A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,627
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ill-fitting Battlestar pants? Recon those fatigues! Or any high pant - picsorama  (Read 7021 times)
Tags for this thread: battlestar_galactica , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra
« on: March 26, 2009 06:00:01 PM »

So you see the stars wearing their hot army fatigues on Battlestar Galactica

But you put those puppies on, and they sag in the butt, blouse out at the hips, and come up to your chest.  (Sorry, no before pic, but if you've ever gotten those BDU's and put them on, you know how unflattering they are on the female form)

You can change all that - and end up with this...much better than the original baggy high pants!  (Don't mind the model, she is not a movie star...)

First, you've followed the tutorial on SciFiHero.net by Lostncybr (Green BSG BDU Colonial Fleet Utility Uniform), and modified the belt loops on a regular pair of army BDU fatigues.  Then, you fold the waistband over until the bottom of the belt loop touches the top of the back pockets - the same all the way around.

You'll need some hidden pleats or it will be blousy:
Next to the back pockets

Side seam

Sew all the way around, staying on the original seam for the bottom of the belt loops and top of back pockets - there will be a fold of fabric going up on the inside - just tack it in place so it stays up (or cut it off - I liked how it stiffened the waist band up, though, so I left it)

Final butt shot - the pleats don't show, and not baggy!

Final waist - I used too dark of a thread, and you can see where I tacked the folded fabric up, but the belt will cover it.

Now.. you are not ready for the frumpy ol' military, but you are ready for a Battlestar!  Well, almost - I just finished the shirt
- almost done with the rest.

I think this could work with some of my other pants that are too big on me, or too high waisted - just thought I'd share in case it could be helpful!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009 06:03:18 PM by La Maestra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
breemonkey
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009 06:12:02 PM »

Awesome!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to finish boring WIPs.
Watermelon.Tasha
I'm a leaf on the wind

I'm a leaf on the wind.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009 06:14:10 PM »

I love BSG and Kara Thrace too! I have been wanting to do the uniform for a halloween costume, but keep chickening out. It's almost as cool as Caprica's legendary red dress. Did you just put a raceback tank backwards, or did you alter one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Maestra
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 06:48:00 PM »

I love BSG and Kara Thrace too! I have been wanting to do the uniform for a halloween costume, but keep chickening out. It's almost as cool as Caprica's legendary red dress. Did you just put a raceback tank backwards, or did you alter one?

I got an extra large Tshirt from the thrift store and used it for fabric - I drafted the pattern from a backwards racerback, but I had to make the shoulder strap less flared - on the BSG shirt the strap edge is pretty parallel, then all of a sudden it flares out, so it's a little different than a racerback cut, but not much.  If I could have found a racerback that was the right color and wasn't rib-knit, I'd have used it.  Why wait for Halloween?  Make the costume and go to a Sci Fi convention!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crendon
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 07:12:44 PM »

OMG this is great. I'm not a Battlestar Galactica fan, but when I was going through basic training for the AF, one of the resounding complaints from the women were the ill-fitting uniforms!!!! HAHA. we all couldn't wait to get out of basic and get those suckers tailored!! you did a GREAT job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009 06:21:23 AM »

Wow, very detailed, nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009 09:01:57 AM »

I love this tut! I wish the real Army would love me do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moosedoom
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012 08:25:33 AM »

May I ask how you did the piping for the tank top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Maestra
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012 08:01:12 PM »

Moosedoom- sorry,it's been about a year since I've been on craftster.  I made the shirt a few years ago, but if I recall right, I used extra fabric that I cut from the bottom and applied it like binding. It twists weird in the wash because it wasn't on the bias,so I have to iron it.  Next time I will try to get 2 of the same shirt so i can get bias cut strips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter H
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter I
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter J
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter L
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter K
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...