A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reanimated Ugly Skirt  (Read 2649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brookelynne
« on: March 24, 2009 05:04:32 AM »

For some reason, when my friends and family want to get rid of clothes they don't like anymore they usually end up in my closet.
It got to the point where I could no longer find any clothes I wanted to wear for all the clothes other people didn't. 
So I started to hack and sew my way through this nightmare by turning them into something more manageable.

This is my first set of projects from this madness.

The ugly hippie skirt.

It was too big to actually hang on a hanger, so it was laying across my old easel that has been out of commission for months, languishing under laundry.   When I wore this special skirt it made my hips look at least 6 sizes bigger than they actually were, plus it was a big burden to move around in and it had two huge rips (the reason my mom gave it to me).

I cut off the waistband and the fabric sprung forth and stretched on for what seemed like miles.  So without really having a plan I started cutting squares and circles and pinning them together. 
I came out with an ultra skimpy hankerchief skirt that was going to be doomed to lay in my closet for the rest of it's life.

Discouraged I went to bed thinking of ways I could a) lengthen it so that I would actually wear it and b) fasten it about my waist. 

When I awoke that morning I had the perfect plan!  I headed straight back to the closet and hacked the legs off of some tattered jeans and...

Tada!
Something I would actually wear!

Here is a closeup of the hangy points (and some potting soil, and my puppy dog who is in dire need of some bathing)

But I wasn't done there, I got an idea while I was in Jo-Ann's a while back for some froufy pants. 
They really didn't turn out like I planned but that is partly due to the fact that I didn't use the right jeans...
I still like the result ok, not as much as the skirt, but still wearable.
I couldn't get a good picture because we were indoors and my fiance gives up if he can't get the lighting right the first time. 
So here is my best effort to take pictures of my legs myself...

Thank you for looking. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 05:09:28 AM by brookelynne » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueroses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009 02:31:47 PM »

WAY cool!  Both turned out great but the skirt is my FAVE!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
testingtime

Yay, wolves! x3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009 03:23:12 PM »

I like the skirt! Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MzDaisy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009 08:13:28 AM »

I've ended up with too-skimpy skirts too, and used a t-shirt to make it longer. I like the look of the jeans at the top, very creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azraela
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009 06:20:37 PM »

I seriously love your skirt! I want to make something just like it, but I'm a total sewing novice. Any chance of a little more information about how you sewed it? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookelynne
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009 07:23:05 AM »

Sorry I haven't checked this post since forever!  I didn't really have a plan to start since I just wanted to get that hideous skirt out of the way or wearable, lol. But I will do the best I can in explaining my process.

First I cut two large squares (The height of the fabric was my measurement) and I folded them in half for corner to corner to make a triangle.
Then I folded them in half corner to corner again and hacked off the top (which would be the middle of the fabric) to 1/4 of my hip measurement.
Pin those two pieces together with the points alternating and sew together.
Then I chopped a pair of jeans right above the crotch area and pinned and sewed the same way I did the skirt part.

Sorry again that I didn't get on and post this sooner! And that the description is way fuzzy. 
I found this tutorial online that gives a clearer description of handkerchief skirts and how to assemble.
http://wkdesigner.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/handkerchief-skirt/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krickyla
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009 08:14:37 AM »

That's really cute. I now regret passing up a cute but too poofy hippie skirt at the thrift store today.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggie0424
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009 09:06:48 PM »

I really like the skirt.  Good thinking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
California Sensibility: What Is California Literature?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...