A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Taxi Tote  (Read 771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KayKay84
« on: March 25, 2009 11:50:29 AM »

I made the Taxi Tote from Anna Maria Horners Book today and thought I'd share it. As always, completely hand sewn (though my mother in law has just given me her 30 year old very pretty bright yellow sewing machine as a permanent loan...definitely have to read the manual to find out how to use it soon!!).

I realised (once again) how bad I am at following instructions...so I basically just took the pattern, altered it a bit (it was too big for my taste) and then guessed what I had to do  Grin Turned out pretty good though. I wanted something classy, yet colourful for spring and I wanted to include the gorgeous kitty linen I had just bought. So I ended up with this and I think I like it  Cheesy The blue fabric is actually darker in reality, a nice teal...maybe I'll take pics in daylight tomorrow, the flash makes the colour look weird  Embarrassed

action shot:

I thought it looked too plain, so I added some embellishment (hard to see in the picture):

and the linen I used for lining (there's different cat and mouse shapes on it, I love it!):

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hughsie
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009 11:59:04 AM »

Beautiful hand sewing and love the bag. Very stylish, with such a lovely lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Atrandom
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009 12:17:18 PM »

You would never guess it's hand sewn! Well done!

I don't own a sewing machine and I've always been too intimidated to make a bag but your post encourages me to try... Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiltgrl
fabric addict

Faaaabulous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009 05:50:56 PM »

that came out nice! I need to try the taxi tote, made the one of everything and love it. That book is fabulous. I also love her new line of fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KayKay84
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009 10:25:47 PM »

Thank you all!

I don't own a sewing machine and I've always been too intimidated to make a bag but your post encourages me to try... Thanks!
Definitely try! This pattern is actually good for beginners I think..not too hard and you can't really make a mistake. It doesn't take very long either...a day or two.
Just take care everywhere where theres many layers of fabric coming together...sewing through all of them by hand can be pretty tough on the fingers. I also always make sure my fusible interfacing is shorter than the actual fabric pieces, so I don't have to sew through it.
And finally, in this pattern I sewed on the bias tape on the outside fabric and on the lining separately, because my lining fabric is pretty heavy, instead of sewing through all layers with one seam. It's more work but I didn't have a thimble and couldn't have done it otherwise.

I also love her new line of fabric.
Me too, it's gorgeous! I plan on decorating my apartment with it, I love it because the colours are so bright and vibrant. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive in Germany where I live, but I'll be flying to Canada next week and I have planned some very very very heavy fabric shopping  Grin  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start Using Calligraphy
How to Rule the Page for Calligraphy
How to Warm Up for Calligraphy
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - C, O, E
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - I, L, J, R, F, T
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...