A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kingston Bug  (Read 8023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EveningGoddess
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009 09:16:28 PM »

ahhhh!!!!
seriously!!it just made me all itchy!!
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009 09:28:41 PM »

Ugh. Those creep  me out so much. I would find them in my room because I lived in the basement, that looks frightengly realistic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quacker Jacks

I miss my Moon Tiara...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009 06:06:35 AM »

Ah I just left Kingston last year; graduated from Queens. And your very realistic painting brings back some memories. Some terrible, terrible memories.

For instance, if you throw a flip flop from across the room (and hit your target), their legs seem to fly off its body. And you better hope your aim is true, otherwise your paranoia is matched only by your grip on said flip flop.

Fantastic painting, seriously, it's so realistic it required a double-take.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009 07:04:50 AM »

I thought it was real! All the little hairs are standing up on my body. I hate those things with the passion of a thousand suns, but yours is really good and really realistic. Nice job. I really hope I don't see any today. I freakin hate bugs.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitty34
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009 07:35:18 AM »

Oh ick - I went to Queen's and remember these things with horror. I actually saw the thumbnail and though of the time one crawled out of my sink - while I was brushing my teeth. *shudder*

You're painting is incredibly realistic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malica
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009 08:00:49 AM »

Ew! Ew! Ew! This is far too realistic for my liking. I'm generally not squeemish at all when it bugs, but these things are nasty. I swear the 3 or 4 I've seen in my life have seemed to be "hairier" (which is where I draw the line on bugs -- I'm perfectly fine until they're large enough to be hairy), and when trying to explain what I saw to others I often tell them it looks like they had legs coming out of its back in all directions! I suppose it's a small consolation that because of this thread I now know what they're called. I'm still completely grossed out though. It's very realistic, and well painted. And Eeeeeew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009 08:06:59 AM »

while this is wonderful and disturbingly realistic, I can't look at it too long for just that reason.  I thought it was a real bug!!!!!!  I absolutely HATE those things.  they freak me out to no end, especially when I see one speeding across my living room floor.  *shudder*

you still did a wonderful job nonetheless.   Smiley

and as far as some saying get rid of the dampness, you'll get rid of these things, I don't necessarily find that to be true.  our basement is as dry as Death Valley (though not as hot thankfully) and we still get them.  I found myself spraying Windex at one crawling on the basement wall just last summer.  it fell, I don't know where it went, but I haven't seen any crawling around since...so far.  maybe it lived long enough to tell all its buddies to look out for the human that sprays poison liquid.

and now I'm paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!  thank you very much!!!!!!   Cry Cry Cry  where's that Windex...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
magpie_eyes

I like shiny things!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009 08:39:08 AM »

I can almost anticipate the crunch of it under my shoe.  If you need some more for models, I know I have some hiding in my basement. (Peterborough).  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weird_lover_wilde
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009 08:43:41 AM »

I LOVE hearing stories about these guys!  Keep them coming!

I have 3 kingston bug related stories to share:

the first: not so gross.  I was lying in bed and saw one on our ceiling (we have SUPER high ceilings in our apartment) and I felt like it was holding me hostage.  I called for my boyfriend to come and save me, and he had to get a super long pole with a flat thing on the end (for cleaning the shower) and he stood on the bed and crunched at it.  The remains are still there.  But it was hard, because he would smack it with the pole, and it would just keep crawling--faster and faster!  Eventually he mashed it really good... it died.

Another time I stepped one one by accident and it felt like a pile of dried leaves... and the mo-fo JUMPED! and ran away!! (I was just looking online, and apparently these brats can run 16 inches per second!).  I never found it again.

The third is the most gross story.  Before my boyfriend (now fiance) moved in with me, he was visiting my old apartment.  He called from the bathroom, stating that there was something floating in the toilet and that he didn't know what it was.  Horrified (did I forget to flush a "feminine" product before jumping into the shower?) I ran in to take a look.  It was (no lie) a 7 inch centipede, floating in the toilet, with its body submerged, and its head sticking out of the water, wriggling about!  After getting a mad case of the jiblies (when you feel all creepy crawly and gross and have to jump around to feel better), I flushed it.

Oh!  Now I have the jibblies all over again!

Here is the framed painting (the ONLY place I feel comfortable looking at a centipede)

And here is the original photograph I worked from (wikipedia)

To make everyone who has encountered these creatures feel better, you should know that centipedes eat other bugs, like spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, ants and silverfish (from Wikipedia).  So they're actually kind of helpful in that way.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009 08:49:47 AM »

Those are the "Satan Bugs"! We had one once in our house in Northern California, I'm not a sqeamish person and I'm never freaked out by insects but that one is so wicked fast and freaky looking it had me jumping up on my sofa and standing there screaming until one of the guys squashed it. (It appeared during a home church meeting in our living room.)
My friend who lived in a basement for awhile said she spent a good part of her evening performing genocide on these things and making sure her bed was cleared of them before she went to bed. ICK!

Great job, too realistic!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 08:57:44 AM by arimethia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Hair Loss Treatments
Hair Tips: How To Cut Your Own Bangs
Keep Curly Hair Frizz Free With This Hair Care Set
How to Braid Hair
How to Add Body to Your Hair with Beer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...