A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 50 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL - Alterations to the FREE Buttercup Bag Pattern  (Read 150054 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , buttercup_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 26, 2009 03:09:19 AM »

A few of us Craftsters have made the free Buttercup Bag Pattern from here:  http://madebyrae.blogspot.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern.html.  I made a bag with quite a few alterations to it, including enlarging the pattern to 125% on the photocopier.  Here's the link to the one I made:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=296978.0.

The alterations I made were:

• Firstly - enlarged to 125%
  • Added a mobile phone pocket instead of a flat pocket
  • Added a zipper
  • Lengthened the strap to 24"
  • Interfaced the outer top

A couple of words of advice.  If you choose to interface the lining, the outer top and the handle and you sandwich the strap between the lining and outer - make sure your machine can handle thick layers otherwise you'll be breaking lots of needles!!!

OK.  Firstly, I'll show you how I added the zipper.  You need to start by altering your pattern.  Cut the lining an inch or so down from the top, then add 1/4" seam to either piece, like this:

Then cut your pieces for the bag.  You need to cut extra pieces.  4 pieces, width of the zipper x probably 2 or more inches (for the ends of the zipper) and another 4 pieces, 2 inches x a bit longer than the length of the outer upper piece of the pattern (for the sides of the zipper).  If this is a little confusing now, it may make more sense in the pictures further down.  You need to add the little tab bits to the ends of the zipper like this:

Then you need to add the side bits to the zipper, like this:

Then you need to cut the whole piece to 1 3/4" wide x length of outer upper piece, centering the zipper, like this:

Now you need to sandwich the zipper between the lining bottom and top, like so:

Repeat for the other side.  This is what it should look like:

Then sew the lining together.  With the ends of the zipper, make sure they go 'upwards' when catching in the lining, like this:

Make sure you leave an opening in the lining to turn right sides out:

OK. This ends the tutorial on the zipper.  If it seems a little confusing, I've used a couple of tutorials.  One of my own:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=85354.msg805095#msg805095 and another:  http://www.themikkelsens.net/sarah/journal/2008/06/recessed-zipper-how-to.html

Now onto how I did the mobile phone pocket.  I cut two squares of fabric (outer and lining) 5 x 5 inch square with 1" squares cut from the bottom of each fabric, like this:

Put right sides together and sew across the top:

Sew the corners of lining and outer:

Put right sides together.  Sew around edge leaving gap for turning:

Turn right sides out.  Press and top stitch along top edge:

Pin to lining:

Sew to lining:

Finally, the pleats.  I followed the directions of the pleats but somehow, I could not get them to fit.  This is how I ended up doing them. I must say, that I do like this way:

I placed a pin in the middle of the fabric.  I pinned the other 4 pleats according to the pattern.  This is what it looked like:

Start by sewing the pleated edges with the outer top piece on the top towards the centre but stopping before the centre, like this:

Start and the other end and stop before the centre.  Create a box pleat and continue to meet the other line of stitching:

You should end up with something that looks like this:

Hope this is helpful.  As always, if you have any questions, fire away!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009 04:55:31 AM »

you rock! thank you so much!
and you just started a creative process in my head (because I misinterpreted one of the pics) how I could add zippers to bag tops in a different way - can't wait to try! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009 07:11:24 AM by KeTing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009 05:09:43 AM »

cute Smiley thanks mucho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Atrandom
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 06:03:17 AM »

You make me want to learn to sew! The bag is great and I really like the fabric you chose. I just wished the tutorial made more sense to my sewnewb mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rauni
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 06:30:30 AM »

Oh so bookmarked!  I love your tutorials, they are so clear and easy to do.  I can't wait to try and make one of these.  Fortunately I'll be at work today where I have access to a photocopier Grin.  I have a winter coat with a cell phone pocket, but that does not help in the summer...I see a summer purse in the making!  Thanks for your hard work making this tutorial!

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
Semo
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 06:32:24 AM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this tutorial.  I'm for sure going to make this bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KayKay84
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 06:39:34 AM »

Thanks for the great tutorial! It looks very easy to follow, I'll definitely try it out soon  Smiley ! Btw I love the fabric you used, sooo pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silver mom
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009 08:02:11 AM »

Love It
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DZ Designs

Above the Clouds, there is not a cloud in the sky.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009 08:23:10 AM »

Fantastic instructions on the modifications.  I think this will be my next project!!  Can you tell me what size zipper you used for this bag??

Thank U
dz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009 09:00:48 AM »

I love the modifications you made.  I will be adding that cell phone pocket to a lot of bags now.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
How to use Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup at Floor Lines
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 1
The Flexibility and Changes of Fashion
DIY Steampunk Hardware Chess Set - Gomi Style TV
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...