A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of Pockets (lots!) and a wallet  (Read 1493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2009 03:24:06 PM »

Hey, all. I've had a busy weekend-I finally got around to finishing a new purse for me, and a wallet. Overall I'm pleased with both, but I could stand some concrit--and advice--especially on the wallet.

First up-Lots of Pockets. I saw a few of them here and thought they were cute. This was my mockup, and I'm glad I made it-it's too small for my taste. The shell is white corduroy from my stash; the lining is actually a former valance, also from my stash. No interfacing, and as you can see, the snap is misaligned so the tab is crooked.

But I liked it, so I made another. This one I expanded 3" in both directions. The black corduroy shell came from my stash; the lilies from Hancock's. I like lilies.  Smiley I used fusible fleece for interfacing, which worked really well, I thought. The only hitch is that one set of darts on the bottom don't line up. You'd have to turn it upside down to see it though, and if you do that I'm likely to take it back and whack you with it. Grin A neat detail is the cords on the tab go horizontally, while the body goes vertically. Completely unintentional on my part. Tongue

Then there's the wallet. Roll Eyes I used this tutorial (http://elily00.wordpress.com/tutorials/wallet/). I didn't have any problem following it, but I should have made a mockup of this too, with something simple like denim. What a PITA. I have no idea what the outer shell is; I got it Walmart and at the time, thought it was some sort of microfiber. It wasn't vinyl like I'm familiar with, that's for sure, but it was a pain to work with whatever it was.

This is where I could stand some advice. I didn't topstitch around it, and here's why:

See that pucker on the left edge? I sewed along the spine of the wallet and got that. I had the same problem in the basting stage; whatever the outer fabric was stuck to the presser foot. How do I prevent that? I'm afraid that if I topstitch around the edge, it'll end up puckered everywhere. I'd like to learn how to handle it-I've still got enough left for a simple ID holder.

All in all, not a bad first try. I learned a lot, it doesn't look too horrible, and I'll probably make another one.

edited because I can't spell today!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009 03:43:36 PM by Mrs_Boats » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
jessie_jane
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 04:36:53 PM »

both the purses are really cute, I like the fabric selection. Did you find a tutorial for the purse? I made the wallet a couple of weeks ago, my top stitching kind of got messed up around the corners because of the thickness.
A good tip i used for sewing on vinyl is putting scotch tape on the bottom of the presser foot, then it glides right thru.
Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs_Boats

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009 04:47:39 AM »

The purse is Lots of Pockets from Kaykalou on etsy. (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22376932) I really like it, and now I'm eying one of the clutches for my aunt.

Thanks for the tip about the scotch tape-I'll have to give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ambergirl134
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009 02:16:34 PM »

I will have to try the scotch tape trick.  I usually just put tissue paper between the vinyl and my presser foot and sew, then I rip the tissue off when I am done.  I like your purse, it turned out cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruthiedutton
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009 08:37:56 AM »

the lots of pockets bag looks so functional, and those front pockets look like the relaxed pockets on some cozy jeans.  love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laura_J
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 03:57:57 PM »

I really like the black and lily combination. I like bright colors inside my purses too. Makes things easier to spot inside.
I'm familiar with that fabric from walmart. It's upholstery weight which makes it stiff. I use a teflon foot on my machine. Has made my life so much easier. It just glides over stuff rather than sticking. I bought one for each of my machines and wish I could get one for my serger, too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs_Boats

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 04:05:10 PM »

ruthiedutton: Those front "jeans" pockets are the perfect place to put my keys-the tab sticks out so I can grab them, and they're not buried in the bottom of my purse.

Laura_J: Lilies are my favorite! If I could wear orange at all, I'd have bought a lot more than the 1/2 yard I got. Grin I'll definitely have to try a teflon foot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...