A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo-Slide Lampshade (Tutorial)  (Read 31132 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OCEANofAWESOME

Life, It's Just Something You Do

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2005 10:13:45 PM »

Here is the ridiculously sweet Lamp I made from various slides I collected over the years.  I am sooo proud of it cause I think it turned out awesome!!!  Cool  It was probably one of the most tedious projects Ive done, but if you think you can rough it out then there is a tutorial at the bottom.  Hope you like!  Cheesy  [/b]
http://home.comcast.net/~oceanofawesome/tableFULL.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~oceanofawesome/shade.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~oceanofawesome/shade2.jpg

Materials[/b]
-Lamp with shade (I got mine at Walmart for $20)
-Drill
-Photographic Slides-anywhere from 60 to 120, I used 120 *see step one before you do anything!
-Metal Rings (in the jewelry department of craft stores) *read steps 1-2 to find out how many to buy
- 2 pairs of Pliers
-Parchment Paper (the stuff in the Wilton Cake decorating section of your craft store works great; it comes on a roll like wax paper and is a cheaper option)
-Glue (see step 4)
-Scissors/Slicer (slicer works best for speedy results)

Instructions[/b]
1.  Buy Your Lamp before you buy any supplies!!!  Remove the fabric from your lampshade so that there is just a top metal ring.  Then use a slide to figure out how many slides it would take to go around the entire ring.  Afterwards multiply that number by how many rows you want there to be; this will get you the number of slides you need to use.
2.  Use an extra slide or a piece of paper in the same shape as the slide and map out the position of where you want your holes to be drilled.  I did 2 holes on the top and bottom of each slide, and 1 hole on the left and right; this is the perfect amount of security(Refer to pictures for placement of rings).  Make them close enough to the edge so that the metal rings will fit on.  Drill a hole over each marking for a stencil.
3.  For each slide, place the stencil or pattern on top and drill all your holes.  Be prepared, THIS IS TEDIOUS!!!
4.  Now cut pieces of parchment paper out big enough to cover just the photo part of each slide, but leaving enough overlapping so that you can glue it to the slide.  The Parchment paper is really just to make your photos stand out more; if you hold your slide up to a window or light bulb, you can see that the picture is sooo much more vivid with the paper behind it then not.  Glue each piece of paper to the back of each slide- this is tedious as well.  I used a Tombo Mono Adhesive Permanent Strip Glider tool that I got in the scrapbooking isle at Michaels and it worked great and is a much cleaner and speedier option.  All you do is glide it over the section you want to be glued and it comes out in a clear 1/4" strip of tape-like residue.  It was a lifesaver for I had to do 120 slides.
5.  Now layout the order you want your slides to be in and start hooking them together with the metal rings.  It is easier to do each column individual first, and then start hooking the columns together.  When that is finished, then hook it to the lampshade ring.  Pliers are a must to open the rings and to close them believe me!  This is the most tedious and painful step of all!!!
6.  Turn on your lamp and ENJOY!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 08:40:13 AM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next Time that Star Shoots Across the sky...(think amongst yourselves)
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~swanso01/
smprncs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005 10:30:17 PM »

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I must transfer my pics to slides. I need one of these lamps. Thanx for the great tute and the inspiration!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005 01:37:23 PM »

they had this on Ready Made a while back...i printed and saved it, cuz i want to make one! I think yours looks even cooler than the pictues they have...nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmonerd
Tutorial Contributor

Sporadic Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005 10:57:42 AM »

That's Gorgeous! I absolutely will try this project. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little things I make http://vendibles.etsy.com
LoneCheeze
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005 08:20:58 PM »

oh man, that is wonderful!!!
if only all my dad's old slides weren't presentation slides from work or pictures of trains...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpea

"she just...she wanna act wrong"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005 11:24:18 AM »

This idea is completely awesome! I love it. I was just wondering-- does the light coming out from the cracks between the slides bother you when you're trying to see the slides? Would this work if you left the lampshade fabric in place (if it was light colored and thin)??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nightblue Fruit

Re+New: Vintage Reborn by Hand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005 02:24:43 PM »

You lamp turned out fabulously!  Those slides are wonderful - so colorful!  I've made two of these now myself, so I think I've got the process down pretty well...

A hint for getting a lampshade:  I believe slides are a standard size:  2" x 2".  This means that the ring on the top of the shade that you will hang them from must be divisible by 2, since you can't use partial slides.  I've used thrift shop lampshades for both of mine and they were very cheap.  It was a bit tricky though to find one that was divisible by 2", so bring your measuring tape with you. 

The rings were a bit tricky to find also, until I knew exactly what to look for:  the Readymade instructions were right on:  10mm Jump Rings.   Perfect size to keep the slides close together.  (I don't know if they come much bigger anyway)

This idea is completely awesome! I love it. I was just wondering-- does the light coming out from the cracks between the slides bother you when you're trying to see the slides? Would this work if you left the lampshade fabric in place (if it was light colored and thin)??
If your slides are as close together as the 10mm jump ring allows, the little bit of light coming through is no problem.  I think that leaving the fabric on (even a thin layer) would really detract from the form and visual appeal of the slides.  But if you really wanted to do this, you could skip the step of attaching the parchment paper to the back as the fabric or paper of the shade would accomplish the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The heaventree of stars hung with humid nightblue fruit"  James Joyce
OCEANofAWESOME

Life, It's Just Something You Do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005 04:25:29 PM »

I don't think it would work if you left the shade on because...
     1.  There would be nothing to hook the top rings onto unless you drilled holes into the shade.
     2.  The slides do not bend that easily so it would be hard to get them to wrap snugly around the shade just so.  It would probably work if you didn't mind space in between the slides and shade, but I am still not sure that the pictures would show up as crisp without the backing covering it completely.
But hey, if you decide to try it with the lampshade still on be sure to post the results.  If I can get away without putting parchment paper on each slide then I am totally down for it! Wink
     As for the cracks in between the slides, the camera exaggerates the light and projects a glare much more than in actual life; when I have the light turned on I really do not notice it at all.
[/b]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next Time that Star Shoots Across the sky...(think amongst yourselves)
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~swanso01/
BlueEyedMary
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005 05:18:32 PM »

this is really beautiful! it should be a featured project for sure
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God bless the daylight, the sugary smell of springtime, remembering when you were mine in a still suburban town...
colie
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005 01:01:12 AM »

I saw this in readymade, and I instantly knew I had to have it. Unfortunatley the only slides I have at the moment are leftovers from sending in a portfolio- i have a ways to go before I will have a lamp. i am sure my collection will grow immensely with my photo class next semester. waiting is so hard! patience...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Personalized Painted Canvas Placemats
Decorating Bikes for the Fourth of July
Red, White and Blue Festive Garland
MAKERS China: Guo Jianmei
MAKERS China: Yang Liping
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...