the TANK TOP.

Cut it out.
BACK OF TANK TOP (front of shirt extender):

FRONT OF TANK TOP (back of shirt extender):

Next, grab a piece of elastic, I used 3/4", and measure around the top of the stomach area.  Make sure that it's tight enough to hold up and comfortable to wear.

Cut & sew your elastic.  I used 3 rows of zig zag stitch.  Zig zag allows the elastic to stretch.

Next, turn your shirt extender INSIDE OUT.  We're going to fold the top of the shirt over the elastic and sew.  DO NOT SEW THROUGH THE ELASTIC.  We're merely creating a 'pocket' for the elastic to live in.  This will allow it to stretch freely. ***(You may choose to pin the seam in this step.  I find it easier to simply work it together as I sew.)

When you get about 1/2 way around, it makes it easier to sew over the elastic if you push back the already sewn area on the elastic, so you have more elastic room to sew the remaining shirt extender.  (Sry, pics a lil dark.)  ***Also, when sewing the rounded edge you may have a few gathers that come up, sew over these, OR make a few when sewing the top center area of the rounded edge.

And, viola!  Our finished shirt extender:

As you may or may not be able to see in this pic, there is a bit of loose bunching in the top round area.  This is for the roundness of the belly.  Wink

No more cold belly! 

I did this all in about 20 mins in my pajamas last night.   Super easy and very rewarding.  I'm sure I'll make a few more of these, as the belly will be growing!

Thanks.  Congrats & good luck!   Grin

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 09:42:01 AM by angels walk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥I LIVE the Handmade Pledge!♥
FluffyVallieres
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009 08:21:43 AM »

This is such a great idea.  Even though I'm not pregnant (or have ever been pregnant) I have been cursed with a long torso.  All shirts seem to be way to short for me.  So this is perfect! I also really like the layered look.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You cant change what you dont acknowledge.
AmysIntoWishin
Live the Life you Love

Loving New Mommyhood

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009 09:45:01 AM »

Thank you.  I love the layered look, as well.  This is my first pregnancy.  I took the handmade pledge and am sticking to it, so buying clothes that I'm only going to wear for about 3-4 mos is out of the question.  I pledge to make what I need to get me to the birth!  I'm wearing it today and it's perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missapril
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009 05:20:58 PM »

I am bowing to you right now!!  I am in my 6th month also, and getting annoyed only having 4 different tops to wear!!  Your idea and tutorial are brilliant (and WAY better then paying $15 to $10 for a "belly band")

Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xoxo - April
mama and missus :: as of 7/19 and 8/15

i have a wist
AmysIntoWishin
Live the Life you Love

Loving New Mommyhood

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009 07:48:14 PM »

Thank YOU.  I was feeling that same way, hince the creation.  I'm going to make a few pairs of stretchy pants next.  LOL!

"Sometimes when you're a grown up, you like to wear stretchy pants, is for fun."  -Jack Black
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burntsmore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009 11:45:59 PM »

That's an awesome idea, but I'm with the first commenter (lol!). I had a friend who was pregnant and she told me a tip that maybe someone else could use?

To get a few more inches out of your existing pants/skirts, just loop a rubber band around the button, through the button hole, and back around the button.

Now, maybe that's common knowledge, but I had never heard it before. Thought it might be useful.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from." -Jodie Foster

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."

Flickr
Wist
AmysIntoWishin
Live the Life you Love

Loving New Mommyhood

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009 08:17:47 AM »

OMG!!! THANK YOU, thank you thank you!!  I've been wondering how I can get away with wearing them!!  Oh, you have no idea.  That is such a big help.  Thank you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Barbara Smith Talks About B. Smith Cooks Southern Style
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer
Halloween Costume Stories
Lisa Jones Talks About Broken
P.J. Bracegirdle Talks About Fiendish Deeds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...