A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I acheive...  (Read 1806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danni42683
« on: March 25, 2009 09:38:27 PM »

this

I plan on dyeing some fabric in the near future for a quilt that I have planned. I would love to acheive this look on the fabric that I dye. I have done alot of "research" about dyeing fabric, and I know what is needed to start but never have I seen anything like this done! Is there a way to do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009 10:43:28 PM »

Ive seen some similar effects from people using rock salt, sprinkling it on and it attracts the dye, so you get differant shadings.
I havent done it personally.
Hope thats some help.
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
danni42683
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009 05:51:22 AM »

I guess its just another trial and error huh! lol The story of my life seems to be many trials with lots of error!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 06:11:57 AM »

I've made things that look like that on paper with watercolour and kosher salt. Perhaps the fabirc is dyed one colour then another is painted ontop and sprinkeled with salt? or it could just be added on top while the fabric is still wet from the dye. Don't remove the salt until the fabric is completly dry... at least that's improtant with paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
WMA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 07:37:04 AM »

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1566392-AA.shtml?lnav=gifts.html
I love Dharma Trading. They sell silk salt but I don't see why regular salt wouldn't work...well, a course salt like rock or kosher because table salt has such fine grains the effect wouldn't be very 'big'. Using alcohol also creates some interesting effects...a watery effect similar to the top two fabrics you posted. Most sites talk about dyeing silk but this should work with any fabric as long as the dyes you use are the kind that need to be fixed afterward, not fiber-reactive dyes. In searching the internet I found this also (great site w/tons of info): http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B1063361308/C763608095/E20061101093208/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 10:19:57 PM »

Wow. WMA.....Thanks, thanks, thanks. I have been lurking this thread to find out how, too. Your links are excellent! *smooches*
~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
WMA
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009 04:24:32 AM »

You're welcome...I'm happy to help! I like to go into a new project armed to the teeth...with info, that is. Wink  I don't mind experimenting because that's the fun of something new, but I don't like it when I feel as though I'm wasting materials because I didn't get enough information on the basics of how-to. I like helping others go in fully loaded as well. That, and I'm always on the computer anyway so I may as well put the internet to good use!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danni42683
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009 12:00:33 AM »

Thank you all for the info you have provided! I can not wait to start dyeing some material, but I have to I have to many irons in the fire as it is right now!!! LOL

WMA~ I am the same way, just like this I do not plan on dyeing fabric tomorrow, or really even next week but I know I will need to SOON, therefore I NEED to know 110% of what I am doing before jumping in with both feet!

Again thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009 12:41:01 AM »

As well as using rock salt, you can try table salt as well.  The different grain sizes produce slightly different effects.

Enjoy  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
roccstarr75
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009 02:09:13 AM »

As well as using rock salt, you can try table salt as well.  The different grain sizes produce slightly different effects.

Enjoy  Smiley

You might even consider trying those huge salt pellets that are used for water softener systems.  The ones I have seen resemble large-ish lima beans.  These could be cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lemon Posset With Fennel Biscotti
Shortbread Lime Bars Recipe
Try This Chocolate Indulgence: Chocolate Cherry Bark
Chocolate-Glazed Raspberry Cream Puff Recipe
The Holiday Dessert Every Chocolate-Lover Will Crave
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...