A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorm Room Crafts  (Read 2406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2005 06:47:08 PM »

For all of us High School Seniors... summer is not soon enough. I was hoping all of you could help me with some crafts to make for my dorm and also some gifts to make for close friends. I'm willing to anything, maybe even some type up survival kit. All of you are genious' and I appreciate the help.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
JaneJane
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005 02:28:56 PM »

You will want to personalize your dorm room and not all dorm rooms are the same size.  Your floor will probably be institutional tile which means that you will want a rug to step onto when you get up in the morning.  You will probably want some type of a bed spread or cover.  Your "couch" will probably be your bed so some pillows or a nice bed pillow case would be nice; not too big because you still have to either sleep with them or throw them on the floor.  Often there is not too much desk, dresser, or counter top space so only small picture frames work well; this is the same space you'll be studying on.  While your're often not allowed to hang anything, a light weight French picture board for pictures, notes, or a calendar is good; when you get there, you'll learn what you can and can not get away with.  Chances are, you will be doing your laundry in a communal laundry room several floors away or even in the next dorm building so some laundry bags would be great; it is a time saver to have a seperate laundry bag for whites, darks, mixed that is also the size of a single washer.  Sometimes a lap blanket is nice if you're studing into the late hours of the night; make it so you can use it as a shawl if you want instead.

For yourself, you may want some "nice" pajamas - it is not uncommon for the fire alarm to be pulled for a good view of all the girls in their nightime wardrobe ect....  And, it is not uncommon to be in bed asleep only to find that the room mate has invited or uninvited company piling in the room.  For many, nice is some where in between the envisionment of Victoria's Secret and Grandpa Moses' flannel shirt and bottoms.  Even if you don't go for the pj's, a robe can be important whether you have a private bath, shared bath, or communal bath down the hall.  Often, you have no idea who you may run into. 

Many dorms have some type of a kitchenette which may consist of a counter and sink all the way up to a stove, fridge, sink.  A couple of pot holders, a couple of kitchen towels, and a dish cloth come in handy.  Even if your dorm doesn't have a kitchenett, it is not uncommon for someone to have a popcorn popper, microwave, or fridge.  With fridges come beverages and some coasters are not a bad idea.  If you are a tea or coffee drinker (you may become one if you aren't now), then things to go with a drip coffee pot or a hot water pot and tea pot might be an idea too. 

Towards other types of personal items.  You may have no idea who your room mates are or their friends.  Often jewlery pouches that can be stashed in a drawer, a shoe, in your lanudry bag, etc... are a good idea for jewlery and money.  Chances are, you will be commuting back and forth from home during the session or at holidays.  All things related to travel accessories from cosmetic bags to jewlery pouches, to lingure roll ups, to dress bags are a good thing.  You may or may not be sharing closet space with a/all of the room mates and a dress bag or two might be a good thing just for in the dorm.  Floor and drawer space tend to be scarce in dorm rooms so over the door or hang up organizers might be a good thing.  All of these types of personal items tend to also establish personalized ownership of the space they occupy; often it's not a bad thing. 

Ideally, you will have some time for a bit of a social life and maybe even something on the formal side.  If your social circle is larger, it's amazing how many times you can wear the same few, simple dresses if you have the correct and distinctly different accessories.  Think shawls/wraps with corrdinating bags.  Mid terms is not the ideal time to drag out a machine and think creatively! 

On the academic side - that is why you're there isn't it? - You will probably have use for more organizational aides than you did in high school, you will probably be carting more of your "desk contents" from one end of campus to another, and you will probably be traveling further distances on foot from one class or study place to another.  Whether you end up with a back pack, week-ender bag, or wheeled case, you will need pouches for things like pens, pencils, calculators, possibly a stapler, etc.... Likewise, something to organize those supplies in your study space or a desk drawer if you have one.  If you're scattered to the far winds in on a larger campus, you will need something to carry some snacks/lunch, beverages, and possibly beverage making supplies (i.e. immersion heater, mug, instant coffee/tea bags, and the fixings). 

Hopefully this gives you more ideas than you can put to use but enough to choose from.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
julia2222
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005 04:12:17 PM »

wow! Jane posted way more than i ever could have gotten down, but i do have a couple of ideas

personalized whiteboards for their doors- u can get small (8x11) whiteboards at Target or Staples type stores.  Then use paint pens and or stickers to decorate them to match your friend's personality (just make sure u actually leave space for writing messages!)

Decorate laundry bags for them (last year i found some basic canvas ones at www.sciplus.com)- just use fabric paints and go crazy!  although sometimes laundry baskets are preferable...

you could also upholster/decorate bulletin boards

one of my fave things for dorm living is my lap desk (which i bought from pbteen.com) but i'm sure u could figure out how to make one.  They are just so great for people like me who hate sitting at a desk, but like to have a surface to hold the laptop, textbooks, notebooks, etc they need.

sheer curtains are a lifesaver if you dont get along with your roomate- they can divide the space without blocking out the light, or create a princess canopy for your bed.

you can never have too many tote bags (at least i can't) they're great for carrying books and stuff around, or just for organizing stuff in your room- so you could sew some up for your friends, or just buy plaain canvas totes at the craft store and decorate them with fabric paints, stencils, and iron-ons

that's all i got right now, i'll try to think about what i love in my dorm room that i've made
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bk
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005 08:31:15 PM »

when i went to college (8.5 years ago), i went to michael's and got a lot of stuff to decorate!  my favorite item, which i still own, was one of those plaster busts.  i got one of moses, and painted it black.  he is such a conversation piece, and i love dressing him up!  sometimes he wears lab glasses, but right now  he has on a crazy leopard hat and mardi gras beads..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005 09:19:43 PM »

Great job on tips, Jane!

I second the recommendation of french memo boards, but cork boards also work well. My friend recently lived in the dorms and the one thing that the stores in our area stock readily come moving-in time are 3M's Command strips. I've used these for the corkboard in my room at home and they are AMAZING and very cheap, considering the damage costs you would incur with nails.

Finding out who your roommate is is probably THE most important step. You may come up with plenty of ideas now, but if your roommate is thinking something entirely different, you're screwed for the major design ideas. Give the huge makeover plans a second thought before starting.

A rug, nice pajamas, hidable valuables storage are also things my friends have talked about. One friend of mine has been living in the dorms for 3-4 years and has told me to be sure to have your own mattress (the ones the university supplies are WAY too iffy, trust me, I've seen and smelled them) and bring only the lesser valuable items from home (even if you trust your roommate, their friends and someone forgetting to lock a door can bring heart and wallet ache.)

Be sure to have a small amount of very mixable and decent clothing as well as some more tattered work clothes. One nice pair of shoes or so and a few dress outfits are very important if you have an important meeting (i.e. "I know I didn't do well on my last three tests, Professor, and I was wondering if there were any extra credit opportunities I could do.")

Craft supplies = only what you use often and can be easily stowed and loaded. Fabrics can amount superfast, so only what you absolutely need until you can get more money to shop/thrift or until you get back to your main stash.

Hanging cosmetics/undies/etc organizers are AWESOME if you have closet space, so you don't use up drawers. The multi-hooked overdoor hangers are awesome for easy organization also.

Make pillows, get a rug, make a french memo board, pull together essential clothing items, gather essential cosmetics, essential supplies, and don't forget to bring sandals and a robe if there are communal showers and you doubt the sanity of the showers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Soopah
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005 09:01:07 AM »

I agree with the pillows and rug stuff.  They are important although a color scheme shoudl probably be agreed on by you and your roommate.  Also... a scrapbook of all your friends that won't be coming with you to college or a collage because you will miss them.

The idea of a laundry bag was good, but you might want to buy a basket as well for folded clothes.  Keep the bag inside the basket and when things are dry fold them straight out of the dryer, otherwise you never will. 

Make yourself some pjs... decorate yourself some comfy shoes (because walking across campus doesn't lend itself to high heels)  flip flops are huge where i live but... it's Florida... they've always been HUGE.

If you can get some fleece on sale, blankets in the college colors are popular and very useful (for friends or for yourself).  A corkboard or frenchboard as well as a white board for your door are must haves. 

OH!  And decorated school supplies will make you more excited abotu school.  I made some notebooks out of record covers before I came and I couldn't wait to go to class to show them off.  Flower pens, collaged notebooks, etc.

Make yourself some comfy book bags or messenger bags as well.  If you are a particularly trendy person I guess you could wait on that to see what's in style at your school but if you go for comfort and your own personal style then do it now.  Most people don't have a sewing machine in their dorm rooms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
~What is this feeling?~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009 07:28:41 AM »

anyone who has more tips perhaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Binding a Quilt
Quilting: Squaring Up Material
Quilts You Can Make for Kids
Quilts You Can Make
Quilting: Basic Supplies You Will Need
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...