A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Final Wallet Prototype (butt-ugly fabric, don't say I didn't warn you!)  (Read 2176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2009 05:54:17 AM »

Hey folks Smiley

[Edit: I just read this again and feel like I have to say today is NOT my day when it comes to writing proper English, I am sorry for that and hope you'll understand anyway...]

I made this recently: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292646.msg3325760#msg3325760 and used it for a while but always found I didn't like the size too much and thought about resizing it in a way I'd like it better.
Then a friend of mine requested a wallet just like the one I had in mind and I finally had a reason to go give it a try...

The fabric I used for this was some old  my grandmother gave to me for trying out patterns or whatever, it's not at all meant to be pretty, I just wanted to figure out measurement and things like that without wasting the good stuff. Wink So if you're appaled, just let me tell you, I am too! Wink (oh, and I just put it on my ironing board which is just as appaling on behalf of fabric... well, I should get/sew a new cover, I guess)

It's actually almost completed, because I have one part yet to figure out... but I will tell you about that after you see the pictures. Smiley

What I have yet to figure out is the center part where clear vinyl or something alike is supposed to be sewn in to show bus tickets or things like that without fiddling around. At first I attached it just like the rest before turning the whole thing around, but then it was quite crumpled and I ripped it out again. I am thinking about sewing some bias tape around it and then attaching it with blanket stitch after I put the rest together, stitching just through the inside background so it won't be visible on the outside.
Does anyone have any better ideas? (Preferably one that doesn't involve handstitching, as I probably suck in that... never did it yet)
I'd be very grateful for any advice on that!

Also c & c welcome! Smiley

(And don't forget to lean back and have a look at some nice Amy Butler fabric to get over the fabric shock!)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 06:39:22 AM by KeTing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
Superjodes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009 06:05:50 AM »

I love that fabric!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009 06:26:12 AM »

*lol* in that case I'm sorry I might have implied you (or anyone else who likes it) could have a bad taste. Wink Sure didn't mean to. It's probably me, then. Wink
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 06:37:01 AM by KeTing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009 08:14:24 AM »

lol Superjodes beat me too it lol, i love this fabric... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009 08:24:00 AM »

I don't think the fabric is ugly, but it kind of wigs my eyes out. Almost gives me a headache because there is so much going on.

Anyway, your wallet looks great. I've never made a wallet before so I can't offer any better ideas on the vinyl. Though I'm sure if you don't get impatient you could sew by hand just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
ravenztarot
YOU WANT WHAT? WHEN? YOUR JOKING!

I <3 my rotary cutters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009 08:25:00 AM »

i love it! i fell in love with this wallet the moment i saw it..

fabric tooo!

lets us know how you did it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best stories start with "ok officer I am going to tell you what happened"

Personal Swaps. LOVE fabrics & Vintage sewing  patterns and sewing books, tea, sewing notions, books, music, tarot anything, dragons, vampires and weres.

wist list: http://www.wists.com/ravenztarot
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009 09:08:14 AM »

funny, I didn't think anyone would like the fabric... I'll tell my grandmother Wink

I thought about making a tute, because I will make two more of those and would have the opportunity to take pictures, but then I thought that in the linked thread on my first posting here there's a tutorial for the long version and maybe you could figure the differences out?
I'd feel like "stealing and modifying" an already existing tutorial if I made one.

What do you think? Can you figure it out, do you want a complete tutorial or just some notes about the changes I made?

Will take me some time, though, I am quite busy at the moment.

Thanks for your comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
dogswife
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009 09:31:37 AM »

I too love the fabric! I would love the long version of the tut. I am very visual so pics would be great too.
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live well, laugh often, love much
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009 09:39:01 AM »

Ah, I think I just solved the problem (in my head, at least). The last step of the version I did was adding the closure after turning it around. I would probably be able to turn it without crumpling if I'd sew the closure in before turning it and then leaving a big hole on one of the long sides where I can pull everything through (did that make sense? in my head it did...). I'll just give it a try and then report back Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
arkep
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009 12:40:14 PM »

I really like the layout of the wallet...I'd love a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bleach Your Hair
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 1/2
How to Get Mad Men Hair
How to Get a Snooki Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...