A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about making a pot holder - finishing edges  (Read 2295 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbethie
« on: March 25, 2009 12:47:32 PM »

Hi y'all.  I have a quickie question about making a pot holder.  I've found 2 tutes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quilted-Pot-Holder/   -also has pdf print out
http://www.essortment.com/all/quiltpotholder_rewp.htm

It's the 2nd one that interests me since they are not using bias tape to edge the pot holder.  The tute says "To make your border, fold outer edge of bottom piece over until its edge touches the edge of the top piece. Iron so it stays down flat, tucking corner edges in. Fold over again, so the folded edge comes over top of the top side edge. Iron down, tucking corners in once again. Once the border is ironed down you need to pin it down before sewing. Stitch border edges down to top piece and batting."    This is fascinating to me and sounds quite easy!  What do y'all think, have any of y'all used this method before?

And also, are the majority of hand sewn pot holders made like this kind of sandwich?!?!  bottom fabric face down, batting, thermal batting, batting, top fabric face up??  Secured, quilted/stitched, and then then the edges are finished either with bias tape or with the method from the 2nd tute?

thanks in advance for any replies!
bethie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cookn
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009 01:56:17 PM »

It's just a small quilt. Yes, you can finish your edge this way. Just make sure that you measure correctly, so that you have enough backing to fold and fold again. Stitch only through the top fabric and the batting, the corners are a little tougher than using bias cut fabric, because you have to scrunch it all up to get it to look semi decent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009 08:14:04 AM »

cookn, if I'm going to use the fold over method, why can't I just machine stitch through all the layers after I've done the folding???

also i noticed on the 2 pot holders that I already have at home that are embarassingly falling apart, the ones that used bias fabric to finish the edges, it seems the "squares" cut for the pot holder actually had rounded edges.  does one normally cut squares with rounded or curved edges when using bias tape to finish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009 01:20:28 PM »

I gather it is because of the thickness.  Since the corners are tougher, if you stitch through all the layers it will become difficult to stitch the corners.  Cookn will correct me if I am wrong here.
I have an example of that type of finish I think.  I made a dog blanket last week with a plastic side.  It was a fast, unaccurate job, but it was not bulky so I had no problems to sew through it all.  With batting and all it's different.
This is it (just for the sake of illustrating it and to make sure I have understood it as well):

About the curved edges... no.  As far as I know, it isn't customary.  It may be a technique to keep the corners less bulky.  But usually the bias is applied in line with the edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
elijor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009 04:23:52 PM »

The way soorawn finished her dog blanket is exactly what the second pattern is talking about. You can sew the edge down with the machine - the stitching will of course show on the other side so as long as you are OK with that there is no reason not to. Someone posted Sewing Even Corners as a reply to another question and it showes how to do the corners so they are neat and tidy. The link is for napkins so there isn't any batting and extra layer of fabric but the technique is the same. Just pretend the "wrong side of the fabric" that you can see in the pictures is actually the front of the potholder.

The rounded corners are probably because it is easier/faster to sew binding around a curved corner than to miter the corners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookn
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009 04:49:55 PM »

The way I look at it, on the edge sewing, is that you can do it anyway you want to. Last time I checked there weren't any rules for something I make for myself for use by myself. THERE ARE NO SEWING POLICE in this world. I've sewn through both sides and my fingers and who knows what else and I'm still alive to talk about it. My Mom still loves me and my Wonderful Lady does too. I've asked the same question about sewing through both sides in many classes that we've gone to and never received an answer that made sense to me. The one you get the most is that it's just the way it's done. There is quite a lot of traditionalism in sewing and if that's the way it's been done, by golly that's the way you do it.

You can help it around the corner by notching the fabric that you are binding with and taking away some of the bulk, just take little snips on the inside of the binding and it smoothes things out.

One of the tests I did when we purchased my sewing machine was how it sewed multiple thicknesses of fabric. I took 8 layers of blue jean denim and it sewed through it with no problem, so thickness isn't an issue for me. The machine I was replacing could barely do three layers and it's a very very popular brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009 01:35:41 PM »

thanks y'all for your long responses to my noobie question!

and i totally don't mind stitching showing on the other side (it's just a potholder) and i do have that tute already book marked on even corners!  it will come in quite handy as i bought 2 yards of broadcloth fabric at joanns that i plan to turn into hankies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009 08:50:35 PM »

When I do mine it's basically front & back fabric good sides facing each other with the batting on the bad side of the back fabric. I sew a square (leaving a hole), nip the corners, turn it right side out & stitch around the edge. I like to stitch in the ditch when I do a quilted pattern.

Examples:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009 10:16:48 AM »

oh motley cruiser, your potholders are beautiful!  thanks so much for sharing the pics!

i actually came across directions in 'simple sewing' by lotsdotter when i was browsing at the bookstore the other day (sorry i'm probably remembering her last name wrong)

the method definitely sounds great for a beginner like me, however, i've read that when making pot holders you should have a layer of batting - insul brite - batting

do you have 3 layers of batting in yours?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009 10:27:37 AM »

you needn't that much, bwb.  Just find something heavy that will allow you to handle hot pots, like a piece of old blanket.  Insul brite sounds an excellent idea, but it isn't essential.  The batting in a pot holder is there precisely to make the pot holder useful for the job it has to do.
Have a look at your old ones and see what they used for them.  If you were comfortable with them, there's an idea of what you need.

And I agree, those pot holders are very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drybrushing Techniques
Painting Texture and Detail with Fabric Brushes
Painting Stroke Work
Painting Foliage with an Angular Bristle Brush
How to Draw
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...