A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tattoo Tees  (Read 1625 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stacysews
« on: March 22, 2009 06:10:37 AM »

I recently make a impulse purchase when I saw Leisure Arts craft books 50% off at Hancock Fabrics.... consequently, Tattoo Tees made it into my cart.  Basically this is a booklet of 25 iron on transfers - here's the results:

This is my before and after picture and my test run - basically, gray doesn't work with this transfers.  They are designed to look vintage so they start off soft and fade slightly after wearing:

My second attempt - awesome.  Too bad this shirt is for my daughter (and consequently doesn't fit me), otherwise, I'd swipe this one for myself.  You can see in her before and after that her image didn't fade that much:

I plan on making another one for myself (in white since it seems to work the best), but here's what I learned from using these:

Start with a light colored (not gray) shirt. The designs are made to give your tee a vintage feel and will start off with a soft look and fade slightly as you wear it so color choice is important.

Pin, pin, pin. The transfers in Tattoo Tees reminds me of the kind of "tattoos" you used to get on gum wrappers as a kid (where you wet your hand and stick the paper to your skin to get the image to come off) - if you barely move it, the image slides. The more you pin, the less likely you will have shifting and the crisper the lines on your finished design.

Protect your work surface (and the other side of your shirt!). There is some ink 'leakage' when you apply heat to your design.

The hotter the iron, the darker the transfer - so press, press, press!

If you're going to put the image on the side of the shirt, offset it slightly to the front. Centering the design makes it so you can't see the image on the front or the back very well!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009 06:47:44 AM »

I actually love both of these designs, reminds me of many of the t's my daughter has brought home.

Sounds like any soft pinks, yellows, baby blues etc would work well too then?

Is it a recent publication in the last year or so? Would love to try it out.
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009 10:29:14 AM »

Sounds like any soft pinks, yellows, baby blues etc would work well too then?

Definitely!  In fact, I'm going to look for a few of those colors this week to make a few more.

Is it a recent publication in the last year or so? Would love to try it out.

I looked it up on Amazon and it says the release date was Sept. 27, 2007.  According to their site, they have one left in stock if you can't find it at your local craft\sewing store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zoeyinfolsom
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009 07:50:16 PM »

I think they turned out great! Makes me want to go buy the book. How many came in the book and how much was it??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009 08:09:53 PM »

There are 25 transfers total, however they vary in size from the large designs (like the ones on the sides of the shirts) to smaller coordinating images and some writing.  The book retails for around $11, but I managed to snag mine for 50% off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madeupnorth
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009 06:34:16 AM »

way cool! I'm always a sucker for swirlies. I wonder how one could make transfers like this oneself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the day job: Urban Threads (rockin' machine/hand embroidery designs)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miss Pop Gives Us a Glitter Nail Tutorial
Kat Von D Makeup Recalled From Sephora
DIY Skin Firming Cellulite Scrub
Tips for Skincare and Finding Your Tone
Elevator Makeover - From Country Girl to City Chic
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...