A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yay, my first apron - my first BIG project, plus a question? [7 pictures!]  (Read 2171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

popsicax
« on: March 22, 2009 02:32:27 PM »

MY APRON IS COMPLETED!!
I have been workin on my apron for a week, off and on [mainly the weekends].  I finally finished it about an hour ago and I'm totally stoked as it was the first time I used a pattern in 8 years and the first time I have ever completed such a complex item [which isn't that complex compared to some of the things you all do] and had it look good in the end.  Yes, I made mistakes and I see them but I won't point them out because if you don't know they are there - I am hoping you don't notice them.  +laffs+

I showed Brian [my husband] the pattern, and he was like 'eww, that one is ugly, don't make it' and I was like 'I know the fabric makes it look  bad, but I REALLY like it -  just imagine it with different fabric' and he wa slike 'don't make it, seriously, make this one +points to the other full apron' and then I was done and I put it on and he was like 'OH MY GOD, that is so awesome - it is so flattering and super cute and I can't believe you made that, it look sos good!'

LEARNED:
1.) Sewing curves isn't as hard as it looks
2.) Sewing bias tape onto the edges is harder than it looks
3.) Sewing bias tape around curves is demonic
4.) Never tell your husband anything about your tools or show him how it is funny that the sewing machine company gave you a screwdriver to remove x and y screws yet it doesn't fit because it is too tall.. as he will run off with it and cut it in half ot make it smaller - thus, not being able to turn the screw driver at all it would not work.  =o\
5.) I CAN complete a complex project and actually like how it turns out.  =o)

^progress shot

^artistic progress shot

^my craft workspace that sucks horribly in the dining room tabl

^finished product

^close up in an attempt to show the colors, it failed.

^me wearing it, I look wonderful, I know - my hubby took the picture and our dogs are watching me to make sure I'm safe in my apron.  haha.

^as with everyone else, I have a helper with my sewing projects as well, meet my dog DOT, who is a great dane puppy.  +laffs+

XPOSTED.

I used this pattern:
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3979.htm?search=apron&page=all
but there is a free one here:
http://www.susanbranch.com/shopping/shop5-07/aprontest.pdf
this is the flower fabric:
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Pimatex-Pink-Dots-on-Brown-Cotton-Fabric-Front-Page_stcVVproductId59465802VVcatId537258VVviewprod.htm
this is the dotted fabric:
http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Pimatex-Pink-Dots-on-Brown-Cotton-Fabric-Front-Page_stcVVproductId59465802VVcatId537258VVviewprod.htm

QUESTION:Does anyone know of a website or something that lists all the things tobuy for a home - preferably divided into each room.  Iknow that sounds crazy but I hope to make things for our home to decorate.  For every room.  So far, I know dining room = table cloth, napkins, placemats and kitchen = oven mits/hot pad things to put hot places on & tea towels.. Or for those of you who happen to be doing this as well, maybe you all have a list you could share with me??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009 02:41:56 PM by popsicax » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 02:46:10 PM »

oh man that's totally awesome. number 4 is hilarious XD

This is probably one of my favorite apron designs to date - you know what would make it even more amazing? If it were turned into a summer dress. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
popsicax
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009 02:50:58 PM »

oh man that's totally awesome. number 4 is hilarious XD

This is probably one of my favorite apron designs to date - you know what would make it even more amazing? If it were turned into a summer dress. Tongue

+laffs+  Yeah, it took a lot for me not to go crazy on him.. but he gave me his little screwdriver plus a pair of pliers I don't need.  +laffs+

That's what my husband said.. I should use that pattern to make it a dress +laffs+
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009 03:31:37 PM »

cute apron love the colors and the style.
By the way your great dane pup is adorable!
its always fun to see fellow great dane owners! (Although my baby just passed away Undecided)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wtpdesigns
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009 04:51:49 PM »

the apron is adorable, as well as the fur babies... but as for the question... i always go online to get ideas, like a stores home section... lets see... (including some repeats)

stuff you can sew for the kitchen... towels, curtains, placemats, napkins, napkin rings, pot holders, hot pads (like cloth trivets), grocery bag holder, small appliance cozies, counter protector mats (i use those for in front of the microwave and around the coffee maker), rugs, table runners, table cloths, dish cloths, chair cushions, seat covers, coasters

stuff to sew for the dining room... coasters, curtains, placemats, napkins, napkin rings, table runners, table cloths, seat covers, chair cushions, wine glass markers (with buttons/button holes to go around stem) china covers, flatware keepers with slots for all your utensils

living room... arm chair remote/magazine keeper, coasters, can cozies, table mats (like placemats but if you eat in there or play games, to protect the coffee table), curtains, furniture covers, rugs, mantle cover, cd/dvd holders (for your most watched stuff), tv/movie watchin throws/quilts (these are extra special with foot pockets and sleeves lol) pillows

bedroom... dust ruffle (these are easy, just use an existing one or a fitted sheet and add an overhang you like), pillows, shams, bed cover, duvets, quilts, throws, curtains, vanity protectors (like placemats so you don't spill makeup or something on your furniture), valet (for your guys stuff, change, watch, ring etc holder), garment bags, covered hangers (they rock with slippery clothing that like to fall off of regular hangers) lingerie hangers, jewelry keepers (that roll up or hang from a door or hook), over the door shoe caddies, hamper liner/dirty clothing bags, lingerie washing bags, table cloths (if you have a small table style nightstand), bathroom type vanity skirt

bathroom... towels, rugs, toiletry holder (over the door and roll-up able for trips), toiletry/makeup bags, decorative shower curtains, window curtains, magazine keeper, extra toilet paper cozie, toilet brush cover, hamper liner, vanity protectors (like placemats so you don't spill makeup or something, for easy clean up)

i could go on and on, but theres a starter list for ya... should keep ya busy for YEARS lmao show us everything you make!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
wtpdesigns
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009 04:57:47 PM »

i also wanna add... like you did with the apron, buy lots of coordinating fabrics so you can mix and match, that way everything looks uniform, but you don't od on any one fabric, plus if you do it like that, you can add or take away without having to run around finding the same exact fabrics all the time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
LA Chocoholic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009 05:11:54 PM »

So glad you posted this, because....

A) that's a really cute apron
B) I experienced the bias tape "challenges" (points 2 & 3) when I made an apron last year - am glad to know it's not just me :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jambles

Born and Livin' in the land of OZ!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009 09:09:25 PM »

That is one awesome apron. I love the fabric that you have used for it. Thanks for the link to the tute for it. I cant wait to have a go at one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009 09:53:23 PM »

I really love this apron. It looks very smart on you and you picked some beautiful fabric! Congrats on your first BIG project! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ankhet
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009 10:28:23 PM »

That's awesome! I've been wanting an apron (or a dozen) since I do a lot of baking.. Your apron is beautiful, wonderful inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Biscotti
How to Make Football Shaped Whoopie Pies
Eccles Cakes Recipe
How to Make a One-Pot Almond Crumble Cookie
A Better Way to Eat an Ice Cream Cone
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...