A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: almost felted tulips  (Read 1180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecstatic_spider
« on: March 25, 2009 03:07:49 AM »

Hi,

I am new to felting and I haven't quite got it right yet.   I made this flower picture
which is almost felted.  I rolled for ages and used plenty of hot water etc but it doesn't seem to stick together like the book says, some areas can be lifted.  Not enough soap perhaps? 
Is it possible to re-felt something?  Or can it not be altered once you have rinsed it out?  Thanks in advance

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009 05:49:34 AM »

I dont know the answer to your question I was just going to say that your design is pretty and I hope you get an answer cause I am interested to hear it as well. I am about to give wet and needle felting a whirl as soon as a shipment of supplies comes in...so any tips would be great! Smiley

Will you be framing it? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009 05:51:59 AM »

i want to say things can be re-felted, if there are enough loose fibres to stick to each other.  but a more expert should know better.  also, if it was feltable in the first place, like, if you didn't accidentally get the wrong kind of fibres (not wool).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009 10:22:55 AM »

Yes. Things can be rinsed and refelted as many times as you like, as long as there is something left to felt. Some wool just doesn't felt tightly.

Where is your roving from?

I suggest working it directly, without rolling it. Take a bowl with pretty warm water and add a squirt of dish soap, wet the whole thing down (either outside, in the bath tub, or on top of plastic). Then get your hands nice and soapy. You can use regular mild dish soap for this, and start patting all over your wet felt to soak it and get soap on all the fibers. You can also squirt soap right onto the felt. Start gently, but rub the felt all over adding more pressure as you start to feel it come together. You can also rub it with bubble wrap for more friction. The water and the soap should go right though all the fibers to help them compact together. Once it's holding together then you can rinse out the soap and lay it flat to dry.

I hope that works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
ecstatic_spider
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 02:21:27 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I got the wool from spotlight and it was labelled as wet felting wool so it's the right sort.  I will try your suggestion "doyouloveanapple" and see how it goes. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 03:16:28 AM »

How well wool felts, also relates to how "fresh" it is.
Younger wool felts better than older wool.

But I think there's life in your felt yet  Smiley
Have another go at it. If it still won't felt, be more rough with your felt.
Have a peek at this tutorial I wrote aaaaages ago.

PS, are you an Australian?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 04:18:11 AM »

@ Jane Doe, your link is missing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
piskie-mishkie
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009 09:31:37 AM »

we are wet felters but have never used bubble wrap and resists, so the advice is similar to do youloveanapple...
 only perhaps as you are starting out, you can lay your piece on a flat surface.
then get some very warm water, a sponge, and some soap (we find natural soaps are easier to work with, they dont get as slippy- which moves the fibres apart).
dribble some water over the part you start with, plop some lather on it, and then get you hands soapy-this stops the fibres sticking to you.
only wet a part at a time- about a hand and a half in size- if you wet the whole piece then it gets cold before you get to it, and the wool needs to be warm to be felted.
now this part can seem a bit daunting- actually rubbing your hands directly on the piece!
so push downwards at a medium pressure, when you lift your hand- do it to the side and gradually pull up- this lessens the felt actually sticking to your hand.
now that the soap is covering the part and pushed thru, then start rubbing it, not hard, just gently, youl feel the fibres get secure reasonably quickly.
once the whole square is done then you can soap both hands and put one below and  one above the piece, rubbing the felt between.
you can get more firm with your rubbing, as you go along, you will feel when its not so delicate and fluffy feeling.

if this sounds a bit scary, try it out with a 'dummy' piece that has a small design, and see how it goes,
good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009 04:18:04 AM »

@ Jane Doe, your link is missing.

lol - whoops!
Here it is
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=56350.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecstatic_spider
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009 02:48:49 AM »

Thanks heaps for that,  love the patterns on your squares
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
90 Second Southwest Cobb Salad Recipe With Fiesta Black Beans
How to Make Cinnamon Eggnog Oatmeal
How to Make a Mardi Gras King Cake
Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
Perfectly Crispy Chicken Skin Recipe From Chef Amanda Freitag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...