A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chain Stitch Tutorial  (Read 2375 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , crochet_stitch_tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2009 05:22:56 PM »

We've all seen intricate things made using crochet, and most folks find the number of different crochet stitches possible to be a bit overwhelming.  Chain stitch, single crochet, double crochet, half-double crochet, shell stitch, filet crochet, tunisian crochet, puff stitch, popcorn stitch... How daunting!

When taken at its most basic, though, in order to do any of those stitches, one only needs to know how to do three things: insert hook, yarn over, and pull through.  What differentiates the stitches is how many times and in what order you do those three things.

To do a chain stitch, which you pretty much start every crochet project with, you only need to know two of the main three maneuvers: yarn over, pull through.

To start, make a slip knot in your yarn and put it on your hookHold the yarn in a manner you find suitable, and hold your hook either like a knife (my preference), or like a pencil (I find this hard on my wrist, your mileage may vary).

To do a yarn over (yo) start with the hook above the yarn:

Rotate the hook around the yarn in a counter-clockwise direction:

That's it!  You'll do a LOT of yarn overs in your crocheting career.

The next step in a chain stitch is the pull through.  Start with the yarn over, then continue like this:

Look at the loop that is on the hook already.  You'll see that it is not a circle shape, as one might expect, but a tear-drop shape.  Turn your hook so that the end of the hook is lined up with the pointy part of the tear-drop:

Making sure you've caught the yarn in the hook, pull it through the loop on the hook:

Push the hook up so that the new loop you just made is on the shaft (the part of the hook between the hooked end and the flat thumb rest).  This is important to getting a nice, even, easy-to-use chain:

And that's it!  Do that over and over again to produce a "base chain" which is the starting point of a flat piece, or to make a starting loop for crochet in the round (tutorial to come!).

Things to do with the miles of chain stitches you're likely to produce while practicing this: wrist wrap, scarf.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparrowlegs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009 10:21:23 AM »

can I just say THANK YOU!!
I can now crochet!...I even did double stitch and triple stitch, and made a mouse!
which the cat has taken off me  Cheesy
once you get going its so relaxing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not a sheep, I dont follow....
AND please be aware, I am in England, so my spellings and sayings may seem a lil bit weird lol
xMichiyo
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009 04:40:45 PM »

Thanks for this!! I knew how to do this stitch before, but this is actually making me do them a bit easier and faster. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...