A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 30 Trinkets for a 30 year work anniversary?  (Read 4668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

samsmartypants
« on: March 27, 2009 07:05:07 AM »

One of my coworkers is celebrating 30 years of service with our company and we'd like to give her 30 little trinkets to celebrate her time here.

Any ideas? I'm having serious brain blockage!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107374.0

"And you know that she's half crazy, but that's why you want to be there." ~Leonard Cohen~

www.myspace.com/samsmart
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009 04:16:25 PM »

Is this 30-trinket idea something you think your coworker would like?

Admittedly, you know your coworker better than I do.  After all, I'm some stranger on the Internet.  But if your coworker has worked for the company for 30 years, I estimate she is at least in her early 50s.  I'm guessing the last thing someone her age, with an established household and probably decor style (and possibly an empty nester or soon to be empty nester looking to downsize), needs is literally dozens tchotchkes.  I don't think that receiving a bunch of trinkets from coworkers is entirely professional or appropriate, either.

For reference, I'm in my 30s and if I received 10 trinkets for 10 years of service from my coworkers, I'd be polite and grateful they thought of me, but also privately dumbfounded as to why I received such a gift.

Like I said above, you know her better.  If you are convinced that this is something she would enjoy, craft away!  Things to think about:  What are her interests?  What are your crafting skills?  What does she need?  How much time do you have?  Will it be only you who is crafting, or will your other coworkers be involved, too?

The gift should be made the with the recipient in mind, and not every recipient will want a crafted gift.  Nor is it appropriate in every situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastet
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009 01:12:27 AM »

how about flowers?
I just heard about the idea to give someone roses for each birthday. Like the person is having her/ his 40th birthday, the guests are giving the person one flower per person with a special note about the person (like: this rose stands for your creativity; this rose stands for your fairness....)
You could do this with your co-worker. I am pretty sure she likes flowers (you could even do this with chocolate) and every one of you will have to say something nice about her (hopefully).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seampoints
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009 01:54:11 AM »

My mum has just retired after 40 years working in schools and when she left her job she was given a box of memories. It was so lovely. The best things we're the ones that were symbolic of specific memories of the funny or bizarre things that had happened during her time at work.

If your co-worker has a nickname or number at work you can play on that. Example/ My mum also runs a girl guides group the girls call her "sunny" One of the items in the box was a book called "100 rays of sunshine" and her co workers edited it to say 101 and put her mugshot in the back.

Goodluck X
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on the Perfect Jeans
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Vintage Yves Saint Laurent in NYC
Evelyn Lozada on Celebrity Shoe Trends
First Chance to Shop Isabel Marant for H&M
Need to Know: Two Tone Trend, Nike FuelBand, and a "Food and Wine" Roundup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...