A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday! <3 3/27/09  (Read 4521 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 26, 2009 11:31:45 PM »

Bring on the crack!

Supercoil Duet!

This pairing actually made me think of the relationship between the mother and the son in Calvin & Hobbes. On the left in the top picture we have a more polished supercoil reflective of Calvin's mom who, in my opinion, was pretty, reserved, and pleasant. Until she prepared that awful moss green mess that she seemed to always make.

This coiled yarn is approximately 8 yds and was spun from a crazy batt from handsandnotions. Colors vary from plums, greens, light blues, white, and there is also some sparkle.
Batt is made up of merino, rambo, angora, angelina, and bamboo.

The supercoil on the right, seems more wild, respectfully mirroring the personality of Calvin. It's main color is a vibrant green that is indicative of his wicked nature. The white reminds me of his classic snowmen and constantly throwing snowballs at Susie.

This yarn is approximately 3 yds and was spun from a moustacheridesyarn Mystery Spinning Batt.

Sorry that was a bit long lol.

Partly Cloudy spun from Terrabellaspun.etsy.com mini batts!
A 3.1 oz skein made of merino, wool superwash, mill ends wool, and blue sparkle. 100yds.
Thick and thin spun bulky yarn. Most areas are very defined like clouds on a summer day and sometimes the thread just barberpoles like those perfect rainy lazy knitting days!

If you don't knit, you must aquit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009 05:06:42 AM »

I had a very productive day. Ask if you have questions <3

I USED TO BE 007lucious_lips!!!!! I MOVED!

If you're happy and you know it say a swear; Boobs, Hiney, MITTENS!
Check out the blog for my photography and crafts...and don't forget silly high school drama

Ribbit Ribbit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009 06:26:54 AM »

whisp3rd - I love the supercoil yarn!

Its been awhile since I have had something to contribute.... or been able to remember to contribute.

This is a little different for me but I am very proud of it. Its rambouillet with mohair locks plied in between.  Grin

Hmmm.... what to make today????

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009 06:35:10 AM »

Great stuff so far this week Smiley  I only have one to share as I'm workin my way thru 8 oz of this fiber and I'm slow Wink 

The fiber is Louet Karaoke Playful and I'm spinning it thick and thin and plying it with wooly nylon thread for a boucle.  When it's all done, it should be enough for a nice sized shawl Smiley

The mannequin thinks it's yummy Wink

Blog :  http://photographybylaurapearce.blogspot.com/

Flickr:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/lpphotography/

Twitter:  laurapearce22

I'm always up for trades and swaps, check out my trade page on Ravelry
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009 06:49:37 AM »

great yarns.
when oh when will i spin like that   Smiley

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009 06:53:48 AM »

Beautiful stuff, everybody!

I'll be stuck with white 3-ply for quite a while but theboythatspins, those batts look so yummy (especially the blue with purple bits) I'm really tempted to abandon the white wool... whisp3rd, the coils are great, but I like the "Partly Cloud" too, it looks so soft!

Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009 07:05:03 AM »

these are beautiful!  I haven't touched my wheel since the beginning of march.   Cry  traveling, then sick, then had to do swap items. gah!  I quit swaps for now, well except the birthday one in april.  anyway  These yarns are gorgeous!!!!
 Laura, that last pic is exactly what I feel about your yarn,  Looks edible!
 Froggy I love the color and the fluffyness!
 Theboythatspins,  thats all sooooooo beautiful!  Love the green batts
 Whisp3rd  Partly cloudy looks delicious.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009 07:23:29 AM »

Pretty fibers so far.

I finished a couple of yarns this week, but only seem to have pictures of one of them.

This one is called Leatherbound

It's a "faux cashmere" plied with gold thread, and came to around 180 yards.

about me
my wists
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009 07:35:58 AM »

Just the one this week:

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009 08:25:10 AM »

I love Leatherbound!  And so did the manface... he wants me to get some. ^.^

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009 10:52:59 AM »

Happy Fiber Friday!!! Lots to share this week as we had a spinning retreat last weekend!!!

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! Merino dyed by PoppyFlowerFibers on etsy. Approx 130 yards 2-ply

Blue Martini with a Lime Twist - Corespun from my own batts, here's a before and after!

Daisy Days - SW Merino dyed by me plied with a cotton-silk vintage yarn. 36 yards with lots of coils Plus 5 yards of supercoils!

Batik - SW Merino, Sari Silk, and Firestar from my own batts. 38 yards, sinlge ply, bulky

Supernova - Supercoiled around metallic lurex yarn Hand Dyed merino and firestar from my own batts! 21 yards, extreme thick and thin (I had a hard time fitting the coils through my Lendrum jumbo bobbin orifice!)

Retreat from the Ordinary - 2 ply of SW Merino and some of my 'Happy Scrappy' batts, 50 yards, bulky

AllSpunUp from etsy Spin-A-Long, 8oz, BFL, Navajo Plied, EXTRA Bulky!

And 2 bobbin clearing skeins, the left is Shetland the right is Huh

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009 10:56:19 AM »

great yarns, pmpknpunk.  I really love Batik and Supernova.

about me
my wists
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009 11:05:42 AM »

Daiiiiiiiiiiiisy Daaaaaaaaaaaaays!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3 <3 x 582390850325

I don't know what it is about the yarn but I'm in deep deep love!

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009 12:28:22 PM »

Pmpknpunk - Those colors are fantastic in Happy Happy, Joy Joy! Personally, I think when color is cranked up like that, singles and 2-plies are my technique of choice to show off the color.
Your corespun is to die for and Supernova is like color on crack!

FroggyFibers - Thank you! Your yarn looks so fantastically squishy and I love the extra furry bits!

Laura22 - Loving the photography, it fun just like how the yarn looks.

Belladune - Thank you! And get back to spinnin! We wanna see your goodie! Cheesy

Inlerah - Leatherbound looks so great! The gold has such a nice contrast :O

That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009 01:31:19 PM »

Omnomnom...finally I'm done spinning this:

"Planet Earth" 4oz Falkland Top, 128 yards, Andean plied. Not 100% even, but roughly worsted weight. I love this sooooo much, just looking at it makes me thirsty lol. I think I'm going to make a Quant or a Buttercup Beret, don't know yet!

Spinning during art class...note the unintentional INSANE COLOR COORDINATION. I am like a color-matching lizard. WHICH IS ALSO AMAZING because my name is Liz. Hot dog. Tongue

"Heard It Through The Grapevine" 4oz Falkland Top, dyed with neon food coloring! I haven't decided how to spin this yet.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009 07:22:47 PM by oddacity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
easily distracted

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009 04:24:06 PM »

oh such yummy yarns! I love seeing carded batts and before and after pictures!

Sadly I have only two new yarns to show:

Urban Chic.....two ply merino.

Tequila Sunrise, two ply superwash that will soon be socks for me.

please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009 04:41:11 PM »

Daisy Days makes me think of a bowl of pasta primavera.  Tequila Sunrise is yummy.  Happy Happy Joy Joy! is really joyful.  I would totally love that.

No fibers this week, some still on the bobbins but nothing ready to share, soon though.

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009 05:56:27 PM »

I have 2 yarns to contribute this week.  And I have a question.  But first, the yarns.

100 yards of 2 ply superwash merino about a DK weight from roving by etsy seller crazymonkey.  I'm calling it Easter Basket.  The colours remind me of Easter Grass and those Jelly Eggs that no one seems to like.

50 yards of navajo plied worsted weight from roving by etsy selller knitfrontandback.  I'm calling it Heir of Slytherin. 

Now my question.  How do you all set your yarns?  Up until now I've set the twist with a lukewarm bath and then kind of held between my hands and snapped to get kinks out, and hung to dry.  I've just tried 'shocking' the finished yarn with a soak in hot water, then onto icy cold and repeat and then whacking it on the laundry sink.  For some reason this yarn seems squishier.  Or maybe its just how its spun.  Does it make a difference to the finished yarn how it is set?  I eagerly await your expert answers.

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009 06:12:17 PM »

I have my first four yarns to show this week. I got a drop spindle in Shop the Swap and several rovings/batts to spin up as well.

I'm calling this first one Key Lime Sky. It's got hints of light blue in the green and it's plied with glow in the dark neon green thread, which is an added bonus. I think I'm going to make a baby hat with it for a friend. The roving was dyed by Nesse (Craftster member) and sent to me for STS.

This one is First Tea Party. It's wool plied with a light pink thread.

I think I'm going to make an ipod cover with this or something. There's not a lot of it.

Lucky Charms - Because it reminds me of the marshmallows in Lucky Charms. This was also dyed by Nesse.

And here is a an unnamed single that I'm going to use to crochet with. I got the batts from Avesthel in STS as well. They're very pretty and had bits of sparkle in them. They're really soft too. Out of three batts I got about 90 + yards, I've very excited over it. This one has a really sweet halo.

I'm learning a lot about fibers and I'm really not sure about most of this stuff. I'm sure I'll have an easier time naming fibers later on. I've got 2 pounds of white mill end rovings coming from The Sheep Shed Studio this week. I can't wait to get it, dye it and spin it up for more yarns to contribute next week!

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009 08:30:07 PM »

Grin .............I ADORE FIBER FRIDAYS!!!   Kiss

All the yarns look so yummy this week!  There's no way I could pick just one! 
But to theboythatspins............I just HAVE to say.........those batts are fabulous..........and the pink and yellow ones remind me of both kinds of lemonade!
Oh..........and Laura..........I gotta tell ya hon...........that mannequin cracks me up!  I wish I could find one like her!..............LOL

I only have one thing to contribute this week..............it's hand painted by me with Wilton's ............

I think I'll call it Swimmin' in the Keys...........

I can't wait to spin it up........... Grin

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009 10:35:08 AM »

I completely Missed fiber friday but I will post my two yarns from this week!

"Bouncing round the room"...6oz, it filled my jumbo bobbin and seems to fill a room. while i was spinning it i found out that I'm going to see Phish this summer, so it's named after one of their songs.

and "Cloudburst"...5.6 oz, 168 yards. It's grey Romney/Corrie x with streaks of blues, greens, purples and bright yellow firestar for lightning.

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009 04:48:56 PM »

I don't have anything to show this week, I've been spinning singles that will eventually end up a lace weight two ply, but I just wanted to say how pretty all the yarn is.  Beautiful!

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009 05:51:17 PM »

FFs hurt me a little lol. I get so inspired by other people's work that I just wanna drop a whole bunch of money for fiber and equipment.

Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009 07:23:27 PM »

mmmm all the rest of these yarns are delicious!!!!

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009 03:17:37 PM »

pmpknpunk - blatantly my faves this week. Black plied with sparkle and colour always makes me squee :-)

I still have a tiny amount of yarn on my spindle that I need to start working on again...

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009 10:10:30 AM »

Aww *blush* Thank you Persephone Hazard!

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tuna Salad
How to Make Pork Loin
Mozzarella Mushroom Meatballs Recipe
Thanksgiving Turkey Pizza Recipe
Chicken Rice Casserole Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...